1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius or Sonata

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Craigmri, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK its officially the 11th hour!!

Our new Prius III Solar is supposed to arrive today. This morning my wife and I are getting cold feet. Initially we were gonna buy a 2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo(available in a couple of months) but when we checked out the Prius we were impressed.

I hate when I have such indecision!!!

Craig

2. Barefoot

Barefoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My brother got a Sonata, I wasn't impressed.

Sitting in the passenger seat felt like I was sitting on the floor.

He wife is about 5'5, and has to sit on a pillow to be able to see out of the windshield.

3. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Go with the Prius! When I read the title I thought you were debating between the Prius and the new Hybrid Sonota that's coming... I can see debating those two, but would still go with the Prius.

One thing to seriously consider, value after a couple years. If you only keep a car for two to three years, I think you'll find the Sonota will depreciate faster than the Prius. Also, if gas spikes again (which it's already started) the Prius may actually increase in value being as they are selling them at thousands below Invoice at the moment! Just my biased .02...

4. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suggest that you are experiencing a certain amount of buyer's remorse and a new found fear of the Prius.
    The buyer's remorse is understandable - you are about to expend a considerable amount of dough, and you want to be sure you got it right.
    You probably read a bunch of stuff about the Prius, here and elswhere on-line. That is where the "new found fear of the Prius" comes in.
    There is a lot of bull crap about the Prius moving around the internet, and a some of it is right here at this forum - people whining about every little thing that happens to their Prius and over-thinking it, from loss of paint due to road gravel, to inabilty to understand how to operate their Prius because they failed to read the manual.

The Prius is a good vehicle and reliable. It does not require a degree in rocket science to operate it. It does require a little adjustment, since it is Japanese and it is quite different than other vehicles in many ways.
    It does not require that you learn a whole new way of driving (like P&G). I just drive mine like any other vehicle. However, it does require getting familiar with the normal operation, just like any other vehicle.

I cannot tell you whether the Sonata or the Prius is right for you. You have to make that decision.
    I suggest that you might want to hold off the final sign-off on the Prius. Ask to take the car overnight, and try it out a little first. Also, do the same for the Sonata. [A 20-minute test drive is not going to tell you much.]
    Alternatively, hold off for now and rent a Prius and a Sonata. Try them out for several days, using them to commute and for a daytrip. See which one you are more comfortable with.

Whatever you decide, it will work out just fine. They are both good cars.

- BTW, I bought my Prius in June. I had a similar emotional reaction, since I was considering a Suzuki Kizashi also (loved that acceleration and handling!). In the end, I realized that I could be happy with either one, but for different reasons. Now I just enjoy my Prius.

2 people like this.
  5. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suppose price-wise these 2 cars are similar?

but I think (operating) cost-wise the Prius beats any other cars hands down, not just in gas savings but also in maintenance.

The hatch back is another practical plus over the conventionsal awkward trunks of a sedan. Unless you are amoungst those who sneers at hatch-backs thinking they are for lowly poors who have to haul cargo all the time as compaired to the "classy" sedans that helps to upkeep the drivers' higher-class image. (Umm, maybe a BMW or Mercedes instead of a Hyundai would be better for that purpose.)

Comfort-wise I think it's a tie (unless you opt for the leather Prius which IMHO is like upgrading it to a Lexus) but handling maybe a minus for the Prius. It does sway a little bit more than the usual car and sharp turning gives me a little less confidence. (Well, don't do any sharp turning as it's not designed to be a sporty car, you idiot! This remark is for myself:D)

6. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You all make very objective points. I think we would in fact enjoy both vehicles for different reasons like you say.

I will at least postpone the decision into the weekend then decide.

Wish I could have both :deadhorse:

Craig

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could you test drive each of the vehicles for a day or two? Most dealers will let you do this. If not, rent each of these vehicles for a day. If it were me, I would certainly want to do this before making such a tough decision. There is nothing like developing opinions of your own about a vehicle with some seat time behind the wheel.

8. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First things first.

Find out about the roads you will be driving on and the conditions of the road. Find out how many potholes there are, poorly maintained sections etc.

Then, if you find that 60% of the road is poorly maintained....buy a good quality inspected used car.

Fact: Both brand new Sonata and Prius will be trashed in 2 years time by driving on poorly maintained roads. In the current economy, the budget to maintain roads is drastically reduced so roads will continue to get worse. It will only get worse in the winter when more potholes are created.

No amount of "toyota" or "hyundai" warranty will repair the damage because it is "wear and tear" damage and NOT defective damage etc. I found out about this when my Prius, which has every possible warranty on it, got hit by massive road debris (the roads are so bad, pieces of it are coming off) and the Toyota dealership said....warranty does not cover damage caused by road. You can let the insurance take care of it (higher premiums) OR pay out of pocket.

