1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise from Aux Port (06-08)

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by zenMachine, May 1, 2008.

1. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mylar - Personally I think you are correct that if this is a known defect it should be covered no matter what. That said - they have warranty policies and are not required to fix non-essential defects outside of that warranty.

HOWever - know that the worst-case-scenario here is that they refuse and you can buy your own ground-loop isolator that will - according to others in this thread - fix the problem.

I'm actually in a Toyota Service waiting room right now while they contact my extended warranty and see if they have the parts for the fix. We'll see how it goes.

2. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update for anyone interested:

The warranty said they did cover the fix, and they also wanted to replace the HV water pump and do the pedal shave thing.

So they gave me a rental, said the aux port parts would be in tomorrow morning (they ordered them today) and I could come and pick everything up tomorrow afternoon barring a problem.

Hopefully it all works out, we'll see.

3. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If Toyota refuses to fix this issue then I will pick up the OEM parts which total $151 with shipping and do the modification myself.

I know I can purchase a ground loop isolator on eBay cheap, but I would rather have the space in my arm rest compartment.

Still no word from Toyota USA. I guess their 24 hr call back policy is just as unimportant as Toyota standing behind the products they sell.....

4. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ----

My best advice is save the money and headache from dealing with Toyota. Installation of the fix will take at least 2 hours with the dealer. Not worth it.

The ground loop isolator is slightly bigger than a match box and will not take up a lot of space. You can even tape it to the sides so you still have all the flooring of the console box.

5. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: They ended up doing not only the Aux Jack fix but also the HV water pump and pedal shave. Gave me a rental for the day too, since the HV water pump recall allowed for one, covered.

And indeed the aux jack now works like a charm. No noise at all. Couldn't be happier.
    Done at the dealer the aux jack fix, out of warranty, would cost $285, according to my bill.

6. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This what happened to you is the one of common stories in life that annoys me. Personally I would make a written complaint just to state facts and raise issue. According to what you have said the toyota dealers response is also a bit not intact with customer service code.

I would write to them but polite, and the question is: how much of you time you are willing to allocate on this one.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I've had this problem on my '09 since the day I got it. I found this thread a few years ago and figured that instead of even trying to do the dealer fix, I'd look for an option to filter the power source as the problem only occurs if an audio device is plugged into the 12 volt port at the same time as aux. My intermediate solution was when I cared about sound quality, I'd just unplug the power and let my ipod or phone run on battery.

But recently I got a stereo bluetooth adapter so I could ditch the wire. After having lived with some really good quality stereo bt headphones for a year or so, I knew the sound quality would be really good through this, and it is except for the same electronic noise from the car. Since the bt adapter runs on the 12 volt port, I really have no choice. So I installed a 12 volt noise suppressor which made no difference at all. I'd actually had this thing lying around for almost 2 years. It claims to filter out engine and car electronic noise and provide a clean power supply up to 12 amps. It's useless.

The reason I wanted to filter the power and not the aux is because typical audio noise isolators like this really kill the upper frequencies.

Has anyone done any frequency sweeps with an SPL meter or even just listening?

Also, has anyone actually had this fixed under the platinum extended warranty?

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    BTW, this is a review from amazon which sells the exact same 3.5mm in line isolator people say they are buying on ebay:

"As the title states, the buzz is gone, but it cuts the sound levels at least in half. Kind of pointless to eliminate buzz only to hear muffled music that can barely even be heard unless you crank the volume WAY up. I'd return it, but the restocking fee and the shipping would just eliminate any refund. POS... "

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I tried the Belkin Bluetooth which made no difference. As long as it's plugged into the car's own 12v supply, it passes the electronic garbage noise through.

I then tried the TuneAudio which supposedly has it's own noise isolation built in, but it too was just as disappointing.

I know an optically isolated adapter like many here have gotten will do the trick for the noise, but it will also kill the sound quality.

I really wish I knew where to get a really good power filter that would essentially provide power as isolated as if you were running from a battery.

10. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone have the documentation on pulling apart the center console to install the new filter. I don't mind ordering the OEM parts required...I'd just like a bit more documentation of pulling everything apart! :)

Thanks!

11. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've attached a pdf for your review. Basically the front and rear of the center console pull off. I don't think you need to remove the entire unit to perform this upgrade.

Mylar

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks much! Exactly what I was looking for...:rockon:

13. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just finished the install...took me about an hour and change. I was wrestling the center console for awhile..taking forever to try and effectively get at the aux adapter piece. I didn't/couldn't take off the rear part of the center console, but the front pulled apart pretty easy.

With the screws removed from the front part, the two bolts under the carpet of the center console allowed the unit to lift up to where I could reach underneath and unlatch the adapter, pushing it forward INTO the console. At that point it took about three seconds to hook everything together, but there was absolutely no room to tie the wire and condenser to anywhere...without making the drawer completely unable to shut. I left things loose under there. As it turned out, the little drawer shuts about 98% of the way...not 100%.

