1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner? Want MPG help? Read this first.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by galaxee, Jan 24, 2006.

1. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(obtuseangler @ Sep 28 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]325344[/snapback]</div>
    I'm chuckling because I parked next to two Prii this week. Chatted up the owners...Neither knew about
    P&G or coasting or stealth...they simply "drive" the car (although one person does go to Queens every day from Long Island)....Each of them said the average around 50 mpg with parkway and around 45 for local...

I'm still struggling with getting above 42 mpg for my local errand driving.......

I still think it does help, though, to use the P&G and coasting and Electric-only....I was much lower before I did...

terri

2. m0nkey

m0nkey New Member

Hi everyone. I'm a brand new Prius owner (got a 2007 Package #3 on 9/27), and this forum has been fantastic. I was really excited to see a link to a guide on how to get good MPG, but the link isn't working :( I keep getting a "404 URL Not Found" error. Was the content lost during the PC downtime? Is this information available in another format for us newbies?

Thanks!
    Anna

3. hammermill

hammermill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I read the article quite a while ago but have been unable to load it since I took delivery of my '07 on 9/26. I also assume it was lost in the most recent server meltdown. Perhaps someone has a copy saved that they would be willing to post?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a look at Greenhybrid.com for the same article, Danny hasn't gotten our database completely restored yet.

5. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

In addition to Greenhybrid.com....I found this article helpful ...I'm still a new owner...got my car in July, 06...but my mileage went from 30 mpg on first tank (which may have been the "dealer's tank syndrome") to 42.5 mpg...I am on my fourth tank and holding at this.

http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-saving-tips/maximizing-mileage-toyota-prius.html

Hopefully, when Evan's article comes back up here, you will take the time to read that as well....all great stuff!!

terri

6. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(m0nkey @ Oct 1 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]326619[/snapback]</div>
    The link in the original post doesn't work for me either, but a link in one of efusco's subsequent replies worked for me just now (for his "Why don't I get the EPA mileage?").

Apologies if this is old news but I just came across this thread.

And thanks to all those who have provided such helpful info for us new owners!

7. obtuseangler

obtuseangler New Member

I had the same problem. You might try this link for info. I found it on this site. I haven't gone through it yet, but looks interesting.

http://john1701a.com/

Took the Prius on its first highway road trip this weekend. 47.5 mpg at 70 mph on a 350 mile round trip. Close enough to EPA highway estimate for me. BTW, if you put a pillow on the center armrest it's much more comfortable on a long drive.

8. emilynagle

emilynagle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Sep 29 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]325628[/snapback]</div>
    Funny. It took me a tank or so to get into the consumption screen and begin to drive differently. Now I can't imagine not monitoring it and I've only driven a whopping two thousand miles so far. One of the best things this car can do is make us more mindful drivers.. hopefully a little safer and definitely more aware of how we are using energy. Just think.. If we all, no matter what we drove, could collectively let off the gas pedal a little how much energy we would save.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MechaJohn @ Jul 31 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]295249[/snapback]</div>
    Can I give you one more suggestion? Stop driving a gasoline car 3.5 miles! Unless it is insanely hot, or insanely cold or wet, that's bike-riding distance. Get in shape, save money, save gas and save the environment all at the same time!

My rough rule of thumb is that a mile or under I walk. Five miles or under I ride my bike. 100 miles or under I drive an electric car. Over that, I drive the Prius.

Of course all rules are made to be broken, and I now commute 24 miles on my bicycle. I'm a huge EV proponent, but I honestly rarely drive ANY vehicle that weighs more than I do.

The best way to save gas is to avoid driving whenever possible.

Salubprius likes this.
  10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i just updated the link in the original post to the *functional* article database.

11. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 24 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]196627[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, I read it, printed it for my husband and I thank you. It answers all my questions. I just want to brag that on our first three tanks we have hit 45, 50, and 47. I think that's pretty amazing. I drive a the car on short trips where it doesn't get to warm up, and my husband drives it on long commutes of 75 to 120 round trip. We don't really have the opportunity to speed, at least I don't. I hope he doesn't do much of that.

I am loving this car. Thanks for the reference.

12. stvpriustouring

stvpriustouring New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Nov 12 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]348023[/snapback]</div>
    I just got my Prius Touring a month ago and my first tank average is 43mpg. I guess this is pretty accurate for most people. Of course, the mileage gained depend very much on the driving habit and also the condition of the road. If you start driving downhill for 100 miles, of course your MPG will be much greater than 43. :lol:

13. crypter

crypter New Member

Hello all,

Great thread - I was turned on to the Prius through some engineers I work with a few weeks ago and have just purchased a new '07 this past Saturday. I'm about 2/3 through the initial tank and the display is showing a cumulative efficiency of 47.5 MPG so far. Is this better than average for the first tank of the break-in period? I am still adjusting to the new driving style - it is definitely different from the Acura RSX that now belongs to the dealership...

BTW, I love this car - and may perhaps turn it into a Prius+ after the warranty is up (my initial chats with friends at work was about the 100+ MPG Calcars.org vehicles). I'm a big fan of hybrid/dual use vehicles and am also looking forward to building a "flybrid" car/airplane :eek: at some point in the not-to-distant future.

