1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW!!! Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB 0012-10

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by seilerts, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the response.
    Reading more, I've used Techron in all my vehicles except the Prius because I believe I (also) read that it's bad for the fuel bladder.
    Not sure about that. If it's a 'goop' issue I'd be tempted to start using it again...

#741 Rapid Dog, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've also read; no fuel bladder in the Gen. III.......FWIW

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone confirm that the TSB was retracted? I experienced a bad one this AM. So far I had not many problems before because the car was garaged, but not this weekend.

4. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I took my car for this problem 2 weeks ago. It had been happening for some time now for the past 2 years, so decided to take it before factory warranty expired. Today after 2 weeks i get a call from the service manager, saying they will replace the engine for a new one. They concluded there is a unknown problem with this engine and the only solution was to install a new engine.

After reading so many pages and so many threads, i know that the problem is going to eventually come back. Nevertheless, at least i get a new engine, and 2 weeks with a loaner. :)

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Woahh, a new engine? This is probably the first comment like this showing in PC

6. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yes sir. The first time i brought the car to the dealer for the issue, they said it was the EGR, so they replaced it. The problem persisted, then i took it again, and 2 weeks later, a new engine. I figure they didn't wanted me to keep nagging on the same problem lol

7. ANCNA

ANCNA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had this happen to me for the first time. I just got back from a 500 mile trip from Maine to New York, and drove through a small snowstorm on the way. After two days I started it and it knocked. I turned it off, tried again, it knocked. Let it sit for a while as I researched. Went out to record it for the dealer and naturally there was nothing. It's about 5 degrees out. I have to drive back on Tuesday; from what I can tell here it should be safe to drive, do I have that right?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you'll be fine. kronos89 is the first to report a new engine, but his old one was running fine. all the best.(y)

ANCNA likes this.
  9. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having about daily the said problem, and badly, i've tried some other approach on my EU Auris HSD 2013:
    1) Going in R+brake during the knocking solve completely the problem, but you're not charging the battery
    2) Going in N+brake reduce strongly the knocking but not eliminate it.

Having a solide minute of very noisy knocking, i had the chance to move in D-N-R, in any given combination, for several times: the noise go and come back about immediately every time you try.

Any idea?..... facepalm.....

#749 Maxwell61, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  10. texasboy77904

texasboy77904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've had this 1 or 2 second knock at startup up the hood for a while now, mostly during very cold, wet weather.

I've read many posts in this thread about the before/after effects (some helping the issue & some not) with the recall.

Im at 57k miles. Should I take it & have it serviced for this issue? What is the best way to explain it to service?

Thanks.

11. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine has 78k on it now and I have only noticed a brief 1-2 second knock once. Not sure if it gets worse with miles or not. Some people have more of a issue than others on the gen III motor. No fix from toyota yet that I am aware of but I am sure they are working on it.

12. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine has not come back yet!!!!! But it sounds like a combustion knock like something is out of timing or not enough gas.

It is not piston slap!

Just need to put 100K on it and take the piggy to market.

spiderman likes this.
  13. CARspec

CARspec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Been following this for a while at my shop - Toyota doesn't officially fix any of these any more. The above comment about a new engine is not good news. Just wrote this about the summary of the condition from what I've seen.

Here's some proof. If you follow the link at the top there is a summary of the whole thing.

Former Member 68813 likes this.
  14. Steve_in_NJ

Steve_in_NJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you need a recording of the knock, see the video on my thread. I just experienced this problem in the last month or so. 66k on the car. My dealership "had no idea" what it was, despite my showing them the video.
    REALLY BAD sound coming from engine at startup - listen to it here. | PriusChat

15. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, spring is finally here in Northern NJ. Report my winter experience.

I had one knock that was almost no knock. It was a split second no more.

The higher octane 93 and Heet fuel treatment Red label, once a month, has kept the rattle away with 70,000 miles.
    Still have original IM.

I must admit I did cross my fingers on a few -2 and -1 degree mornings in Feb.

YMMV.

orenji likes this.
  16. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Anyone know if the 15s do this?

17. Ali Qasim

Ali Qasim New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I got the same problem with mine 2011 prius it's purchased late nov 2011,
    Now droven 2,90,000km..
    Hybrid Bettery changed 4 months back ,
    From last one month i took notic 2 time IT happend in the morning ,much noise in the start & suddenly finishing,i was worried,
    Anyone who let me know about IT ,? What to do ?
    Will be greatfull.

Thx

18. BlzzPrl2010

BlzzPrl2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This would have been nice to know 8,000 miles ago lmao when my warranty was still valid. I've had this knocking/rattling issue every winter for the past 5 years. I thought it was normal and since it didn't put out any codes, I thought it was just Toyota's laziness to design an engine that doesn't knock when cold.

Anyone know where I can get these parts and roughly how much it would run? I would consider DIY with this issue. Not about to pay the dealership an arm and a leg for a factory screw up.

19. shakeum

shakeum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I heard the same knocking sound last week on our 2012 Prius III. Does the TSB cover 2012 models?

20. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mine is a late 2013 v. I hope this has the "new and improved" intake manifold. I have an INJEN cold air intake and it has never, ever triggered a DTC. But then I live in 'Vegas, Baby, and have not started my v in truly cold weather.