1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan’s Need Sparks One-of-a-Kind “Hybrid” Truck

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Sep 18, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Source: Nissan’s Need Sparks One-of-a-Kind “Hybrid” Truck | TheDetroitBureau.com
    Hummm, now that is a nice, small pickup. If could carry a removable, spare battery pack, my Nashville requirement would be met.
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice. I have thought of getting one of the Zap's with the fold flat beds so it can carry 4x8 sheets (plywood and drywall mostly) flat down. The only load I haven't managed to squeeze into the Prius. I wouldn't bother trying in the Leaf, it is pretty tiny. Not noticeable when driven separately, but when parked next to eachother the Prius is a goliath

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why does a delivery vehicle HAVE to be a pickup in the US? Why not just use the Nissan e-NV200 van? It's actually cheaper to buy than a Nissan Leaf, or it is here at least and by about £2,500.

I understand a pickup for a farmer and a builder, but a vehicle parts supplier? The parts will just get nicked or wet wouldn't they?

Nissan e-NV200 - Nissan's new electric commercial vehicle
    [​IMG]

And they also offer a Combi version too for those who need such a vehicle. That works out slightly more than a Leaf and could be an interesting idea.

upload_2014-9-19_10-30-54.jpeg

Nissan e-NV200 company car or car fleet - Nissan Corporate Sales

Though it is only a 5 seater, but with massive luggage capacity. An ideal taxi if it wasn't for the poor range.

Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The fact that an auto parts store, the one using green and yellow, switched to Hyundai/Kia hatchbacks when the Ranger went off the market is proof that a pick up truck isn't needed for the job. There is the aforementioned NV200 and Transit Connect for those businesses that couldn't be served by a smaller wagon.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the kind of ride I'd like to see at the Detroit Auto Show.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know what you're saying - but if you have a tall load like a refrigerator or sheets of plywood the load is restricted to the height and width of the van interior. But if its open air - you can go much higher with the stuff that you are carrying .

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hear what you're saying and a counter argument in most cases is to get a bigger van to suit.

But it wouldn't apply to the tiny Leaf pickup as shown above. You'd be lucky to get a small fridge in that or even a dog. I know it was probably a fun project and not meant to be practical either, but the e-NV200 is cheaper and more practical for most.

Perhaps pickups are only popular somewhere it doesn't rain every day?

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the summer it rains almost every day and in the winter it is perma-snow. Pickups are popular here.

I make a point of betting with the Home Depot (big box brand store for home supplies) people about what I can get in the Prius.

I carried a full size standalone freezer it. I've carried a full size boxed bathtub. Nearly a thousand pounds of tile, enough 10ft lumber to build a huge deck including the support posts and beams, nearly a thousand pounds of concrete for my hot tub pad, and the list goes on. Pickups are really only needed in very limited situations. And in those situations, they aren't needed at all because a small truck is a better choice.

I go down to the nearest uHaul place, rent a teeny-tiny moving truck for $19.99 + gas (usually also $20) and drive around town picking up big items like a pool table, server rack chassis, ping pong table, etc. $40 once or twice a year is much cheaper than the gas for a pickup over a week with my driving. And all of my vehicles are much more pleasant to drive.

bwilson4web and usnavystgc like this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Another way to look at that, is that it just means they are easier to overload. Friend once put enough PVC pipe onto a pick up to have the pipe stacked 3 to 4 feet above the cab. He also stuffed his 1980 Rabbit full with pipe once, but going high rises the already high center of gravity on a truck.

Pick ups do have a use when it comes to hauling dirty stuff that doesn't matter if it gets wet; such as mulch and scrap metal. But that doesn't apply to most businesses needing a truck. All the aplliances I had delivered were done so in a van or box truck. Auto parts delivery use compact hatchbacks. These guys likely had fun doing this, but if a regular Leaf couldn't haul what they needed, this truck hack won't do much better.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Disney had EV pickups back in the late 1990's. With their GM relations, Disney leased around a half dozen of S10 EV pickups. With a typical range of about 65 miles, they had the same nickel metal hydride batteries that the EV1 had. By 2001 though, the employees' maintenance / neglect had taken their toll, and they were all returned at the end of their lease. By year 2000, all of the paddle chargers were taken off property too. Even so, I understand there ARE a few still a hand full of S10 EV's out there:

A few of GM's electric Chevrolet S10 pickups survive

There are likely more conversion S10's running around the landscape than OEM's.
    All that to say - if the bigger EV pickups didn't sell - the little ones that carry even less likely wouldn't sell either.

11. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are still some Ranger EVs around also.
    Being small production conversions, they really weren't priced to sell in numbers. The Wiki says the Ranger listed for $53k. The new BMW i3 costs less.