1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner of a 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by icemchine9, Sep 22, 2014.

1. icemchine9

icemchine9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Everyone,

Just bought a red 2010 Prius II with 33k miles on it. Pretty excited to upgrade from my 2000 Saturn Sl1!

Picking it up Wednesday after they touch up the bumper. I'm mad at myself for falling for the extended warranty and will be canceling it as soon as possible. Also wish I had asked how many keys it came with, I'm now paranoid it only has one. Hopefully I get good news on that on Wednesday.

Been reading this site a lot before and after the purchase and it's been extremely helpful (although I did lose a lot of my weekend to obsessively reading threads...)

Looking forward to seeing what I can get out of this machine!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You should have the dealer check to see that all recalls have been completed.

4. icemchine9

icemchine9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great stuff guys, I will definitely do that!

Thanks for the help!

5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Congratulations & welcome.

Please post a photo of your new Prius when you have it.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

7. icemchine9

icemchine9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Picking it up now. Cancelled the horrible warranty they sold me (didn't take the one with better terms either.) Salesman was really good but the finance guy was a sleezeball...

Getting 2 keys! And the bumper looks good. Getting inspected now and then it's mine!

Data Daedalus and ftl like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    shwaeeeeet!(y)

9. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's been 18 hours! :)
    Please tell us, what your first impressions are. And don't spare any details :D
    I have a red 2008 T Spirit, I call it "The Spaceship", and I'm....literally over the moon with it....pun intended!

10. icemchine9

icemchine9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First impressions are…

Love the gas mileage! The main reason that I got the car was the gas mileage. I now commute about 50 miles round trip a day so I was filling up my Saturn at least once a week. Was getting probably 28mpg with that. For the first half a tank of gas with the Prius I'm averaging 53! Cutting gas usage in half is crazy. I'm also kind of a tech nerd so all the display info I find to be really cool (although probably dangerous because I'm constantly looking to see how my mpg is doing…)

I think it was good for me to come from the Saturn to the Prius because I actually think the Prius has significantly more power than the Saturn. I could see coming from a vehicle that had some more strength and going down to a Prius could be frustrating but I think its great (maybe people are just trying to make the Prius look bad.) Only thing I've really had to adjust to are the slow starts after being stopped at an intersection but thats not a big deal.

Shame on me for not being thorough before I took the car from the dealership but, the middle seat belt in the back does not work at all and is actually ripping the plastic piece off of the seat. Called to bring it back in, this should be something they have to fix since it is a CPO and part of that inspection is that all the seat belts work correctly. Going to use that trip to see if they can change the reverse beeping as well (driving my wife crazy.)

I'll let you know what I get on my first commute tomorrow for MPG.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  11. icemchine9

icemchine9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Took the car in to get the seatbelt checked out. Turns out the original owner had a water bottle fall behind the seat and was blocking the seatbelt from moving. Asked about the backup beep and they at first didn't believe me that it could be changed but I insisted they ask a technician and yes, it can be changed of course. They didn't have time to do it today but when I get my first free oil change from them they will switch it to the single beep. All is well with the Prius!

Btw...I got 63mpg on the first commute. Averaging 52 for the tank.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Good good job !! Regarding summer mileage ... enjoy it while you can because during the winter your mileage will suffer. But all is not lost - there are several things that you can do to limit the loss. So keep reading - especially some of the mileage during winter months threads.

13. bclinton

bclinton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Can you share the details of the extended warranty? I agreed to get one for my 2012 with 19k miles. It was 8 years or 80k miles bumper to bumper. It was $699. I only put about 9k miles a year on my cars so I figured it may be worth it because time seems to be as much an enemy as miles.

14. Garth020762

Garth020762 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone,
    First, while researching cars, I found PriusChat.com invaluable for information. I also just bought a 2010 Prius II (blue ribbon in color) with 80300 miles on it that was just taken off certified pre-owned for $12,000. I think I got the right car, for the right price, for the right finance plan that fits me. What do you think?
    First impressions...

• I cannot believe how little money it took for me to fill up that 11.9 gallon tank, even with gas being $2.50 a gallon still in NY state. Mind you, I just got done driving a 15 year old GMC Jimmy that was getting me 17 mpg. Loving that already!
    • I had the 12 volt AUX battery changed before I left the dealership on the advice of this website and after talking to the head mechanic in charge. He said the most common problem this time of year was with that battery and it being five years old already.
    • Since I live in snowy western NY state, I am thinking of getting extra rims and snow tires. Easy to bolt on and bolt off.
    • Strong point of reliability and re-sale value. It was between purchasing a 2013 Honda Civic with 23,000 miles ($2000 more) and this Prius. I figured I couldn't go wrong with either purchase. My wife and daughter both own Honda's and I love those also.
    • Am I concerned about the overall battery replacement? Yes. But like someone posted on here, any part can go at anytime on a car.
    • Has anyone replaced their factory radio (I have the non JBL system) with an after market radio? If so, what brand? And why?
    • I have replaced the key fob battery in both of my remotes.
    • Anyone invest in car seat covers?
    • I plan on calling the dealership again and ask about my next oil change. Not sure if the last owner used synthetic oil or the standard oil. Any way I can tell if I don't have a history of the service done?
    • Is there a timing belt in Prius? I am used to changing out a timing belt/water pump every 85,000 to 100,000 mile in a Honda.
    Thanks everyone for time and thanks in advance for comments.

Bob

15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. No belts of any sort live under the hood.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Used to hate that beep too. Changed my mind after it saved me several times from parking lot crash.

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

Good Luck!