1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new (to me) '08 Prius - Fisk Classics tires say max 35 PSI - OK to fill to 42/40?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by b8b, May 6, 2011.

1. b8b

b8b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All!

Just got my Prius yesterday. I probably should have made THIS post in the forum, but didn't discover it until now (please feel free to comment on that thread if you think I got a good deal or not, or any other advice).

Question: it came with Fisk Classics tires which say max 35 PSI - is it OK to fill to 42/40? The guy at Discount Tire (just had them balanced) said it would cause uneven tread wear, is dangerous, and they are not allowed to fill it beyond the tire's max pressure. Especially since these are a cheaper tire. Thoughts?

Is there a smart balance to PSI with regard to ride comfort and max MPG?

Thanks!

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not familiar with Fisk tires but I would not exceed the the max PSI stated on the tire. Most tires have a max cold PSI of 44, which is why so many of us do 42/40. Toyota recommends 35 PSI which we safely disregard. I would not, however, disregard the tire manufacturer's specs.

3. b8b

b8b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, Macmaster05.