I plan to buy a used car soon to drive in DC (worst roads in the world)....made the mistake of buying a brand new Prius.

Only buy a brand new car if you live in Japan. I went there a couple of years ago and the roads were 100% clean....no potholes, no cracks, all the lane markers were "like new". No tailgating and everyone was moving at their own pace. Also, there wasn't an SUV in sight. Everyone was driving small cars and small vans. Their vans and trucks are the size of a small US SUV. At a 4 way stop sign, everyone wants to go last AND they turn off their headlights to prevent distractions to the oncoming driver.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't imagine buying a car i wasn't tottaly in love with. i couldn't wait for my first prius, felt the same on the second and am having a hard time not pulling the trigger on the gen III. unless you just need basic transportation, why wouldn't you buy the car you really want? but if you want one car, and your wife another, that'a whole nuther ball o wax!

10. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, To satisfy our buyers remorse about the Prius, we went back to the Hyundai dealer this afternoon and test drove the 2011 Sonata SE again.

There is no question it is a fantastic automobile! If you havent watched Hyundais progress over the last 20 years you have really missed a great story. The SE doesn't have auto climate control, back-up camera, or electro chromatic mirror with homelink(neither does the Prius III) so we would have to move up to the Limited model that has everything we would want with the exeption of that cool Dual exhaust. We got quoted:

Our trade(2008 Hyundai Veracruz Limited 26,000 miles) plus $5000.

My wife and I do like the Sonata alot but decided that the Prius has everything she wants(with the exception of the rear mirror and back-up sensors which I will add in the coming weeks) in addition has fuel economy thats second to none which is a big factor for her. Price will be our trade plus $2250.

We just got confirmation that our Prius arrived from Port and is ready to go. It has all of 2 miles on it according to the salesman. I already had him take it to the service department to have the continuous back-up beep changed to a single beep.

We pick it up tonight!

Thanks for permitting me to think out loud here on this forum. You guys are all great therapists!!!

Craig

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you picked two winners the prius and your wife!:D

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was this comparing a Prius against a standard Sonata?

Should I mention that Hyundai is going to offer a Hybrid Sonata soon?

Never mind...go forth and enjoy....

You're getting an impressive automobile and worst case scenario? You can always make a change...it's only money....

I have to think if you are asking Prius or Sonata IN Prius Chat on the day that your Prius is arriving that actually your mind is pretty made up...you just are looking for affirmation and need some encouragement.

So just to be mean and a contrary bastard, I'll say:- Man you should of gone with the Sonata, you are really going to be sorry.

13. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ha! Love that comment! What a fun group of people!

Actually, I would have asked the same question on other car forums but I'd rather scrape my nails on a blackboard than listen to uninformed people tell me the Prius is underpowered or will need a new expensive battery in three years etc. etc.......

I'll be honest, while I think the environment needs to be respected, I dont consider myself an environmentalist. I merely think that for the limited time I have on this planet I have a responsibility to be mindful and leave some for the next generation. A large motive to reduce fuel consumption as well is less of my money will go to people that want to destroy America. In addition, my wife HATES getting gas. She will fill up half as much as she used to.

Fuel economy aside, I find the Gen3 Prius to be a substantial, feature packed vehicle that is not econobox material. While some reviews call it "premium" I would probably use a term more like "Mainstream" in terms of features, quality, design and driving dynamics. The Prius stands on it own merits even ignoring the great fuel economy!

Finally, the price has now been discounted where the economy of it makes sense too. Its a Win-Win vehicle isn't it?

Pics to be posted tonight!

Craig

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously I think you picked a great vehicle. Have fun.

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great! I think you made the right choice. :)

16. Tonic

Tonic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same situation but at the end i end up choosing the Prius because im young and i like the cool factor of the prius with the 17 inchs wheels.

I am more like Apple and latest techno guys so the Prius will fit me perfectly. Love the Sonata but its a little too old fashion for me!

17. Sassan

Sassan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks like you already made your decision, but I wanted to chime in that I also had to decide between the prius and the sonata. Mileage and projected resale won out over attractive styling and longer warranty. I think we both made the right choice =)

18. G3priusV

G3priusV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think Prius is far better than Sonata or any other non Toyota cars! I just got a Suzuki SUV and to compare to that I realize now that how well my prius is built. Without so many words, you just can tell Toyota cars are way more solid and with lot better quality than other brands. So a good choice, if you chose prius! Even though all toyos can be more expensive than others, they are well worth as they can give you less headache when it comes to the reliability. And who needs more power than normal unless you need to drive off road always or don't care about getting speeding tickets? :)

iPhone ?

19. emPG

emPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will have had my Prius for a year at the end of this month. I have no regrets except that I wish I had waited and pushed my dh for the IV. This has been the best Year of Driving in my whole life- 50 plus years.

Congratulations!

20. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III