1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius C owners please post

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by alfon, Mar 9, 2012.

1. SK8TERBOY

SK8TERBOY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well i got 52.3 miles in a 85 miles trip so is more better than the 2006 prius that i got i love my new prius c and has better features like the moon roof and sound system

2. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Is that calculated or computer? Was that mostly
    highway driving?

3. BuckeyePhil

BuckeyePhil New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have owned my 2011 Prius for a few weeks now. I have read that it takes sevaral thousand miles to get a true indication of an accurate mpg reading. I live in Maine and was getting 52.5 mpg in cold weather (computer calculated). During this recent warm stretch, my mpg went up to about 59.8 (computer calculated). I have yet to manually calculate. How far below the computer calculations does it normally run? I tend to drive the speed limit and I am appalled at all the Prius drivers out there that drive like a "bat out of hell" all the time. I tend to get passed while driving the speed limit like people are trying to prove a point, but I am laughing all the way to the bank! I went from driving a 2011 Toyota Tundra (5.7L/V-8), so the gas savings is so very apparent.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Deleted reply to BuckeyePhil. Inappropriate thread. This is Prius c. (I wish I _could_ post. :p)

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just filled up the C again, car indicated 52.2 mpg's but after calculating myself it was 50.66. That's was primarily rural highway driving about 60 to 63 mph. 421.2 miles on 8.313 gallons is pretty nice compared to my Fit's 300 miles on about 9 gallons.

twalatimer likes this.
  6. meehow09

meehow09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just filled up my gas tank for the first time. I drove 524 miles on a tank of gas- 8.3749 gallons of gas, so that is an average of 62mpg!

For my next tank, I want to go 600 miles on a tank of gas.

7. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^Well done.

8. PriusofDoom

PriusofDoom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I can only wish, that's outstanding!

9. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I hope you get better than my Prius Hatchback because I am going to add a C to my Stable soon. :D

10. rlalford

rlalford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Today, I drove from my Prius c from work to a local REI -- a total of 31.5 miles one way, with 64 mpg indicated! This route varied from 35-55 mph, with no interstate travel. Hopefully, I'll have calculated mileage figures soon ....

Also, I've found that the more smoothly I've driven, the better my Prius c has responded. For one, I've attempted to coast more, when I can ...

11. edfishel

edfishel New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Did the second fill-up tonight for a true 53.8 miles per gallon combined highway and city driving (mostly commuting to work approximately 26 miles).
    The route into work is downhill and indicates as much as 70 miles per gallon. The route home indicates 50 miles per gallon. Also had several short trips which ate up the gas mileage.

12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just did another fillup and got 58.1 mpg went 510.2 on the tank and put 8.784 gallons. This C gets more miles the what EPA says?

13. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Nice!

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of drivers can get better than EPA, especially in a hybrid like the Prius. Some get much worse than EPA also. That is why they add the clause "Your Mileage May Vary". The testing EPA uses cannot account for every variable that a driver may experience so it is just an average for average driving conditions.

There are many folks getting well over EPA in all of the Prius models. The c seems to be one of the easier Prius models to get above EPA, however, and that is a good thing. :)

15. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Remember mpg's with a Prius more than any
    other car the weather conditions have a major
    effect on your MPG's.

If you get 58 mpg true calculated mpg's in warm
    weather like southern California you will not get
    the same mpg's in the northwest Washington or
    where I live in northwest Oregon where temps
    in the mid 40's, rain, water standing on roadway,
    headlights always on, windhield wipers always on,
    defroster always on.

Here mpg's will be in the mid to high 40's. I know from personal
    expirence. In summer were a few days a year temps. actually
    go above 70 degrees and it does not rain for maybe a week
    its easy to get well over 50 mpg's calculated.

This is the main reason why you see some Prius C
    owners only getting in the mid to high 40's mpg to other getting
    60 mpg's.

16. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks guys for the info. On this tank I'm going to take off more aggressive but still drive smart to see how my mpg changes. The more full Throtle the better. I love how it pulls. Have no problems pulling past poeple going 80mph if need be.

17. Tycho_Brahe

Tycho_Brahe New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure how accurate this is since I haven't had a chance to calculate it manually but for my first tank it indicates 58.1 for 390 miles. It was a mixture of city and highway. For my last trip from the store yesterday I drove it 7 miles and got an insane estimate for that short trip - 79.6. I find it really hard to believe but I suppose estimates for longer trips are more accurate. This time of the year I haven't had to use my AC very often.

Attached Files:

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is very accurate. I bet your trip from the store started with a warm engine. A short trip through residential or low speed avenues could easily net 70mpg+ with efficient driving. I notice this when I pull off the freeway after my 48mile commute to get fuel. I refuel then drive the couple of miles home and my mpg will be in the high 60s for that short trip.

Your 58mpg tank is pretty awesome. It would likely translate to about 55-55.5 actual which is still damned good!

19. priusc_rva

priusc_rva New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a brand new Prius C Three owner and very excited about these posts! I just got my "little Habanero" today from the dealer.

I was doing a lot of highway driving (65+) and getting awesome mileage and was wondering if I was an anomaly. Great to see that everyone is having the same experience. My commute is about 20 miles each way to work daily (city driving to get to interstate, then interstate 60-70 mph for about 18 miles each way). Since I'm going on my tank of gas from the dealer, I'm going to reserve judgement on my MPG until I get to fill up myself.

Question for the forum: Does everyone drive in ECO mode? Is there any other benefit to driving in ECO mode other than controlling throttle and erratic acceleration? I've been driving mostly in ECO mode, but a few times I've taken it off to play around on the highway and see how responsive the car can really get.

Happy Driving!

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Wisconsin and definitely notice big differences in mpg's with cold or wind. Also short trips before it fully warms up kill mpg's to. I am still averaging around 48 ish since owning the car. I drive highway to work about 35 miles and I've had days where I've gotten as low as 42 mpg's on the way to work and others as high as 59 so there is a lot of flucuation. But 42 on a bad day still blows darn near every car out of the water so I can't complain.