Happy Holidays

cc B)

14. obtuseangler

obtuseangler New Member

Crypter,

Your initial mileage is higher than most reports I have read. One of the interesting characteristics of this vehicle is that there seem to be a lot of variables that effect mileage for better or worse. Some are internal to the vehicle, some are attributable to the behavior of the driver, and some are external. Across the board, mileage seems to increase over time, all other things being equal. I attribute this to break in of the vehicle and as well as of the of the operator. A primary external factor seems to be temperature. When the AC is used it seems to draw electic power. When the heater is on the motor runs more often. Recently we have had very moderate temperatures. This week my wife averaged 60 mpg for the first time on her 36 mile round trip commute. Sleet is rolling in tonight, so we may not see 60 again until spring....

I, too, am open to reasonable opportunities to improve the efficiency of the vehicle over time. In my view the most realistic hope is that the technology of the batteries will improve to provide for decreased weight and increased storage capacity. BTW, in case you need another reason to feel good about your purchase, Consumer Reports just named the Prius as the slowest depreciating vehicle sold in the US. Enjoy.

15. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcH @ Mar 17 2006, 08:22 PM) [snapback]226243[/snapback]</div>
    Sheryl, you sound like a good candidate for a Plug-In Prius.

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unless it's close to freezing my 1st 5 minutes is around 25mpg. The 2nd 5 minutes is usually very close to 50mpg with the other intervals almost always 50+

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Mar 18 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]226583[/snapback]</div>

17. Woof

Woof New Member

Ok, count me in--Just bought a 2007 Barcelona Red Metallic Prius two days ago.

I'm in love. :)

My daily commute to work is 70+ miles, a perfect Prius commute. Five minutes to leave the neighborhood streets of DC and I'm on the highway. My two-day average fuel economy is 47-something mpg. Heheh...I can't wait to get really good milage like some of the pro's on this site.

I'm completely a numbers freak (engineer here, surprised?), and I take great delight in analyzing the engine performance data. And I know you're doing it too... :lol: Who knew Priusing could be such fun?

One topic I haven't seen discussed at length is the pride in reduced emissions. Everyone chases high mpg's, because it is easily monitored. Yet, even if gas cost $0.15/gal, there is a valuable savings in reduced combustion by-products (CO, CO2, sulfur, and nitrogen oxides). My Prius might be red, but I'm green--While improved fuel economy and reduced emissions travel hand-in-hand, is there any way to track/gauge/relish emissions independently?

DC Woof

18. LanceinOregon

LanceinOregon New Member

I love my new Prius in every way, except for the terrible mileage I am getting!!!! :( :(

Just had imy Prius for one week now, have driven just over 120 miles.

My trips are generally short. I live right in the middle of the city, and seldom have to travel more than 10 min to get to a destination. 20 min would be a max trip for me. The entire Metro area here is only about 220,000 people. Beyond that, just trees, rivers, and farms.

The weather has been super cold here this past week. Highs were in the 30's most of the week. A couple of days even had highs below freezing, and we got snow those days. Only today did the high finally get to 45.

Anyway, my beautiful lovely Prius is only giving me a consistent 29 MPG! Boo hoo!! This is terrible!!! A Honda Civic, the other car I was considering, could have matched this.

Oh well. I did not buy this car just for the high mileage. I really like the package of features that it offers. Still, though, I do want to save on gas.

Lance ( Unhappy with Mileage in Oregon )

19. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emmy-n @ Oct 30 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]341023[/snapback]</div>
    Yes! It really does help...I am getting around 38-39 now in winter, but I am still taking mostly short trips....when I go to our Prius Club gatherings, I drive my "longest" trip and it bumps me a bit.

As you said, we all do our bit. My town has a sticker that entitles me to free parking everywhere, including train station, all parks and beaches!!

terri

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 30 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]341087[/snapback]</div>

Good suggestions ....for those who are able to do these things...let's remember though, that some of us are older and not able to ride bikes and or walk even 3.5 miles...also location. I live in an area of Long Island that is ALL HILLS, steep ones....I can take short walks up to our stores...1/2 mile, but not longer unless it is not too cold and not too hot. I would love to be able to ride 24 miles on a bike. I had to give my bike up last year...I had a 10-speed that I would walk to top of my hill and then ride on the "flatter" areas...but physical and health constraints have removed that option for me.

....I'm not that old, 64....but just can't ride bikes around here. I do work out at the gym twice a week, so I'm no slouch...

That being said...I couldn't agree more about not driving when one could walk or ride a bike! We need exercise!!

terri

20. LanceinOregon

LanceinOregon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 30 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]341087[/snapback]</div>
    Alas, some of us are older, and have health issues. I recently had knee surgury, and now have 20% less cartilage in my left knee. And I had this surgery to get ready for a total replacement of my left hip. I had to get the knee healthy, so I can hopefully rehab successfully after the hip replacement.

Now you may ask why I have all of these problems on my left side? Well, I had a real bad accident riding my bicycle. Got totally thrown over the handle bars, somersaulting in the air, and landing hard down on a concrete bicycle path on my left hip. It is now badly arthritic.

Of course, if I had not been an avid bike rider and avoiding car usage, I might not of hurt myself so bad like this. The accident was so traumatic, I was not able to ride my bicycle any more, despite the fact it only suffered minor damage. I was too scared of having another accident like it.

Anyway, be very careful riding your bike. There is nothing surrounding your body to give it any protection from injury.

Lance