1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Pre-School

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Crosby, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Crosby

Crosby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the last couple decades I’ve owned a Ford Ranger pickup with camper shell (it came that way), a Chevy Lumina APV van, and another Ford Ranger pickup. No cars. Main reason is I needed to carry a lot of photo and video equipment.

This is a heavier load:

[​IMG]

Well, my GF, in a stroke of genius, said that a decent sized car would hold my usual gear and, when I need to take the kitchen sink, I could rent a van/truck for the day. Doh! No idea why that never crossed my mind. So the search for a used car started. Requirements were: 1. Something that got better mileage than my truck (18mph year ‘round. AC or no AC. Uphill or downhill with the wind at my back. 18mph, period.), 2. Something that looked good and didn't change looks every model year. and, 3. Something dependable that didn't need a lot of maintenance.

So I started looking at cars. Quite a few aren’t getting that much more mileage than the truck, surprising considering how other things have changed over the years. Some stated some nice highway mileage but 20-24 in the city which is where I drive the most. Then I looked at Prius — no idea why but I was attracted to them right away. Saw some pictures of some with the hatch opened, back seats folded down, front seat folded back and a lot of stuff inside them. That sealed the deal for me.

A lighter load that should easily fit in my Prius:

[​IMG]

Found exactly what I wanted, too. A 2010 Barcelona red Prius IV, with sun/moon roof and a chunk of miles (102k). Miles don't scare me, my van had over 200K on it and was still strong and dependable. This Prius was well maintained with all service records from Toyota dealers.

So, now I'm in pre-school (Prius school) looking through the ream of manuals. Weird having been driving for so long but needing to relearn.

Did my first road trip in it yesterday. 300-miles of learning to drive while sitting lower than the truck, no shifting - no clutch (manual tranny), no keys, the cruise control (love it in the mountains we were on), backup camera (looking forward while backing up...hmm), Nav, etc. Service adviser at a Toyota dealer said that most Prius accidents are in the front of the car, with all the things on the dash, I think I see why. :)

No questions, just wanted to say hello and see if someone will teach me the secret handshake.

#1 Crosby, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome. I think the Prius will surprise you with how much it can carry and how much utility it offers. We went from a van to the Prius and haven't looked back. We don't carry as much as you do on our trips, but we carry just as much as we did with the van and access to everything is virtually the same. The only thing I miss are the power side doors, but so far side access also has not been a problem.

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Crosby

Crosby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Already liking it a lot. The road trip was a blast! Granted, I felt like an idiot when a car wash attendant pounded on the hood and told me to put it in neutral. Thought I had until I saw the "D" on the display. Whoops. :LOL:

Just bought a black Toyota hat with chrome Toyota logo on it and am already looking for a red model to put on my desk. :)

#4 Crosby, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Until we are sure of you, all I can say is the secret handshake requires snapping your thumb out of joint.

usnavystgc likes this.
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll presume that you tried out the space before you bought the car and can therefore look forward to many years of happy ownership.

Since you live in an oven, track down the threads here that discuss smart ownership habits for hot climate owners to extend the life of the traction battery.

Welcome!

7. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Ve git to soon olt & to late shmart"......(y).....FWIW, absolutely the best auto purchase I've ever made.....& I've made a "Bunch".....

8. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Welcome and congrats!:cool:

Don't feel bad about the Neutral thing, It literally took me years to figure it out from a parked position…lol!:whistle::D

Tip: Unless you are moving and want to coast in Neutral don't flick it left, push it left and hold it there for a second…i.e.. Conveyor style car wash scenarios..

(y)

#8 Blizzard_Persona, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

10. Crosby

Crosby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was af
    I'm good at visualizing. Found some interesting pictures of loaded Pruii online, one looked like someone bought out a home warehouse, that convinced me. One of my setups fits behind the seats in my truck (4-door model) -- sold in 1/2 day.

Yes, will look for tips on oven temps and the HV battery. Found several "reconditioning/rebuilding" places locally. One recommended that I bring it in so they can run a series of trouble prevention tests on it. Never heard of that before and the price was pretty step, especially since it's just the tests, no cell replacements, etc.

I think I will make good use from the solar venting, too.

Still very new to me but I'm liking it and looking for excuses to go for long drives in it.

Thanks Retired4999 and bisco. The Electric Me, I already order the sacred Prius emblem robe and hat. I’ll be ready for the ceremony once I find the model I want. :)

Thanks for the tip. Played with Neutral for a bit later, key for me is to look at the display to see where it is. This auto centering joystick-like shifter is new to me.

The car wash thing was a fluke. I was looking for a $1 coin wash where I could zip in, power wash off the bugs and dust, and get back on the freeway to air dry it as I drove. Never used a $3 wash before -- pickups run better dirty. With exception of the momentary stupidity on my part, it was a good experience and really cleaned the car without my help. Will be my new way of PDQ cleaning.

