1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Test Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mouztrpd, May 29, 2005.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I test drove one first day after deciding it was time to maybe switch. Found a dealer with 3 on the lot and I was surprised and thrilled to be offered a test drive. I wanted to make sure I could stomp on the accelerator and have the thing go like I wanted. Did so 4 years ago in a 2001 Prius, was not satified, and decided to wait. I am performance spoiled, coming from a V8, but the 2005 does the trick for me, so a new prius for me....

2. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Got "The Call" yesterday. They had a package 5 Driftwood deal fall through. We're waitng for a #6 but if it had been a #4 the temptation may have been too much. Could be any day now!

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If people would put their locations, maybe someone nearby would offer help.

I know I would offer a test drive to anyone in the area who wants to check the car out.

4. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Took delivery of a driftwood #6 today.....so far we love it!

5. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually...

... while it is unlikely that you will dislike the Prius if you've read up on it, I had only test-driven a Prius a couple of times before I bought mine. After a few days of driving I was a little disappointed to find the drivers seat less than comfortable. I am 6' 2" and found that there is little thigh support and my back began to ache after driving for an hour. The front seats are only adjustable for reach and seat back inclination, not height or cushion angle. Not a deal-breaker, but a certainly a factor in the decision process of somebody who is not altogether sure...

6. sailorkid

sailorkid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mouztrpd\";p=\"105552)</div>
    Congradulations-you'll love the car in Ogden...coming down any Wasatch canyon will light up all your green battery bars...

7. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When we got the car it showed 2 purple bars ..... after driving it a few miles it shows about 4 blue ones.....these will go green with increasing levels of charge?

Just under 40 mpg after 40 miles of driving, but the battery still isn't charged up yet, at least so my guessing says.

8. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh and by the way since this thread is, "No Test Drive", I think I should mention; We did get one before We bought. :)

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I didn't do a test drive at a dealer. I was able to rent one for a couple of weeks. The only problem was that the one I rented was a #1 package, while the one I bought was a #6, so I had to learn about all the gadgets (like the Smart Key).

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: There is a *MAJOR* point to a test drive. Having only read posts and news articles about the Prius, there nothing like actually getting behind the wheel and experiencing for yourself the "feel" of this remarkable machine.

A local dealer had a used Prius 2nd Generation for sale (12,000 miles on the odo - asking $25,800 - Summer 2004) which we were able to take for a ~10 mile test drive including freeways and city streets. (I'm confident my wife hoped that I wouldn't like the Prius. She was wrong!) We were able to experience the quiet, smooth accelleration and firm (similar to European) suspension and getting at least a little feel of the Prius. Reading reviews and posts could never have equalled the experience of actually driving a Prius. The Dealer's price was unacceptable, so I finally bought "Ernestine" on eBay used with 4,000 miles on the odo - like new having been owned by a Toyota employee. At that time (October 2004) I paid MSRP - the "penalty" being the 4,000 miles - a much better deal than I could find searching nationwide.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(majordude\";p=\"94497)</div>
    Really now, what is the point of a test drive?

If you are 4' 5" or 6' 4" I can understand your concerns, but most of us are within the bell curve and every car fits us.

[/b][/quote]

That's true, but there are people (not me) that find the seats at the best uncomfortable and at the worst painful.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt\";p=\"105699)</div>
    I agree. I was mentally sold on the Prius, but it wasn't until I took a test drive that it really grabbed me.

Particularly things that I couldn't know about from PriusChat descriptions. An example: the incredible front visibility. With the front hood so small, and sloping down so dramatically, I felt like I was able to see much more in the front window than I did in my old Honda Civic.

The first time I drove one, I felt like I was in an SUV -- as if somehow I was seated higher than I actually was. An interesting optical illusions.

13. meeminator

meeminator New Member

I was able to test drive a rental Prius at the dealer. It wasn't available upon my first visit, but they called me when it arrived (it was brand new) and I got to take it for a spin. I had ridden in one before, but wanted to drive it and pay more attention to details. One thing I look for is the height of the head rests. I'm short, and in some cars I can't easily see around the head rest no matter how I adjust them. I was happy that there was no problem with the Prius, and I put my deposit down that day. They already had one coming in that matched my needs, and I picked up my Super White package #6 on Friday. I love it, and I giggled a little as I drove by a gas station and looked at the prices.

When I was at the dealer arranging financing, another couple came in wanting to test drive my Prius. The sales manager was going to let them, but I told my salesman that I would prefer that they drive the rental like I did. I checked the mileage when I finally picked up the car and it hadn't changed. :)