1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New prius owner.. diagnostic questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by andTO86, May 2, 2013.

1. andTO86

andTO86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello there... So I'm a long time lurker, first time owner. I found a 2001 at an auction and thought i'd pick up as a cheap toy to do some datalogging, modding and whatnot. I'm an electrical guy so I'm not afraid although maybe I should be.:) I knew it didnt have keys and was prepared to get the ecm flashed and keys cut, but now im a little nervous and I'd like to know what else is wrong before I spend money on that. I can't read any codes via my obdII reader - it just says 'fail' on the screen. I'm assuming thats because the key is off? My thought is to get a key cut by vin so that I can at least steer it to move it around and go through diagnostics. I know that I can't drive it, but a working mechanical key should get the touchscreen and obd working, right? Anyone have any thoughts / opinions?

Btw I have it posted for sale but I may take it down.
    [Cant post a link.. still a noob..]

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought the 2001 only had a "mechanical" key.

3. andTO86

andTO86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that would be excellent news if it's true! I really don't know. There are a few empty connectors under the dash - I think it's missing the brake module, immobilizer and keyless entry receiver. It came with a loose module under the drivers seat that contains a 100-400 something megahertz looking helical antenna, so I'm assuming that's keyless, but I don't know that it came from this car. I'm going to fire it up on a mechanical only key and see what codes it throws, and narrow down the missing parts with the toyota connector list and wire colors. If it gets to be too much, I'll sell it or part it with full disclosure of what I've found.

I called the dealer to ask about getting a key and told them my situation - they said they could cut a mechanical-only key, but didn't say anything about it being a mechanical only car.

I can't tell if you know for sure and you're just politely saying "it's mechanical only, idiot", but as far as I can tell it looks to be an immobiler car :)