1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new projector like 194 led bulbs for front parking lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ucsmfu, Mar 1, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12 SMD LED you linked to is what I am currently using. I tried sticking the projector unit in its place and it is much taller and frankly looks even more goofy. It puts the top of the LED VERY close to the headlight lens as well. I am worried that the extra heat may discolor the lens in time. :(

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Several members including Calvin (HI MPG) have been using this iJDMToy 12-SMD LED in the parking lights for at least couple years with no issues so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

EDIT: I must've misread. So you're saying you got the same projector style LED as in the OP?

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have both the projector style and the 12 SMD LED. I tried them both in the parking light spot and the projector unit is so long it is within mm of the headlight lens. Doesn't really make sense to use it there. I like the idea that it has a chrome housing but it is so long that it looks kind of silly.

I was going to use the 12 SMD in the license plate area but I ended up leaving them in the parking lights instead. Now I have to figure out where I can use the projector units. Ugg $19 down the drain. lol

4. plam0ne

plam0ne Ninja

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    wished i read your post justin, just got this today and sure enough the projector unit looks really goofy and tall, closed the garage and turned off the garage lights, it makes this halo effect cause its so near the lens. took it out right away, i also remember the OP saying that these lights were "Cool" well i maybe turned it on for like 20 seconds and i almost burned my finger this thing gets really HOT! replaced it with a 5 led instead and it looks much better, lights are better dispersed and does not have that Halo look. $20 down teh drain, oh well.

1 person likes this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry. I just got them the day I posted the concern. :(

Maybe we can ask the OP or a mod to modify the first post so these issues are clear and no one else wastes money.

6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had several LED bulbs crap out on me in that location, and even my 6 SMT one has fogged right above it on the lens. I get a flickering on the bulbs, after less than a year. I'm probably just going to go back to the cheapo bulbs in there at this point and deal with the color difference. It's not like I ever really see it anyway lol.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The OP should come here and tell us if he's even having those issues.

You can get 501 W5W Xenon Extreme White Side light bulb They're pretty dim but match the LED headlights very well (although might not be blue enough if you have 6000K HIDs) and you'll only have to put up with the blue-tinted bulb rather than the ugly stack of circuit boards and yellow panels. The color mismatch annoys me too much to go back to OEM bulbs.

1 person likes this.
  8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I may have to go with 32kcolor's bulb idea. The LEDs I stuck in there are just too blue. It looks ricer style. :(

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just be warned they're dimmer than stock bulbs. The other alternative is to take them out entirely so all you see are just the headlights at nights for a clean look (SDM44 did this for a while).

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya. They appear similar to the colored PIAA bulbs I used to use before they sold LEDs for automotive use. They would still be better than these blue lights. Thanks for the link. :)

11. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No more ricer than your blue headlights now LOL

The iJDM LEDs I put in looked pretty close to the 5000k Morimoto bulbs, but a few of the LEDs flicker now and have gone out. There's also a slight film above the one on the passenger side on the inside.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    6000K looks bluer than 5000K. Temp ratings aren't accurate when it comes to LED, but I've found a huge difference between the 5100K-rated "Natural White" WLED-WHP5 from SBL and the 6000K iJDMToys. In fact, the 5100K SBLs were way too white for the LED headlights despite being of a lower temperature due to the blue-tinted housings and whatever is in there that makes them look bluer than they actually are.

See http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-rear-license-plate-bulbs-33.html#post1357611 for a photo of how the blue-tinted ABD Xenon Extreme White bulbs look next to LED headlights.

13. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know the 6000k is bluer than 5000k. I don't recall exactly which "rating" the LEDs were listed at, but I doubt there's ever an exact match between manufacturers. An HID kit of 5000k won't exactly match an LED of 5000k anyway. It's like the impossible color match game to get it close. Makes me wonder if I should just go back to the cheap incandescent bulbs that come stock for $2. If it's going to bother me no matter what, may as well go with what's cheapest. Besides, I rarely ever even see the bulbs from the outside anyway :).

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You got that right. I must've wasted nearly $100 trying out the various LEDs before settling on the ABD bulbs.

It must be nice to get the LED markers on the 2012 Five to avoid this game, although IMO the squarish design of the redesigned 2012 LED headlights (which resembles that found on the lower trims) doesn't look as cool as the three rounded design found on the 2010-11 LED headlights.

15. danielizzle

danielizzle Eco Swag

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What kelvin is the JDM side mirrors from the ebay seller 32k I want to match them with the parking light and license plate light

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They appear to be 5500K so 5500-6000K would be perfect. I'm using the 6000K iJDMtoys myself for interior and they match nicely with the door puddle lights.

17. danielizzle

danielizzle Eco Swag

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Thanks for the information, how much do you think its gonna run me to replace all the interior lights, parking, and license plate to LED? at iJDMtoys

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you only care about replacing the interior bulbs that you actually see when entering or exiting the car, then get these plus a few more for parking and license plate. Otherwise, the complete package is the better deal.

19. danielizzle

danielizzle Eco Swag

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    sadly (base model without the sunroof). so i have to buy individually

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe the only difference is the front dome in the solar roof model, so you can still get the complete package plus the aforementioned 12-SMD LED bulbs for front dome. You just won't use the LED panel for front dome included in the package.