1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New shocks/struts/springs for 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frank2013, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Frank2013

Frank2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Our well-maintained 2005 Prius has only 60k miles but they are mostly city driving and the roads in Quebec are full of holes and cracks. So the ride is getting rougher and rougher. Rather than buy a new car, which is what the wife thinks we should do, I am thinking it would be a good idea to change the shocks/struts/springs and whatever might give us a smoother ride. I can't take any more pressure off the tires, they are already at 30.

I am hoping that the change will also lift the car a bit, even if only half an inch. Anything will help.

I am not very mechanically savvy, to say the least, so there is no way I could do that. I am not even sure this is the right forum, but I am just posting this in the hope of getting some good ideas as to how to go about it, and what basic measures I should take to prevent being scammed. Should I have the dealer do this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Priced at dealer in California, $ 1400.

Looking from salvage yard, $ 100 each side but I have to do it.

Some available at Juiced Hybrid. About $ 400 - 500, lowers like Touring Edition.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how about a suspension shoppe?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would never buy used struts/shocks - that is like buying used underwear.

Perhaps that is too dramatic... Installing used struts/shocks would be like installing used brake parts or used windshield wiper blades, maybe you can accept those comparisons. Struts/shocks are consumable parts, they are not intended to last forever. When they are worn, replace with new. The correct new parts are really not that expensive.

It is possible that new coil springs may result in the car body lifting up slightly. I suggest the OP measure the height of the uncompressed old coil springs vs. new, when replacing them.

It is not a good idea to deflate the tires below the mfr spec of 35/33 psi as that reduces the load carrying capacity of the tires.

It is reasonable to install other used parts like electronic control units, the inverter, etc. Either they work 100% or they do not work at all, and the price of a new part often is in four-digits compared to low three-digits for a used part, so the savings make the used part very worthwhile. Typically an ECU is not going to degrade over time.

#4 Patrick Wong, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    GKuma likes this.
  5. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I agree with Patrick's suggestion but everyone has a different situation. In my younger days, I have messed around with compressing the coil springs and all but I'm not in the mood to do all that now. Also I guess I should have mention my car has 245k miles and my maintenance is getting a lot sloppier.

6. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy aftermarket on ebay for cheap. No need to go to the junkyard. The front comes complete with the springs and shocks, no need to compress the coils. The expensive part is probably the labor. Just buy a set and find a shop to do the work. It should cost half of what the dealership is charging.

Corrections...you have to do some compressing. I thought I saw a set awhile ago with springs. You can get complete sets on ebay for $125-300. Aftermarket is obviously cheaper.

#6 kammssss, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  7. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, that's true. I found a complete strut assembly for around $ 125.00 a side but when I called to find out where it was made, you guessed it ...... China

Some years ago, my insurance company paid for OEM grill - the black 3 piece in the front, within 30 days, I lost both ends. Returned to body shop for replacement, found out not OEM by Toyota but OEM from China

I went and purchased from dealer, installed them myself, still have them on the car.

8. dbird29

dbird29 Junior Member

Did all 4 corners with new struts this spring, still riding fantastic. Easy self install.

9. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    KYB struts was not that expensive. you can get it at tirerack.com for about $300 brand new.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This post is so old, I think the OP may have done the struts or bought a new car by now.

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh?

The first post was less than 2 months ago.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes 2 months and the op never responded since post 1