#10 Crosby, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a list to keep of places not to go near.

Over-heating damages batteries like nothing else, so without further ado:
    The most important things to avoid for Prius owners who live in hot climates

1. Never end your drive with a full battery. This might happen if your drive ends at the bottom of a long decline. The problem is that the battery remains chemically active for a short while and generates heat after you park and shut down the car. Since the car is off, the heat cannot be dissipated. If you have to, drive a block and knock off a bar of battery charge before parking.

2. Do not cook the battery. This means using the tonneau cover when the car is parked so that direct sunlight does not fall on the cover over the battery. It also means you should avoid parking the car in the sun on a hot day with the windows closed and no ventilation. I look for shade, but if not available I park facing the sun, set a sun-shade on the windshield, and crack windows for ventilation*. My goal is for the interior of the car to not be hotter than ambient outside. I then take the unpopular step of driving for 2-3 minutes with all windows open to discharge a large fraction of the heat load that has built up in the car. This last step is not battery health motivated, but energy conservation so that the AC does not have so much work.

*If you have a solar roof, I think this same ventilation objective can be obtained and keep the windows closed.

I have seen people who turn the interior of their cars into furnaces, and then auto-start the car from a distance and cool the interior off with AC. Besides being retarded and horribly wasteful, and the way to kill children left in the car, it is a sure-fire way to harm a Prius traction battery in a relatively short time. My impression is that poor habits of heat control in Phoenix like climates will reduce battery longevity by half.

#11 SageBrush, Mar 24, 2015
  12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm betting your Prius can carry all of your camera gear. Even the largest loads should fit. You will be amazed at how much you can fit in one of these.

13. Crosby

Crosby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. I've already planned on most of that. Not sure I understand the battery bars yet, will read up on that. I don't think the Gen III's have the same battery fan setup as the Gen II's as I was planning to make sure that fan was kept clean. One of the features of the solar fan is to keep the outside and inside temps close and I like that idea. Still cracking a window here is the norm.

When I first moved here I was walking in a parking lot on one the hot days ("but it's a dry heat" -- like an oven you don't stick you head in) and heard a POOF! I turned and saw the back window of a car turn into a glass jigsaw puzzle. I asked someone what happened and was told the person didn't crack open a window to let the hot air pressure escape. That was enough for me.

I'll find out. The big load is quite heavy and bulky, filled the bed of the pickup with some on the passenger seat and behind. Don't usually carry that much so I'm sure I'll be fine. Will test flipping down the front seat soon in case I need it.

#13 Crosby, Mar 24, 2015
  14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If that is a picture of your heavy load above, that will easily fit and ride fine in the Prius.

Check out this post from me a long time ago but, it happened.

Still Amazed | PriusChat

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would have suggested a 2012 Prius v for even more carrying capacity. I've been trying to convince a fellow local shooter to do the same and ditch his well used 4 Runner. He's even rented a Prius several times and "gets" the fuel economy thing but he still can't make the leap to ownership; maybe the next time gas prices hit a high cycle but by then it will be a sellers market.

16. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep...it's kinda like the automotive equivalent of a Peruvian drug mule. :whistle::LOL::X3:

17. Crosby

Crosby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice mileage! I may try to see what I can get in there for kicks. One of the most convincing pictures I saw of a loaded Prius was from Much More Better on this site:

[​IMG]

Another from d2mini:

[​IMG]

One of my favorites was from 2010blizzard, love the picture, made me miss my buddy:

[​IMG]

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No doubt about it -- hatchbacks are so much more functional than sedans.
    My family owns a Prius (v)agon and a Honda Fit. For another 'I cannot believe this' moment, check out the interior space of a Fit with the magic seats flipped back.

#18 SageBrush, Mar 24, 2015
  19. Crosby

Crosby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For me it's a matter of real need/desire. If I'm moving furniture, I'll rent a moving van or truck but I don't want to drive it everyday, which is what I was doing with the pickup. The Prius will do what I need 95% of the time and when I need more I'll rent the appropriate vehicle. Fuel economy is a side benefit for me. I don't drive a lot (may with the Prius though), averaged just over 6k/year with the truck.

Had my GF not mentioned her observation and idea, I'd still be driving the truck and carrying little in it.

#19 Crosby, Mar 24, 2015
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Very reasonable. Fwiw I do the same and I wish the practice of matching the tool to the job was more prevalent, even if slightly inconvenient.

I have managed though to make rentals a very rare event by attaching a hitch to my Prius. I do not advise towing loads over 2000 lbs, or up mountains or during peak Phoenix heat, but renting heavy equipment or bringing home a pile of fertilizer has become a trivial task. I just drive gently when I tow, which seems like a good idea anyway.