1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner, Gen2 09 Prius II(Base), all my noobiness in one place!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Crazytwoknobs, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Crazytwoknobs

Crazytwoknobs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2009 Prius base model (previously a rental), 30,000 miles.

I bought the car a few weeks ago, and I'm totally in love.

However, I've got some questions, and I haven't found the answers on this forum, though that may be because I've been searching for the wrong things (Yes, I used the search function first). I figure I'll just ask all of them at once, and be as specific as possible.

1. There is a relay-clicking-buzzing noise coming from what sounds like 10 inches above and three inches left of the driver's left foot that occurs 40% of the times the brakes are applied, and about 5% of the times the accelerator is applied. It occurs immediately upon foot contact with the pedal, regardless of how much pressure is applied. The sound lasts 1-4 seconds, and there is no effect on driving, braking or accelerating. Is this normal?

2. The 12v battery was dead at the dealer when I arrived for the test drive. It was replaced, along with the tires, before purchase. Is this something to worry about? I've still got another few thousand miles with the full warranty, what should I have checked/replaced that would have caused the battery problems? Was it just dead because it was sitting on the lot for so long (75 days)?

3. I haven't seen the traction battery go below 50%. Normal? Driving habits?

4. Does the block heater make much of a difference? I'm in Chicago, anyone's experience with the thing make them glad they bought it?

5. I was on a very slight incline in traffic last week, started braking slowly... and by the time I had stopped completely, it felt like someone was bouncing up and down on the back bumper like a kid on the end of a diving board. Only happened once. Any clues?

Thank you all in advance, in my time lurking here, I've noticed you all are about the nicest people in any forum, and that includes homebrewers!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    :welcome:
    Because the 12 volt battery only powers the computers when starting up, Toyota sized it very small. In normal use this is fine and they tend to last 4 years, just like all car batteries. If you leave the lights on or play the radio with the car not in READY, you can wear down the small battery rapidly. Try to never use electricity in your Prius unless you are in READY. What throws us owners, is that in 4 years when it is going dead, most of us do not think dead battery because we never hear that slow starter sound. Jump starting a Prius incorrectly can cost thousands of dollars, change out your 12 volt battery at the first sign it is low, do not wait.

Mine gets low if I am in the drive through too long. Why IS the guy in front of me ordering for an entire football team and wouldn't it have been faster to ask them what they wanted before getting to the sign?

1 person likes this.
  3. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1. normal...
    2. if the 12v battery is new, shouldnt have to worry about it...just make sure your or interior lights are off...and like jimbo said make sure you are always in ready mode if your are just sitting around listening to the radio
    3. battery indicator when totally full is 80% and fully depleted is 40% so your state of charge is between 80 and 40%...so half would be at 60%...you will see more "green in the winter than summer...and blue is mostly normal...it will very up and down as you drive , depending on whether you are city driving or blasting down the tri state/eisenhower at 80mph...
    4. block heater does tend to get the car warmed up faster and it may help a bit on mpgs
    5. welcome to the VSC/anti slip of the prius...whatever you do, dont pull out in front of anybody on an incline with ice/snow it will feel like a stall because it will cut power to the wheels because toyota doesnt want it to spin the wheels excessively to protect the "transmission" as it were...given there is no conventional transmission as you know it...its a power split device...nor do they want to overspin the electric components...what you felt was the brakes doing their thing on a slippery surface or rough surface...potholes will do the same thing...
    other than that welcome aboard...

1 person likes this.
  4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmn...

Can't quite make out what you mean in "5". This was while braking to a stop, correct? Not under acceleration.

And yes, congrats on the car and welcome to PC!

- D

1 person likes this.
  5. Crazytwoknobs

Crazytwoknobs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, this was slowing from about 5mph to 0mph, and happened right as the car came to a full stop. It got about four bounces in before I let off the brakes. It wasn't violent, but it wasn't comforting either.

Thanks for the replies guys!

6. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is that the discs got a bit rusty sitting in the dealer's lot... try doing this on a deserted street: Get up to about 25 mph, shift the car into neutral by holding the shifter in the n position for a second or so, then brake reasonably firmly to a stop. In neutral the regenerative brakes don't work so it'll all be friction brakes and this will clean them off. Put it back in drive and you're done. When braking in drive the normal braking is by regeneration using the motor/generators until you get down to a few mph then switches to regular friction brakes (discs, pads, drums, shoes).
    This means the friction elements last a long time but you may need to clean them off like this from time to time.

7. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If I'm braking lightly, I get a bouncy/grabby response from the brakes at low speed on both my Prii (2006 and 2008). I think it's normal, and you learn to live with it.