1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Mfrs Warrenties By State

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by MrBillTulsa, Feb 6, 2012.

1. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did a search for this info but came up short.

Did I hear that New Prius Manufacturer's Warrenties could vary due to state of purchase or state of registration? Specifically, I think I heard that the California cars had longer warrenty coverage on certain hybred components.

Can anyone clearify this? Terms, dates, and times would be very helpful.

Thank you!

MrBill :eek:

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Search CARB warranty

3. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The CA registered cars are best with 10 year, 150K mile warranty on their hybrid battery systems. It does vary by state. Other states are 96 months (8 years) and 100K miles.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think more accurately, CA and CARB compliant states have warranties equal to the CA warranty.

1 person likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    States adopting the California standards include Arizona (2012 model year), Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's in your warranty booklet. You'll see the included CARB states at the time yours was printed.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beware that not all CARB state warranties are the same. My 2010 warranty booklet calls out PA and WA separate from the other states. We get better coverage on some things than non-CARB states, but don't get the 10 year / 150k traction battery warranty of full CARB states.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Fuzzy, has 2011 changed anything for WA ?
    I vaguely remember reading that WA accepted CARB, but decided that it would only become active after OR.

The important point for car owners to realize is that state joining the CARB party is not retroactive.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ WA was often described as a CARB state before I bought my 2010, but a few sources refined that to 'partial-CARB state'. I'm not aware of any changes since, but will need to check some good sources before giving a definitive answer.

PS. Starting with model year 2009, new car registrations in WA must be CARB compliant. But I'm seeing information only that this applies to emissions standards, not warranty requirements. See Clean car emission requirements and What are Washington’s emission standards?

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am not positive I have this right, but I think the warranty goes hand in hand with the emissions, while WA has not signed on to CARB's ZEV mandate.

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I see oddball warranty statements regarding PA and WA when I look at service bulletins. For example, the replacement intake manifold to correct cold start knocking that applies to '10-'11:

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
    • This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60
    months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    • For California specification Prius vehicles sold, registered, and operated in California,
    Connecticut, Maine, Maryland (’11 MY), Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York,Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont, the Intake Manifold is covered under the California
    Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 180 months or 150,000 miles, whichever
    occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    • For California specification Prius vehicles sold, registered, and operated in Pennsylvania and
    Washington, the Intake Manifold is covered under the California Emission Control Warranty
    which is in effect for 84 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
    in-service date.
    • Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this
    bulletin.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While not seeing what I was searching for, I did see this on a number of Subaru pages:

"The states of Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington elected not to adopt the PZEV emission warranty."