1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new to ScanGauge - which gauges should I have up if trying to optimize mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cwerdna, Jun 8, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, I've finally received my ScanGauge after returning from a week long vacation and I'm pretty excited. I've added a # of Prius specific XGauges (mostly from The SGII Xgauge Database - CleanMPG Forums) and stumbled across http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...angauge-best-threads-mileage-improvement.html.

I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by the discussion and prior discoveries/research that numerous people have done coupled w/my own unrelated personal affairs. It'll probably take me weeks to skim all the info out there.

Question: Given I have only 1 SG, which 4 values should I have up if I'm trying to get better mileage?

I've seen gps, IGN and TPS come up. I'd imagine I'd want RPM as well.

BTA/Bta is kinda neat to watch as was SOC. In my limited driving w/it so far I've seen regen as much as -71 amps. I'm guessing this will help me better judge how hard I should brake. I've also looked at BTA values when dead banding... interesting. gps, bps, BTV, FWT and FIA were also somewhat interesting.

Bear in mind my commute isn't conducive to P & G and is almost 2/3s highway by travel time.

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, you've mentioned the two threads I would have referred you to. I would continue to try to digest those. You'll probably end up changing the gauges around periodically, in part to discover more about how the car operates under various conditions. You might also choose to change them for various driving conditions.

Between ScanGauge and CAN-View (I use both, though I don't have X-Gauges), the four I use most often are RPM, BTA, SOC, and ICE temp. Of those, I consider RPM and BTA the most important for ICE and battery management (along with SOC), and I always have them displayed.

I change the others around on the fly for particular driving conditions. Note that CV is easier to switch gauges on while on the move than SG. If all I had was SG, I might be less inclined to switch so much, so consider what follows in that context.

After full warmup (157F) I am less interested in ICE temp and generally switch CV over to injector timing. For some more light reading (;)), Hobbit has described using injector timing as an indicator of engine loading.

For routine driving I use IGN only during warmup, and then only as an indicator of the S1/S2 transition. Note that for me, "routine driving" includes very little highway driving. I might be watching it more if I spent more time on the highway.

The SHM crowd uses IGN, TPS, and GPS. If your driving conditions allow SHM and you can master the technique, then these of course would be a higher priority. But I would save those for later until after you've mastered some of the basics of ICE and battery management using RPM and BTA.

CAN-View uses the MFD screen so I can't monitor SOC on the factory screen. Otherwise, SOC probably would not be among my top 4, though it still would be of interest, since CV reports it at an exact percent.

HV battery temperature, MG temperatures, and inverter temperatures are available in CV and I peek at those from time to time when heat (or cold for the HV battery) could affect their performance (e.g., on warm days when the grill is blocked). I don't think anyone has figured out X-Gauges for those yet (though I could be wrong).

3. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you do throttle position and engine rpm? The rest is pretty much touch and feel. You should have a feel for when the brakes engage versus regenerative braking and when the engine will come on or shut off...

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, you SHOULD have a feel for those things, but in the 2010 you really are pressed to feel such things. I got to the point of driving my '07 almost entirely by "feel" -- ICE on/off and feathering were done by feel, not by viewing a Scangauge or even the MFD. In the 2010, as I've reported before, the "feel" is not so evident to me -- yet! The 2010 is much quieter, it has some different noises, and the ICE cutoff is so much gentler, it is hardly detectible when cold and really seamless when warm.

Some of it might be the very different sounds of the electric motors. The two whines are much more noticeable and are quite distinctive. At certain speeds (or RPMs, I don't really know which) the motors combine to make sounds similar to a 1960s era police siren! (Muted, of course.)

6. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh, how paradoxical... I have the 2006, and I must not have read that yours is the 2010. That's really too bad in exactly the most interesting way... I guess you'd expect they'd try harder to make it manage itself perfectly with every new generation -- and if it can manage itself perfectly all you have to do is tell it where to go. But the problem with idiot-proof is that non-idiots have to work harder to have fun with it.

So can you feel the brakes engage in this one? Can you tell when you're actually lifting the RPMs still? Is it still possible to determine which wheel is giving what feedback pretty much always (one of my favorite aspects of this car is how well-connected you are to the road)?

~ dan ~

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, since i block my radiator 8 months each year, i always have water temp. the MPG, RPM and the last one i bounce around quite a bit.

i want the MPG on mostly because 99.9 on the MFD can mean so many different things