1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius: Plug-In vs Regular Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Chris Steinke, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Chris Steinke

Chris Steinke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All,
    I am currently trying to decide my next vehicle. I currently drive a 2007 BMW 328i sedan which I feel I should replace as it is nickel and dime me to death, plus my gas mileage due to current commute is awful.

I've driven for a day a 2011 Prius a few years back and I know a number of people who own and have owned both a standard Prius and Plug Ins, but their commutes and uses a bit different. I also have friends who are BMW owners and are aghast that I would even consider moving away from BMW, but as a commuter car is just makes better sense. I love my car and BMWs in general but other considerations trump my desire to stay with BMW so it's time to part ways.

So my question is with all the incentives and true-car pricing, which makes more sense? I'm looking at a Prius III and IV and a base PiP, I'm also somewhat contemplating the solar roof panel, but I know I don't have that option with the PiP. I've just test driven the III last week and it was nicer than I was expecting.

My current commute is 25-30 miles round trip but could be extended to 70 miles round trip, depending on our housing situation. I live in the Los Angeles area. There is an HOV lane on my commute.

Any thoughts, opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks to all in advance!

Chris

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! can you plug in at home and work?

3. yazyazoo

yazyazoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also if considering HOV with PiP then you should make sure which freeways are available for green stickers. There are some restrictions from what I have seen on this forum. I think if you are in Pasadena then you might be on the 110 or 10 which has restrictions on the green stickers. If your commute is 25 to 30 then a Leaf be better although 70 miles would be cutting it close in a Leaf. Leaf have white stickers that don't have the restrtictions I think. Haven't lived in LA since school and that's been 12 years so.

4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Diane Whitmire has a supply of Plug-ins with the hov stickers, might bet worth a look. If I am correct there is a $2500 Federal and $1500 state incentive on the Plug in, making it close in price to a basic Prius 3. To me the one big negative to the plug in is the lack of a spare tire.
    As a side note BMW's are also known to their owners as Break My Wallets. If you want to save some money a Prius will save you money vs a BMW.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you can plug in, the Prius Plug in will give you about 12 miles on electric power. In my situation, the power I pay for costs me about half as much as gasoline per mile. It may be less for you. If you can plug in for free at work, that's a big plus.

The real advantage of the Prius is the fuel economy. No other car can give you the best combination of fuel economy, interior space and mechanical reliability, in my opinion. Other cars excel in other factors, such as EV range, but the Prius puts it all in one package.

If my goal was to commute on mostly electric power, and my commute was longer than 20 miles, I'd probably get a Volt, but I'd be sacrificing fuel economy, interior space and reliability. If all my driving was in range of a charging station, I'd consider a Leaf or a Tesla.

If you work it out on paper, it takes a long time to get back the extra cost of the Prius, compared to a similar-sized economy car, even with subsidies, but you can't beat the feeling of spending pocket-change on gasoline every month.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and besides your commute, you have to consider other trips. i do a lot of errands on ev only.

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PiP has been selling like hot cakes in Ca. due to low prices, green HOV stickers, and state rebate $1500. Thus (in Ca.) PiP is almost a no brainer especially if HOV is important. But the green HOV stickers are running out so you gotta make a move on a PiP soon although they *might* add more stickers.

If HOV is not important or you live in another state it's a little harder to decide if the PiP (no spare tire, slightly smaller gas tank) is quite as useful to you. If you are committed to plug-in concept then PiP is a candidate.

#7 wjtracy, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  8. Chris Steinke

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

I live off of the 210 freeway in Pasadena now and work off of the 134 in Burbank and we have a number of charging stations at work and on the lowest rung of hell, I mean our parking garage, we have a few outlets that I have seen everything from PiP to Tesla's plugged in. So I would use the work charging stations. I like the idea of a PiP over an all electric car since I can't charge at home right now.

My current commute is 24 round trip, but we are looking at a house that would make my commute around 70 round trip again off the 210 and the 210 is a bear in the morning, though from where I live NOW I avoid most of the pain.

I was thinking to lease to see if I like it and then buy it at the end but still debating, but if I want to take advantage I'd probably have to purchase!

9. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like my pip, HOV is priceless (in AZ) and the mileage is great for the amount of room, not exactly fun to drive. If you are a BMW guy there is the i3 and i8.

10. Goin2drt

Goin2drt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We were in the exact same boat and live in SoCal. We bought the PIP for the green sticker, great incentives and better MPG's. If we couldn't get the sticker, we would have bought a Prius 5

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're gonna hate the 70 mile commute more than your gonna love the house.(n)

12. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Assumes facts not in evidence :)

rxlawdude likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but my father always told me, keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and your workplace closest of all.:p

14. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did your father have a farm?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah he worked for the gov'mint. spent more time at home than at work. classic no show job, phoned in his advice and they mailed him a check. that was 100 years ago, seems like it's caught on pretty well.

16. Chris Steinke

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco,

You have no idea with regards to the housing insanity out here. 700k gets you a fixer that is ghetto adjacent in Pasadena. Anyways further housing stupidity should be reserved for other forums, tha. priuschat, so we will leave it there.

At any rate, I've done anywhere from 4 mile to 90 90 mile trip commutes here. Most of my coworkers are between 30 and 90 miles round trip, so it's not unheard of in LA/California.

So far with the government incentives the PIP is looking good plus the HOV sticker. A friend who works at Caltech and lives in Upland about 75 miles one way does that commute daily in his pip, so the 210 is green sticker friendly.

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've had some long commutes in my day, and I never hated them. When I lived in Idaho, I had a 90-minute trip each way to drive to work. I enjoyed the scenery, and it gave me the time to enjoy the audio-books I never had time to read.

18. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree the plug-in sounds great for your situation. Under your current commute it sounds like you could do half of your commuting gas free. Is the charging at work totally free?

One thing I would suggest, coming from your BMW is to test drive both the base and advanced models. The advanced model has a synthetic leather and a lot of tech that makes the car feel more upscale. As much time as you'll be spending in it you may find that worthwhile, and it may ease your transition. :)

19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don't be too hung up on the solar roof (an expensive gimmick). 10 seconds with the windows rolled down cools the car down just fine.

20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd be looking for a way to rewire the solar roof to charge the battery.