1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner of 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DRogers, Nov 1, 2014.

1. DRogers

DRogers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my first post, about my first hybrid car. I just bought a 2004 Prius with 57000 Km on it. Drove it home tonight and I'm not sure what I should be looking at. I need any and all information about what oils and filter to use, tires, transmission oil, any and all fluids, winter expectations, I don't think it has a block heater does it really need one and how do I check to see if it has one already. what should I be looking for to ensure my new purchase lasts as long as it can. I know a lot of questions but I've done some reading on the site and I have to say the lingo confuses the hell out of me, not sure what half the acronyms are about. Like what is ICE? Any information would be more than I know right now.

I bought the car as a commuter car to and from work about 150km a day, any info and how to get the most mpg.

What should the display screen be doing while I'm driving, I see a lot of arrows going from engine to gen, gen to tires engine to tires. battery says its about 3/4 charged but not sure if that's how it should read or not.

thanks a lot.

Burna J likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and congrats! sounds like a great find. first, everything you need is in the owners manual. get all your supplies from a dealer or online dealer for better pricing. don't mess with non oem supplies. a block heater is not necessary, but some people like them. find out how old your 12 volt battery is, if you don't already know. a weak one can be a source of trouble. ICE is infernal combustion engine. read up on pulse and glide technique for mpg's, you can find all sort of helpful vids on youtube and check out member john1701's web page, he has a ton of useful info. don't watch the screen too much while driving, the battery will show anywhere between 2 purple bars and full light green at different times, mostly half to 3/4 full, completely normal. 2004 was a great year, all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome! The best thing to do is just drive it. You'll understand more of the details and tips later.

4. DRogers

DRogers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read the owners manual last night cover to cover, even the supplement , now I have a question about the VSC light on the dash, according to the book the light should come on after the IG-ON mode is enabled and go out after the READY light comes on, all the other required light come on but not the VSC light, if this happens I'm supposed to take it to a dealership. Any thoughts? Is there a fuse I could check first? I have an INNOVA 3130 CANOBDII scan tool, will this work on the hybrid? I've read different things on this site about OBDII readers some work some don't.

5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your Prius probably isn't equipped with VSC, my 2005 isn't. Therefore their is no light on start up, it depends on what package you have. I do believe mine is a package 2

DRogers likes this.
  6. DRogers

DRogers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's good news! If you're correct. How do I tell which package I have? And what options are included in each package? I know dumb questions but I don't know how to tell.

#6 DRogers, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use a quality 5W-30 oil. I use full synthetic brand oil: Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, whatever Walmart puts on sale. Use the Toyota oil filter and engine air filter, they are high quality and very inexpensive if you buy from one of the dealers that sell parts at a discount over the web. Regarding tires, Costco sells Michelin and Bridgestone Ecopia, either choice is great. If you have substantial winter snow you should get quality snow tires for use in that season.

Use Toyota Super Long Life Coolant and Toyota ATF WS. Replace the transaxle ATF now, and at 60K mile intervals. Change the engine oil at 5K to 8K mile intervals. Change the engine and cabin air filters at 30K mile intervals. The coolants should first be changed at 100K miles; then at 50K mile intervals.

If the car has a block heater it should have an AC cord sticking out of the radiator grille. You don't really need one unless you want to eke out the last few tenths of mpg and are willing to trade off a higher electric utility bill for that.

Regarding mpg, maintain constant speed on your commute, avoid sudden braking, gradual braking allows maximum regeneration (converting motion to electric power). Inflate tires to 44/42 psi front/rear.

Inspect the brake pads and brake shoes. They should be in almost new condition given the low odometer reading. Brake pad thickness when new is 11 mm while brake shoe thickness when new is 4 mm.

Mini VCI is the best (and cheapest) diagnostic tool that you can obtain for any Toyota but especially for the Prius. You need a Windows XP or Windows 7, 32 bit OS laptop to run this. If no warning lights remain on after the car is READY, maybe your car does not have VSC functionality.