1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Three Today - Need General Tips

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by savethegas, Jul 14, 2014.

1. savethegas

savethegas New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I got a new Prius Three today and would like to know some general tips to take care in the initial use of the vehicle. Do we need to configure any additional security feature for my vehicle (such as LoJAck)..
    My dealer is referring that and I thought it is very pricey. Any other alternative options for the same?

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I guess that all depends on you for the LoJack... A dealership by me I almost bought from installs it in all their cars.. why.. because they have a theft problem... we talked them down $2k as LoJack was $800 and $1395 for hand pinstripe, detailed, etc... but we opted for a different car at a different dealership which does not have LoJack... It is up to you if you think there is a high theft rate of Prius in your area... for me I dont need the added expense.

now for general tips... guess we need to know how you will be driving? Example is I went from driving a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 on 35" tires 125 miles a day costing me $20-$30 a day in gas to the Prius 3 which is costing me $7 a day. My commute is 50mph with traffic lights to get to the main highway which then 10 miles of it is 55mph speed limit then most @ 65mph speed limit then 5 miles back roads.

for me I took my hub caps off as I like the black rim better with the dark blue my car is. Second I put 42psi air in the tires (stiffer ride but less rolling resistance). My next things are I would like to tint the windows and debadge (remove Prius badge).

That is really it for me as it is a gas saver and not my "Weekend Warrior" as I have my GMC for that...

People are doing some cool things if you are handy and wanted to do them.. search the forums.. here are a few that I saw..
    1. shark fin - replace antennae whip with a shark fin looking one
    2. front camera for parking
    3. lowering springs

hope that gets you started...

oh and my commute so far...
    @ 56mph = 61mpg
    @ 70-76mph = 54.5mphg - today

guess finding your sweet spot of driving needs and mpg is also something to find...

3. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are many good threads on PRIUSchat that can help you.(y)
    You can google it, sometimes that will take you to priuschat for the answer.:)