1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New York Bill Attempting to ban Tesla Sales

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Electric Charge, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here we go again, first North Carolina, then Texas, and out of all states, now New York. As a New Yorker, I'm absolutely mad that this is even being discussed.

More info

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Boo! This will work against installing 3,000 chargers in NY.

3. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don'y understand why Tesla can't just open dealerships. They could be super small, with very few cars in stock, and have 'just-in-time' delivery of orders. Just so long as they meet the letter of the law to qualify as a 'dealership', which their current showrooms in Texas do not.
    If niche producers like Maserati, Lamborghini, Range Rover, Ferrari, etc. can sell cars anywhere, why can't Tesla?

4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Guess Nissan really loves it. Marketing to customers, there will not be any Tesla taking up the chargers all day. :lol:

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have always thought NY was the place where Justice prevailed. That it is a state that is wealthy in culture, commerce and education. Hopefully this will get dismissed by the Judge because NY is a place that accepts competition.

I recall many years ago in the 90's in California Hyundai wanted to establish a direct sales channel in San Diego and that was taken to court. Hyundai decided to abandon the plan.

I have a feeling Tesla is not afraid of a good fight. Perhaps this is the start of something new. Cars sold directly from Manufacturer to Consumer. Cut out the middle man.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll bet the 'dealers association' (and their bedmates the auto / oil companies) are just itching to mess things up for Tesla. :mad:

Tesla's are new, different and sophisticated and are best sold and serviced by Tesla employees, not 3rd party franchised dealerships .. at least for the next xx years.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt the state congressional politicking has squat to do with Tesla per se; this is a fight over franchise rights, where the dealers and car manufacturers are most emphatically NOT on the same side.

I suspect Tesla is just a proxy, or to use a more familiar line, is caught in the middle. I'll not be at all surprised to find the domestic auto manufacturers line up to support Tesla when this reaches the courts.

ChipL likes this.
  8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It apparently to do w/franchise laws and many/most of them prohibiting automakers from owning/running their own dealerships. Google for tesla franchise laws to see all the barriers they've been running into over the past year or two.

I doubt any of the niche automakers you mention own those dealerships (in the US). I've seen Range Roger dealers that also sold Nissans, for example.

But yes, this crap is absolutely ridiculous. It appears it's a bunch of entrenched interests (auto dealers and their associations) not wanting their business to go away. I suspect they fear that this will snowball into something larger.

ChipL likes this.
  9. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One of the main reasons I started ChargeNY.com is to battle 'campaigns' against EV progress, but holy moly, how does one defend against this type of corruption? If you are in NYS, highly recommend you join ChargeNY so we can exchange ideas (such as continuing to call the senate office once they get back).

If you are on twitter, make some noise, tweet @NYSERDA, @NYGovCuomo, and your representative.

I do agree with SageBrush, and that this is just a proxywar, as I'm sure manufacturers would LOVE to sell directly to the public.

JMD likes this.
  10. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lexus dealerships do an excellent job in servicing and maintaining the cars I have bought - so much so that it is difficult to go to any alternative dealer, even Toyota. Why can't Tesla do the same?

Tesla can require extremely high standards from their dealers - and make it a clause that they would lose their dealership if they don't. And they can further require a huge investment of money from their potential dealers. And they can require continued training of their staff to indoctrinate them in the Tesla way. This training would also cost the dealership money since they would have to pay for training for every staff member - including secretaries, mechanics, etc.

This would weed out the slackers - like the Mercedes Benz dealers who don't really care for their customers.

Rather than fight existing laws, they can simply do better and take advantage of those same laws.

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tesla is only selling 2,000 cars a month hardly enough to support a national dealer channel

ChipL likes this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is Plug-In America any help on this issue? I tried (with little success) to discuss the VA hybrid tax with them.

13. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Hahahahahahaha. Thanks, you made my day.

JMD likes this.
  14. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Let's all band together, and work with Tesla to "own" a dealership. We can all learn the car 100% and be considered a dealership. I'm sure we can find some loophole somewhere that'll allow Tesla to help cover operational expenses :D

15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    According to Elon the NY Assembly passed the bill that will shut down Tesla

image.jpg

16. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do NY politicians want to end the American Jobs that Tesla created that pay American taxes. These are tough times for Americans do we need to stand in the way of Job creation and technical innovation?

image.jpg

17. woppa

woppa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can someone please explain in short how this bill is shutting down tesla so I can call my representatives without sounding like an idiot. I can't read the text of the bill at this very moment.

18. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Interesting, anyway, I'm wondering if there's a correlation between this and the fact that NYS has outlawed all electric bicycles, and this is the fall-out.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla has a unqiue sales program - direct to consumer (no dealerships) - which actually many car manufacturers would like to do this, but the state dealership-sponsored special-interest groups work hard to prevent this type of car sales system. Tesla is facing the same problem in many states. I believe Virginia has already said "no way" to this idea (why am I not surprised?). But I know we had a local Fisker Karma rep.

So it is not an anti-Tesla action per se, it is an anti-direct-to-consumer car sales action. It just means (someone correct me) that a NY consumer has to order from CA and pay for delivery.

JMD likes this.
  20. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fusco one of the Tesla owners lives in MO. He ordered from California and the car was delivered in St Louis to his Medical office. They had no sales store in his state. I believe a Customer Service Rep flew out and delivered the car