1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise after car shuts off is getting louder?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BoostedTimmy, Jan 6, 2010.

1. BoostedTimmy

BoostedTimmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay so whatever pump that still runs after the car is off is getting louder, sometimes it almost sounds like its running dry every couple of seconds. What fluid is this? How can I check it? Is this just typical with the <25 degree weather thats been here lately?

My car has 104k on it, and my job requires my car...original inverter...this isnt the inverter going bad is it? I changed the trans fluid but havent done the inverter. I absolutely cannot get the red triangle right now!

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats probably the coolant pump for the engine. It's storing hot coolant in the thermos. The fluid in question is probably the toyota super long life coolant (its pinkish).

Even if it breaks, its not a huge problem. The car is still perfectly drivable. It just may have a harder time warming up and will impact your mpg a tad in the first 5 minutes or so.

The inverter uses the same coolant, but that cooling loop is separate. Note: the inverter coolant pump is known to fail around your mileage (I THINK) - but it won't break the inverter - the inverter has heat protection that turns itself off to "limp home mode" until it cools down again..

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The pump sometimes is louder in cold weather anyway, my 05 was especially loud in the winter.

4. BoostedTimmy

BoostedTimmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I know I'm at the time when it usually fails :( If it can limp home its not a huge deal though so that's good to know....its probably just getting louder with winter right now though glad I'm not the only one.

5. priuslovers

priuslovers Way Out Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I also have a 2005 with a little over 100k miles. In the morning when I first start the car (the car is garaged) I hear a funny whine noise (It kind of sounds like the cooling fan, but it is not). It only lasts a few seconds and then stops. Also when I come home from work and turn the car off I also hear the noise for a few seconds. Does anyone have any idea how to diagose this noise?

Thank you, Priuslovers.

6. mse103

mse103 New Member

there is a TSB for the 2005 model at least where the noise does get louder in the cold weather, but toyota says the pump still works perfectly. If under warranty they will replace it with a newer less noisy model..... i was out of warranty when it occured, but decided not to replace it, as it wasnt 'broken' When the warm weather returns it returns to its more silent operation

1 person likes this.
  7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a warranty replacement item, but the design is, uhh, sub-optimal (only one end of the impeller shaft has a bearing), so they may be kind and allow you something on replacing it.

1 person likes this.