1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius. Need some advice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sandy.topper, Jun 4, 2014.

1. sandy.topper

sandy.topper Junior Member

I am the proud owner is a recently bought 2010 Certified Prius. I have driven it for about 7,500 miles since I bought it last October. I am currently getting over 46 MPG which is a huge improvement over the 16 MPG I was getting in my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee most of the time I tend to drive it carefully. Trying not to mash on the accelerator. But whether I am driving it aggressively or not it doesn't seem to make much difference in my MPG. It currently has 45,000 miles. How do I make it closer to the magic 50 MPG

iPhone ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not everyone can. don't drive over the speed limit, research 'pulse and glide' technique, don't drive in ev purposely, pump your tyres up to 42f / 40r and check the health of your 12v battery. all the best!(y)

3. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One factor is that mileage drops in winter. Also, I don't know the terrain where you are in Michigan, but hills will also have an effect. I live in the Sierra foothills of California and also get about 46 mpg. Be happy with the improvement and don't sweat the last few mpg.

4. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you're getting 46 MPG almost effortless, don't fret over the 4 MPG you're not getting. But, drive the speed limit or a few MPG less, and limit braking where possible, coasting to slow down or stop.

haole man likes this.
  6. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There are things you can do, and things you can't. Things you can would be to pump up your tires (and check them regularly), and learn about why things like pulse and glide, etc., have impacts so you can internalize them. That is, so you can do them without thinking about it. For example, that statement about not using EV mode intentionally? It is wrong some of the time, right some of the time. Learn the reasons.

I'd also check what the tires on the car are. Either you have brand new ones or are close to needing new ones. If they are new, find out what their rolling resistance is. They probably are not low rolling resistance tires, which would explain 1-2 mpg. If they are the originals, check out what places like Tire Rack have to say (or threads on Prius Chat.) There are some really good tires that will improve your mpg, get great wear, and not completely suck in handling and ride. Sorry, you can't get great wearing, great performing, LRR tires. If you could, everyone would be using the same tire.

Last thing, stay on top of the oil in the engine (0W20 for the current model, I'm not sure if that is true of the 2010) and more importantly how much is in the car. You do NOT want too much. Of course, you don't want too little, but the Prius doesn't consume any in my experience, so the key is to not overfill it. If you do, you will kill your mileage and potentially damage the engine. On the dipstick, I usually aim for the center between the marks.

Good luck and welcome. And read the manual. It isn't really needed on most cars. I think it is a must read with the Prius.

Prius-Paul likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We are not trying to dogpile, just friendly advice. My major driving change, coast to a stop. If you want a short manual to get up to speed while you use Toyota's manual to cure insomnia, here is John's user guide John's Stuff - Toyota Prius User-Guide

8. sandy.topper

sandy.topper Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice. I have modified my driving style to see what happens and I have achieved the magic mark of 50 MPG. was at 50.1 when I pulled into work today

iPhone ?