1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Question - When close to Out of Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ewp, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ewp

ewp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just got my new 2008 Prius Touring. Only put one tank of gas in and that was immediately after "Add Fuel" indicator came on. Was only able to put 10.3 gallons in my 11.9 gallon tank.

I went on a long trip this week and when the "Add Fuel" indicator light came on I figured I had at least a gallon or two so was safe for 20/30 miles anyway. After about 15 miles - almost every light on the dash came on (incl VSC?) and the car seemed to "shift to low gear" and wouldn't let me go more than 55mph! A very sudden action - kinda alarming given it wasn't expected. Fortunately, I was right at an exit off the interstate. Thinking it had to do with gas - I filled up immediately. Presto! All the lights went off and car ran great the balance of the trip (some 700 additional miles) without the slightest hint of any problem. No more warning lights or anything. I thought maybe it was some sort of forced conservation due to fuel levels - but can't find anything in the manual that says anything about such a "feature." Any ideas?

2. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I've seen my dash light up like a Christmas Tree too - unfortunately I was about a mile from the service station, and my '08 Touring only had 5000 feet left in fumes and electricity. Don't do as I did, do as I NOW do. After she beeps and blinks the first time, immediately bat it down to the station and enjoy filling up (400 miles and I can't even fit in 9 gallons??? - yes, I now enjoy buying gas.) And just in case I didn't say it strongly enough - do NOT depend on electricity to get you to the gas pump - to do that, you're really testing the battery gods. Have fun!

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Note: The actual capacity of the gas tank VARIES.
    You NEVER know how much fuel is left in there except the amount that you KNOW you put in there.

Thats not a feature. You were really out of gas.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to the world of the guess gauge!

Your Prius had an 11.9 gallon tank before they put a bladder in it to reduce emissions. The actual capacity will vary with temperature.

You were lucky, running out of gas can be an expensive event. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank and if it burns out the repair is not minor repair.

Just believe the gauge when it says to add fuel. Most of us fill up before the last pip begins to blink.

5. ewp

ewp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Whitey and Bob!

Ouch! Didn't realize the ol' Prius was gonna be quite that sensitive. I don't normally "test the gas gods" that way - perhaps I over thought it.

Worry not, Prius fans. I won't treat the newest Touring on the road that way again. Lesson learned.

But it is interesting that it would "go" that fast and far on electricity only. NO! Not even going to go there. DING - I am off to the Shell to put in my next $30 for 400+ worry free miles.

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did your traction battery drain really fast?

7. ewp

ewp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not sure if I am answering your question or not...but the VSC warning light came on. How would I know if the traction battery drained?

Sorry to be ignorant. Still pretty new....

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are going to take a small beating from everyone here on PC, but chalk it up to a cheap lesson since you didn't do any damage. The Prius tank holds 11.9 gallons gross, but the usable fuel is less. There are a lot of posts on this forum that will explain exactly what the bladder is and what it does; there are even some nice photos. All you need to know is that the fuel capacity varies. When the fuel gauge says to get gas, get gas. If you run out of fuel again, don't drive it on electric. You were lucky to get away with it this time. I always fill up when the gauge drops to one bar or before.

Tom

9. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the post. I was wondering the same thing.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once you have only 1 bar of the fuel gauge you have no idea how much fuel you have left, why not fill up when the gauge has 2 bars lit?

Don't forget to post on the Prius drivers who have run out of "gas" thread.

Also read up on battery failure and no warranty thread.

11. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did a similar thing on my first tank from the dealer. With the economy I was getting I expected at least another 40 miles.... At 1st I blamed it on the dealer not filling it all the way, but after reading here, its jsut the varying fuel bladder. I did run mine all the way down, because aI was going uphill when the ICE died. Luckily, no harm done....

:eek:

Jeremy

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's actually very simple: when the last pip starts to flash you must buy gas immediately. You may have only a mile left (or maybe more, but there is *no way* to be certain how much). A prudent person will never let that last pip start to flash.

If you do run out you must put in at least three gallons, so that the fuel tank computer will recognize that fuel has been added and allow the car to start again.

It would be nice if the US owner's manual were more explicit about this.

13. scotttyb68

scotttyb68 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am also new to the pruis, just got mine in Feb. Since it doesn't have a "normal" gas gauge, I have been filling up at about 3 bars. Shouldn't really let a car get below a half tank in icy Michigan anyways. Still getting used to my little high tech car, and I sure do love it so far.