1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No warning beep for headlights left "on"?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ES44AC, Sep 2, 2012.

1. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm surprised that with all the other bells and whistles and beeps there isn't one to let me know I left my lights on.

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Once you open your door, there's a default timer to shut them down in 30 seconds...at least that's the way it is on the 10s. You can have your dealer change it to "instant off" when you open your door.

ES44AC likes this.
  3. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I turn my headlights on and off manually. At first I was using the automatic lights, then one day it did not turn off automatically. I came back to my car after two hours and the headlights were still on. After that happened I never went back to using the headlights automatically.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OP, just an fyi as seen in your profile, your 2011 Prius is a model Two not II unless you live in Hawaii as I think there they used the roman numeral numbering system for 2011 as well. The rest of the US only used Roman Numerals for models in 2010.

As also stated the lights are on a timer and should shut off after ~30 seconds. I can't recall off hand how, but there is something one can do which makes them not turn off like what happened to kalome. When I still had my 2010 (and my 2006 as well) I just turned them on and off as needed. Now for 2012 I have full true auto and just leave them on Auto.

5. sLick415

sLick415 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you turn on your accessories after turning off your car, the headlights dont auto off.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bingo.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sLick415 is correct. You pretty much have to try to keep them on. :)

8. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi phoneixgreg,

I will try it and see if it works but the last thing I need is for it not to work and end up with no power :(

thanks!

9. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tiny correction
    My lights don't go off 30 seconds after I open the door (after turning the car off). The lights stay on as long as I have the door open--or any other door, including the hatchback.
    The lights go off 30 seconds after I close the last of the doors.
    I looked in the Owner's Manual p. 206, and in 2010 that was how it was supposed to work.

I've never left a door open like this for more than a few minutes, so there may be a fail-safe for idiots who leave doors open (which I have done).

P. 165 says that if you leave the car in ACC and the shifter in Park for an hour, the car will turn OFF. But by this time, the 12 V battery could be discharged, depending on what you have been using, the Manual says.

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, if you turn off and on the lights when the door is open, they should stay on....