1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No EV when first powered on but plenty of battery power?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, Nov 24, 2014.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This has happened a few times since I've gotten the recall done, but it's not until now I'm getting miffed.

If I start the Prius first thing in the morning and try to use EV mode, the system says it's not available. Battery indicator is over 50%...more than enough to say it's not a lack of available power cutting off access to EV mode.

Problem does not reproduce once the car's been driven for a while.

This is a pain because the chief advantage of EV mode is the ability to move the Prius without bothering with the ICE.

Are there other factors that cut off access to EV mode I don't know of? Air/engine temp...for example?

Other issues I'm having, but I think should be easy to correct, is that I got a rough "stumble" when the ICE kicked in this morning. Only thing that stands out is that I hand-washed the car on Saturday, but I don't see how that should affect anything. I'm adding a can of B-12 Chemtool to the tank and filling up this morning in case it's just a fuel system issue.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    engine temp might play into it. did you used to be able to enter ev with a cold engine in winter?

on the rough startup, it's from unburned fuel in the intake manifold, and is caused by moving the car in the driveway, and shutting the engine off before warm up is complete. because ev wasn't available for the short move. it's very aggravating.

3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't recall last winter. I hardly ever use EV mode. I just happen to notice it now, but it seems odd to compel you to use the ICE when all you want to do is move the car in the driveway.

Keep in mind that my Prius is garage-kept, so it's not as cold as if it was parked outside overnight.

4. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It seems there is an EV lockout when ICE temp is below 68deg.

5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Your car is acting exactly the way my '13 C does......making the EV button mostly worthless.

6. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since it's cooler out now, I've run into the same problem and it is irritating. However, I'm sure there's some reason that they don't make EV mode available, though I can't think of what it might be.

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is this a new thing? Or a US model thing? It's always below 20c here. I can use EV mode any time (other than well below freezing) so long as I press it in the first 5 seconds or so.

If it is a new thing it's a bad idea. EV mode is ideal for moving the car about on your drive or out of the garage.

8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll have to experiment a little with the button, but it seems like I was always able to just press it anytime before the ICE started. Maybe I've been pressing it before all the electronics are up and running or something.

9. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think it's a US model thing, present at least on all the Gen III models. EV mode is not allowed when first starting the car unless the engine coolant temperature is above 68°F/20°C. If you're moving the car into the driveway to wash it, the only thing you can do is floor it and get it in place in the 12 seconds before the ICE kicks in. ;) (Just don't run over your kids while doing this...)

It's not the only way they gimped our EV mode; IIRC, you guys can go faster than 25 mph too.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes and no. We can drive upto 31 mph in EV mode but that is just the displayed speed. 31 mph displayed comes out as about 26/27 mph actual.

11. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    An engine heater keeping temp at 69 deg is one solution, though maybe not a good one.

12. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got the message again this morning. Reading it quickly, it said the motor was warming up.

This, to me, is a severe design oversight. Yes, battery potency drops when it's cold, but it should be below 45F before EV is locked out.

I wonder if Toyota can fix this with a "patch?"

Anyone know who to contact at Toyota who could answer this question?

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ You've actually got something like 15 seconds of EV after start up, regardless of EV status, ambient temp, state of charge. If you're very quick, you can use it to get the car from garage to driveway. If you shut down and restart, you get another 15 seconds.

I would LOVE a patch, Toyota, to increase this 15 seconds to, say, 60 seconds. And if it's not asking too much, display a countdown on the dash, so you know when you're reaching the limit.

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, but 15 seconds is hardly time for the garage door opener to do its job.

15. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Plan A H E A D !! :)

I would love to have 15 seconds; my C is more like 4 seconds.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Umm, open the garage door first? I didn't say I was happy with it, lol. It is what it is, as St Vincent would say.

And yeah, 60 seconds would be nice, Toyota.

17. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or a "press EV and START at the same time" for an added delay.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pm the priusteam, they are pretty good at sorting things like this out. doug, or erica.

19. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do I find a list of the people on the team? The first names bring up multiple matches in search.

20. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    There is a user actually called "Prius Team".