1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius c owner reporting

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by PriusC'er, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2007 Fit Sport

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, except Danny's review here made all these other reviews sound too conservative on the mileage. Reality is painting a different picture. I can't imagine there would be any compelling reason for me as a 2010 liftback owner to "upgrade" to the c (other than the worrisome intermittent knocking on startup defect on the 2010s).

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...that's too bad...but what's worse? If you have people completely removing their headrests?

It's too bad if IMO a better design is abandoned because people are too lazy to click a head rest up a few notches if they are sitting in a backseat.

And I don't think it's necessarily any safer. If blindspots are prevelant? People are just going to remove the bigger headrests...and then? You have the risk that they leave them in the garage, house, or just totally unused.

Or they don't remove them and you have a blind spot.

I'd really advocate for the integrated headrest. People have to take some responsibilty for the common sense of adjusting them when the Do need them. But alas...from a legal liabilty standpoint...I'm surprised we don't have huge headrests that are totally unremovable...protecting ourselves from ourselves.

1 person likes this.
  4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Big? I'm no so sure...these numbers above are not manually calculated, so I'm withholding judgement. However, after a 1200-mile interstate trip with hills aplenty, I managed 52.8 on the readout on my Gen III (of course it was probably more like 50 given the known margin of error that favors the hybrid).

5. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I believe only Hawaii has been selling the C's - from about 02/17. I suspect the Summer Rain mentioned is the one my salesman called me to come look at to see the color to make sure I liked what I had reserved. As I mentioned in another thread - I ordered one from the April shipment and when the sales guy called me last week I nearly had a heart attack before he told me it was already sold.:)

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yes... but we have heard hundreds of stories from first time prius drivers getting mpg in 30's, let alone reviewers... now these first time drivers are getting high 40's to high 50's, same as reviewers... big difference imho.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

you would be surprised how many people left them down while driving, and then someone would sit down and it would push uncomfortably against their back causing complaints.

or they would leave it up at highest level, which then left no visibility and looked bad too.

8. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    He's in the only US state that has received c's so far: Hawaii.

9. LizKauai

LizKauai First PriusC3 owner on Kauai!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I started in 2006 with a PriusIV and practiced the pulse and glide method of driving. That works with almost any car. I just back my foot off a little to try to reach "black status" when traveling at a good clip.
    My average is about 56 mpg.
    Looking forward to even better mileage with the Prius C3!

10. PriusC'er

PriusC'er Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here are responses to some posted questions:

- Road noise
    It's quieter than my old Camry, but again, not quiet like a higher end car. But my wife describes it as "super quiet." Plenty quiet enough to talk on the phone. The phone sound quality is very good, no difficulties hearing anything. Sorry Jayin, no Android phone to test.

- MPG calculations
    I am only reporting on the data the display provides. I'm assuming it is accurate and besides, it may take a few weeks until I need to fill up gas to really compare.

- Tires
    Goodyear Assurance P175/65R15

- Gas tank
    Listed as 9.5 gallons in the owners manual. Haven't had to fill up yet since the dealer provided a full tank of gas; started with 5 miles on the odometer and it's now at 173 miles. The fuel gauge shows 6 bars remaining out of 10.

- 12 mile highway stretch
    Tailwinds of 15-25 mph going out, same headwinds coming back. Outside temp 80 degrees. The drive includes rolling hills and a gradual rise in elevation from sea level to 1100 feet and back down to sea level; same thing on return 12-mile trip.

- Vehicle proximity notification system
    Someone in another thread asked about the sound. PriusChat will not allow a .wav sound file to upload so I have it attached as a zip file if anyone is interested. Disregard the clicking noise in the middle of the 3-second clip from my footstep. The sound is as reviewers have described it, a synthesized electric motor sound, and not very loud.
    View attachment prius_c_sound.wav.zip

- Radio photo
    Someone in another thread asked what the Level 2 radio/CD player looked like (apologies for the blurriness):
    prius_c_radio.jpg

- Other photos
    The professional photogs' shots on review sites are really good compared to anything I could shoot (as the above photo illustrates). It really does look just like the review photos.

Hope this helps!

9 people like this.
  11. Alexma

Alexma Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question on the power windows.

Are all the windows Auto UP and DOWN?

I like this feature on my Prii and would hope they included it on the C.

12. PriusC'er

PriusC'er Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Power windows
    - Auto up and down on the driver side window only.

FYI, just got back from a 7 mile roundtrip on surface streets including a sharp climb up + down a 250 ft hill (both ways) with 3 people on board -- 73.9 mpg.

3 people like this.
  13. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have a Corolla (soon to be a Prius c). Currently, I shift my car into neutral anytime I'm on a downhill grade and there is not a car directly behind me. Are we on the same page here? If not, please explain your pulse and glide method in a non-hybrid. Thanks. :)
    I'm looking forward to the traditional gear shift in the Prius c allowing me to shift into neutral on city streets and just coast along with better aerodynamics compared to my Corolla. :car:
    I'm going to shoot high for the mpgs in my future Prius c.
    Dianne said she was going to sell me one for cost plus one dollar. ;)
    I wish.

14. Alexma

Alexma Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    too bad on the auto up on the other three windows

15. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's amazing.

What is the instantaneous mpg reading when you are driving a constant 50mph?
    When you lift your foot off the accelerator, do you feel any resistance or does it feel like it's just coasting in neutral? Did the regen engage immediately when you lifted off the accelerator? Can you discuss some of the driving techniques/style and how the car responded on this 73.9mpg trip? Did you accelerate gently on electric, until max mph when ice turns on? (what is that speed anyway?)

Thanks! :):):)

16. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Packitt's blog explains very well optimal driving using any Toyota hybrid. I read it yesterday and recommend it to anybody getting a Prius c.

In one of the posts, he explains one should NOT put the gear shift on N beyond a certain speed. The system actually works best in D. BTW, the HSD system does not have a gear shift, just a selector. The power split device is not a gearbox.

1 person likes this.
  17. PriusC'er

PriusC'er Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't drive it any differently than how I drive a regular car. That being said, my better half says I drive like an old man. It was in ECO mode; no EV mode at all. It drove and responded like a regular car.

I find I can rarely use pure EV mode. It automatically switches out if you accelerate too quickly or go above 25 mph. I only use it to go into my garage, but my wife uses it in slow traffic, small streets and parking garages.

If I didn't look at the energy monitor graphic, I would not know if I am using electric or gas; it's very seamless. When I take my foot off the accelerator, I think it coasts just like a regular car. When I coast, I see the energy monitor showing the battery recharging.

Toyota does not advise using N; there is no battery regeneration so it's better to keep it in D.

18. Alexma

Alexma Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is Dianne Whitmire?

19. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^He was kidding.

PriusC'er, thanks for the extra info. On a 34-mile round trip on Saturday (trip ranging from 30mph town speeds to 55mph state hwy, 75 mph interstate and then city), I somehow managed 63.9 readout on my Gen III (higher than I usually see). A combination of cruise control and as much pulsing and gliding as possible likely helped. However, the liftbacks are known to display ~5% better MPG than is actually being achieved, so it's likely closer to 60. Still, I can hardly complain. I recall reading in a review that the c's calculated MPG is actually closer to reality than that of the prior gen liftbacks (2010-2011). I am once again thinking of "upgrading" to the c thanks to your testimony.

20. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks Prius C'r for your post. If you have a chance
    can you take some photos of your new Prius.

I have to believe everyone here is waiting for more
    info on your driving expierence with your Prius C

Alfon