I don't know how the techs at Toyota are supposed to make it fit cleanly... But I plugged my phone into the 12v charger, hooked in the AUX port...and the silence was deafening!!! :) The music sounded nice and clear...no squeaking or crackling while plugged into the charger.

Thanks again Mylar.

14. agaisin

agaisin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Noise from Aux Port - Updated TSB to include 09s

Recently purchased a 2009 and in the first week of using the aux input I ran into this issue to the point where I couldn't stand to use the aux input while plugged into power due to the feedback etc.

Read all the threads confirming that 2009 had the same issue even though no one knew of a TSB that included the 2009 models. A quick search of alldatadiy shows me that there is an updated TSB that includes 2009 Prius:
    SB0067-08R1, released on 11/19/2009. Take that with you to the dealership if your car is still under warranty.

Mine is 1k miles out of warranty and not sure if it's worth the hassle or if I should just get the parts and install on my own or just go ghetto with an inline ground loop isolator etc.

Anyhow - thought I would share the fact that 2009 IS IN FACT included in the TSB. The disappointing thing is that while 4Runner and Prius had the issue from 2006-2009, other models included in the TSB appear to have resolved the issue after 2008 or earlier (Camry, FJ Cruiser, Rav4, Solara, Yaris). Not sure why Prius got the shaft with this one.

Not sure what the etiquette is on this board - I toyed with creating a new thread to include 09 since this one's title is specific to 06-08. Anyway, this tidbit is here, just buried 10 pages in - at least I won't get flamed for starting a new thread unnecessarily ;-)

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Could someone that has access to SB0067-08R1 post it here? Thanks!

16. agaisin

agaisin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the text from the alldata version of the TSB. Format isn't ideal and images are missing. To be honest, I think it's exactly the same as the old TSB just updated to say it applies to 2009 Prius as well. The parts are the same for Prius and they still use 2007 model as the example in the steps.

Here's the text:
    Your Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Prius L4-1.5L (1NZ-FXE) (Hybrid)
    Audio System - Noise When Using Auxiliary Devices
    T-SB-0067-08
    Rev1
    May 21, 2008
    Noise from Auxiliary Port with External Device
    Service Category Audio/Visual/Telematics
    Section Audio/Video
    Market USA

Applicability
    TSB REVISION NOTICE
    ^ November 18, 2009 Rev 1:
    Applicability has been updated to include 2009 model year 4Runner, Prius, and 2008 model year Yaris Sedan.

Any previous printed versions of this service bulletin should be discarded.
    TSB SUPERSESSION NOTICE
    The information contained in this TSB supersedes TSB No. AU004-07.
    ^ Applicability has been updated to include 2008 model year 4Runner, Prius, RAV4, and Solara.

^ Parts Information has been updated to include a clarifying illustration.

TSB No. AU004-07 is Obsolete and any printed versions should be discarded. Be sure to review the entire content of this service bulletin before proceeding.
    Introduction
    Some customers may notice noise in the auxiliary mode of their audio system when using an MP3 player or other external audio source with a charger connected to the 12V power port of the vehicle. An improved auxiliary port and in-line filter has been developed to improve this condition. Use the repair procedure below to install the new in-line filter and auxiliary port.
    Required Tools & Equipment
    Warranty Information
    APPLICABLE WARRANTY
    ^ This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
    ^ Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this bulletin.
    Parts Information
    Repair Procedure
    1. Remove the existing auxiliary port terminal from the vehicle.
    Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS):
    2. Install the revised auxiliary port wire harness and noise filter.
    Tape the noise filter to the back side of the trim panel near the auxiliary port ensuring the filter does NOT touch other parts or the wiring harnesses in the vehicle.

NOTE
    Steps A - D are generic installation instructions. The 2007 model year Camry installation is provided as an example.
    A. Connect the vehicle wire connector (4P) into the filter and connect the filter wire connector (8P) into the filter.
    B. Secure the filter to the vehicle wire harness using wire ties.
    C. Install the NEW auxiliary port to the console box.
    D. Connect the filter wire connector (8P) into the NEW auxiliary port.

3. Reassemble the vehicle in reverse order of disassembly.

4. Verify proper operation and that NO noise persists in the auxiliary mode of the audio system.

1 person likes this.
  17. agaisin

agaisin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just did the TSB myself (out of bumper to bumper warranty) - 30 minutes and $148.00 later, complete silence when listening to iPhone while it's plugged in.

18. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sam Brinson likes this.
  19. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Does this noise happen only when the music player is plugged into the cigarette lighter for power, or does it also happen when the music player is running on its own battery?

20. agaisin

agaisin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the TSB and from my own experience it is only when your device is plugged into power:

"Some customers may notice noise in the auxiliary mode of their audio system when using an MP3 player or other external audio source with a charger connected to the 12V power port of the vehicle."

1 person likes this.