1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie in VA - close to pulling trigger

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Big Steve, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all, Steve in Richmond, VA here.

Current cars 2003 Outback and 1997 Camry.

Close to pulling trigger on a Prius to replace the Camry.

Questions I have to answer:
    Prius or Prius V?
    What trim level?
    Where to buy (local dealer, best price I cam get through Internet etc?)

Any thoughts welcome.

Steve

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, need more to work with on what you want and what you are willing to pay for.

The current Prius has the highest MPG between the two. If you wait a bit longer, the Prius c and the Prius Plug-in will have even higher MPG. The current 3rd Gen Prius = 51/48/49 (City/Highway/Combined). The Prius v = 44/40/42

Trim level is also up to you, what kind of options you are looking for. Just know, for the Prius v, until mentioned later, you need a Trim Level 5 in order to get the panoramic moonroof and it is part of the Adv Tech Package.

The Prius v has a bit larger cargo capacity over the current Prius. The Prius c will have a smaller, compact design, hence it getting better MPG.

3. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Keiichi.
    1. Prius C is not for me, nor plug-in. I personally think US is not ready for plug-in away from home.
    2. Like the gadgets of the ATP in the V
    3. Difficult to rationalize the mileage go the Prius away
    4. I am 6'2 and not skinny, but both seem to have plenty of room.
    5. One thing I like with my current Outback is the higher seats. Did I read the V has a higher seat than the Prius? It seemed that way at dealer but not sure that wasn't the way I had it set.

4. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Finally, willing to pay for the useful options, the increments won't make much diff monthly.

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, I can tell you I am 6' tall, so just slightly shorter than you. I also have a fairly big frame, about 2' or so wide shoulder to shoulder so I can say that the Prius v is pretty good for size and height. The seats in the Prius v is also not standard car layout, IE: Legs extended forward, you can sit normally in there with reasonable head room.

The backseat area is also pretty roomy as well.

I have the ATP, I have used the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control a lot, the screen for the JBL Nav system is nicer than in the standard one. Trim 5 also includes, if I recall correctly, the ability to unlock the passenger side as well as the driver side with the smart key so you don't need to unlock them from the driver side.

I don't know how often you will need the Auto Parking Guidance System, I haven't really used it that much. Sirius XM comes as a trail for 3 months and the data service, I think for 3 years. I don't consider it a 'big must' but is part of the ATP. The Prius v 5 also has Auto Headlights, which I literally abuse to death (no more looking at turning on the lights) as well as the fog lights.

Beyond that, can't think of anything that would be a major difference for you over the Prius beyond what I mentioned.

1 person likes this.
  6. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks again. APGS would only ever be used to see how it works. Better stereo Is a definite plus, but Sirius less so. I think I will have to sit in V again. Have you sat in it any long distances yet?

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I got the 2006 Prius really wanted Camry Hybrid at first.
    But when TCH finally came out it was blah, decided I wanted the Prius.
    Assume you know the new Camry Hybrid design is all the rave.
    Also the v is very popular. So it is very hard choice.
    The economy choice is reg Prius cheaper a great MPG and you have the fun of that.
    If room is more important you have v.
    If comfort for long trips is more important you have TCH.

PS- I struggled with dealers, went with lower hype guys in Mannassas Miller Toyota.
    Another good one on I95 beltway in Alexandria but they were out of Prii when I was looking.
    Also you have up here somewhere Carmax site where you can buy new Toyotas. You may want to at least check out the website. Not sure about Richmond area, but there are some Prii owners down there on PriusChat.

8. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Currently, no. Longest sit was for 10 miles. So far mostly been doing commuting with it. But there is a lumbar support. Unlike the standard Prius, the seats are manual adjust, not 'power adjust', but the ATP will give you heated front seats if you have really annoying cold times. Oh, and the Stereo system uses JBL Greenedge, which should be using lower power to kick out the sounds. A lot of this, you just need to do a little test driving to get a feel though.

