1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nexus S with ICS, choppy BT Audio

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by HTMLSpinnr, Dec 17, 2011.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    After upgrading my Samsung (Google) Nexus S to Android 4.0.3 (ICS or Ice Cream Sandwich), I've discovered that BT Audio doesn't perform well at all.

For reference, NAV software is 10.1. Both Phone and BT Audio sections have the same device name and PIN settings.

With Gingerbread, the phone was constantly disconnecting if a call wasn't active, and permitting a BT Audio session on the car would yield a constant connect/disconnect cycle.. However, if I forced a connection to BT Audio from the car, I could get music to reliably play (although at varying pitch/speed at times).

Now, with two exceptions that I haven't been able to recreate, it seems that audio stutters each time I attempt to play audio through the Prius head unit. Not sure if this is a car problem or a phone problem. If there are others with a Nexus S that have received the new ICS update, can you confirm whether BT Audio is reliable or functional? For now, I'm sticking w/ the AUX cable.

Excerpt of "adb logcat" output:
    D/BluetoothA2dpService( 155): A2DP Playing state : device: 00:1E:3D:71:62:4E State:11->10
    W/AudioFlinger( 83): write blocked for 1136 msecs, 49 delayed writes, thread 0x6ad30
    D/A2DP ( 83): Received BT_RESPONSE - BT_STOP_STREAM
    D/BluetoothA2dpService( 155): A2DP: onSinkPropertyChanged newState is: 2mPlayingA2dpDevice: 00:1E:3D:71:62:4E
    D/BluetoothA2dpService( 155): A2DP Playing state : device: 00:1E:3D:71:62:4E State:10->11
    E/a2dp_audio_hw( 83): _out_buf_thread_func: a2dp_write failed (-110)
    D/A2DP ( 83): bluetooth_start
    W/AudioTrack( 83): obtainBuffer timed out (is the CPU pegged?) 0x6a5c0 user=000fea00, server=000fc200
    D/A2DP ( 83): Received BT_RESPONSE - BT_START_STREAM
    D/A2DP ( 83): Received BT_RESPONSE - BT_NEW_STREAM
    D/BluetoothA2dpService( 155): A2DP: onSinkPropertyChanged newState is: 10mPlayingA2dpDevice: null
    D/BluetoothA2dpService( 155): A2DP Playing state : device: 00:1E:3D:71:62:4E State:11->10
    D/A2DP ( 83): a2dp_stop

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does the Nexus S with ICS have AVRCP 1.3? When my BT audio plays choppy, I reboot the phone and reconnect BT. That solves the problem.

3. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Reboot of the phone didn't seem to persist any sort of fix. I'm not sure of the version, but will check on that at my next opportunity.

4. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm starting to think it's either a flaw in the BT chip of my phone, or a problem in software. Initial pairing after a factory reset yielded results, then it became "results after track skip", which then transformed into a polling for capabilities that just never ended.

For those who are curious, no ICS doesn't add title display to BT Audio.

5. SUPERCOOLMAN

SUPERCOOLMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    reboot your prius. it solves my problem since the first day I have my prius and I'm using a Nokia phone. reboot phone doesn't resolve anything.

6. jack_foy

jack_foy Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi HTMLSpinnr,

I've had the same issue since receiving the update to ICS. Apparently Google has acknowledged the problem and frozen further distribution of the upgrade until they can implement a fix. It's really disappointing.

In my experience, restarting either the phone or the car does nothing to fix it, but completely unpairing and re-registering the phone as an audio player gives a good connection until the next time the car is started. That's a lot of fussing around when this is something that used to work quite well.

7. rosenberger31

rosenberger31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am having the same issue since the ICS release on the Nexus S. The only fix I have been able to come up with is to keep pausing then playing the media (either on the head unit or phone) until playback resumes like normal. This may take several minutes. I have also found that waiting a couple of minutes once paused can fix the issue. I may do a full restore of the phone soon to see if that helps.

8. marshac

marshac New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have this same problem, although it's with a Galaxy S2 running a final candidate build of ICS- I also had the problem with a Nexus S running ICS. Clearly this is a problem with the BT stack in ICS and nothing hardware specific.

9. gayedsron

gayedsron New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm commencing to think it's either a fault in the BT chip of my telephone, or problems in utility. original pairing after a manufacturing facility reset yielded aftermaths, then it became "performance after manner dumpster", which then altered into a polling for characteristics that just never finished.