1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New UK/EU extended hybrid battery guarantee.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Britprius, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Having past the 100,000 mile mark in my 2008 gen2 I am out of the original 8year 100,000 mile guarantee.
    However I just had my car serviced at Toyota (intermediate service) and had the free hybrid check extending the guarantee by 1 year or 10,000 miles. This extension can be carried out as many times as is required till the car is ten years old irrespective of millage and is free with all services, or can be purchased on it's own for £39.
    Scans of paperwork below. Fist page is test results next two conditions.

File0001.jpg File0002.jpg File0003.jpg

John. (Britprius)

Data Daedalus and Tony D like this.
  2. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting! I wonder if Toyota Ireland is doing the same? Must call them on Tuesday to check. I get my car serviced by an Independent mechanic, but might be worth- look at Toyota for the sake of €50ish if I still have my Gen2 in two years

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You do not need to have the car serviced at Toyota if you do not wish. Just pay the £39 when your car is out of guarantee or have a service at that time.

John (Britprius)

Tony D likes this.
  4. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be great piece of mind not to have to worry about the huge potential outlay on a battery for such a small amount of money.

In my case my car will be 8 in 2016 and will probably hit 100k in late 2015 early 2016 anyway. It might be time for a Gen3 or PIP then (or if finances allow a nice IS300h F-Sport)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a great deal! is it fairly new? any idea what made them come up with it?

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is possibly a method of getting customer to have there car serviced at the Toyota dealers. Since the minimum service is reasonable in price anyway "now £139 $220 including materials" it is as you say good value. It is a new system started this year I believe. Even if you pay the £39 $62 it is reasonable price insurance.

John (Britprius)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point. what do you get for the 139, or 100 if you discount the warranty extension? we don't have that sort of thing.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The service is £139 even if the hybrid system check is not required because the car is still under guarantee. The service pricing by Toyota is fixed price at all Toyota dealers. These prices can be checked on line for all services and standard repair/replacement parts such as disc brakes, pads, coolant pump, 12 volt battery etc. So there is no extra charge for the hybrid check along with a service.
    Toyota Service & Maintenance - Repairs & Parts | Toyota UK

John (Britprius)

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They've had it in some parts of Europe for about a year. I got my car checked (I paid the £39) when it first came out in the UK in about January time (ish). My car passed, though still shows some weird characteristics when going down steep hills. I don't mind now though as I have 10,000 miles/12 months extra warranty. My car is due a service in October so I'll get it done again then.

Tony, I'd double check with your dealer as they might be doing it. Toyota UK didn't really advertise it and it's 'hidden' on their website. Might be the same in Eire? If not, I wonder if you could pop over to NI and get it done there? Aren't all warranties valid in the EU or something?

Hybrid Health Check | Toyota UK

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like a great deal.
    At a minimal customer expense it seems to allow you to opt to get at least the similar coverage that is afforded Prius in the USA that are purchased in CARB states. That is 10 years or 150,000 miles.

Good Deal. I'd do it.

My question is, you have to bring it in twice? 1 year interval?

And is offering this extended warranty contingent on the battery passing the Hybrid Check?
    What would happen if you brought either for the first time and it failed, or in a year and it failed?

I'd assume if it was the 1st time, and it failed out of warranty, you would simply NOT be offered the option for the extended warranty.

I've been told there is really no way to tell how close a hybrid battery might be to failure. So I wonder what parameters Toyota is using in their Hybrid Check to validate whether a Hybrid Battery is good enough to get their seal of approval for extended warranty.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You bring it in once a year and pay £39 or if you get the car serviced at Toyota (which is every 10k miles/12 months) they do the check included in the price.

If the car was out of warranty AND failed the hybrid health check, then if it was still running, I'd have put it up for sale. The test doesn't give any idea how close to a fail the battery is, but if it passes it passes and frankly who then cares?I was hoping for some sort of printout showing the cell voltages or percentages etc but just got the PASS as per the image from Britprius.

In CARB states you get 10yr/150k mile warranty. We only get 8 years/100k miles (or 5 yrs/60k on early gen3's). This service helps give peace of mind upto 10 years if you get the car serviced at a Toyota dealer. There is no mileage limitation and commercial vehicles can't be excluded from warranties.

12. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder do the mechanics actually know what to check in terms of the health check or do they just tick the box? A close friend is in sales in an authorised Toyota repairer (gave up sales recently). Must get him to check if the mechanics know anything about it.

Yes, it would be easy for me to pop up to Northern Ireland. There's a Toyota garage in Newry, which is only 90 minutes away. My car came from Scotland, so should still have its warranty from there.

The Gen3 only has a 5 yr, 100k km warranty on hybrid system here in the south

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's apparently a new computer upgrade that cost the dealer about £50k. I believe it does other things too, but the system is quite cleaver though I think they'd had some software 'issues' to start with. It is just a case of plug it in and let the computer do its stuff.

So I don't think the mechanics have to do anything really.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The printout of the test appears to be computer generated and the test could be carried out by the Techstream software without the need for a mechanic to form fill. The software deciding a pass or fail.

John (Britprius)

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    According to the test sheet the battery has 14 modules "not strictly correct should read 28", but they are checked in pairs.
    They are checked for internal resistance, voltage, voltage variation, insulation, and battery temperature. The fan, coolant pump, and coolant levels are also checked.

John (Britprius)

16. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting about the test. I'll check if the repair shop has the equipment. Either way I must give Toyota Irl a shout.

Cheers

17. Wimble

Wimble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. My '08 will be in order around 100k at next service in January 2015. It's not been playing on my mind as such, but there's always a sense of inevitability as warranty limits approach...