9. MimoToy

MimoToy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I got my Prius V Three from Fitzmall with the navigation, best 'internet price; however be very careful if you have a trade-in, they make it up by offering you way below KBB or Black Book. I got my on 2/24/2012 and the maps are outdated, it shows Nav ID: NQNA2010Q4. The dealer tells me it's the latest available maps, are they kidding? We're in March 2012, come on Toyota, give me a break!

10. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've been using navigation systems since the very First Garmin Street Pilot. It's always been my understanding that there's a 3 year lag time between new streets creation and their being included in publically released software. Remember, the data is collected by having someone from the "mapmaker" actually DRIVING on the revised roads,collecting data which is then taken back and set aside for the next "released" update. I believe the rule of thumb was something like 1-2 years before the new information,actually was collected and then another year before it's release.

These sound like new maps to me!

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard Steve. We traded out 97 Camry I4 for our Prius. It had 126K and still ran good though it need some attention.

Good luck with your choice. We made a good decision.

12. DavieDanie630

DavieDanie630 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As another Virginian looking to buy, do you have any opinion on the Prius C vs the V? I would definitely consider myself a small car person and small cargo space isn't a huge draw back for me, so I'd be willing to wait.

13. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So far, a lot of the information handed out about the Prius c is that it will have a much better MPG over the Prius v, only the Prius Plugin rivals it, but to be honest, you should research your driving locations to see if the Plugin will be worthwhile or see if there will be planned electrical charging stations in the areas you will be driving to to really gain the benefit over the Plugin. At this time, the plugin infrastructure seems a little immature to really seriously look at the Plugin unless you happen to be in one of the major metro areas that is considering it as alternative.

2012 Toyota Prius c

This cites EPA MPG estimates around 53/46 City/Highway, so it is a little better than the Prius in city, but worse on highway, evening out a little. The Prius c's basic design is similar to the Prius v, where you have the flat back area, but shortened so it isn't nearly as big cargo wise as the Prius v is, but for those, like me, who hate how the Prius 'bar' in the back, this might be a plus in view.

In this prototype picture:

[​IMG]

The Prius V (On the right):

[​IMG]

As you can see in the pictures, the Prius c nips the rear a bit more, so it should fit in spaces similar to compact cars. I would hazard to guess that the rear passenger space is a little shorter as well. If anything the Prius v is probably closer to a mini-suv for the Prius and the Prius c is going to be the true 'hatchback' type Prius (Like the Fit or other smaller hatch backs). While the Prius standard will have the hatchback design for the cargo area, it will still have the sedan style shape.

14. Tandem Rider

Tandem Rider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Three weeks ago I bought a 2011 Prius Hatchback and strongly considered the V. I went with the Hatchback because of the better mpg and it was $3K cheaper. I also have a Sienna van and when I need to haul something I can drive the van. I figured that the gas saved with the regular Prius over the V could be used to drive the van sometimes. If I had not had the van I might have bought the V.

Since you are taller than I am you might find the V more comfortable and less confining. The console is more open on the V and the larger size may be to your advantage.

I am enjoying driving the Prius. The electronics are fun to watch while driving and I have cut gas cost in half. For me, it is a fun car to drive but I was driving a mini van.

15. MimoToy

MimoToy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have Magellan and Garmin stand-alone GPS' that have new street updates that are less than a year old. Can't understand why Toyota's maps lags so much behind. I'm upset that when Toyota does have the new map release, they'll milk me for another couple of hundred dollars. Buying a new car in Feb 2012 and having 2010 maps in the Nav system don't make any sense whatsoever; Perhaps it's Toyota's way of making more money.

16. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is similar to my Garmin experience. For a year after moving into a new home, my street did not "EXIST". About 14 months later it was updated.

17. run for cover

run for cover New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Big Steve...

what dealer are you looking to pick up your prius? I am in northern va and just started shopping around.

thanks and good luck

18. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Local dealer is Haley Toyota. Will look around for other price points. Will use CR, CU, Costco etc to see what price variability thre is out there.