1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

noise from engine bay when turn car off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by boostm3, Mar 27, 2012.

1. boostm3

boostm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my 2005 prius with 17k miles, when I turn the car off, Ive been hearing this loud screeching sound coming from the engine bay area.

I searched online for this symptom and came across this youtube video posted by someone else which pretty closely resembles the sound Ive got.

Anybody else heard this sound or is familiar what it is and what the repair cost would be?

Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is the coolant heat recovery system pump which usually runs for several seconds when you first start the car as well as when you turn it off. That noise is relatively "normal" and you don't need to worry about it especially if you don't see any warning lights.

A pump making an unusually high noise level could be replaced under warranty but your car is seven years old so its powertrain warranty has expired by now.

1 person likes this.
  3. boostm3

boostm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick, thanks much for that info. Is this noise any indication that the pump is near failure mode or a sign of impending failure? Or is it just a noisy pump with and not a particular indicator of impending problems? The car, while being 7 yrs old, only has 17k miles on it!

Also, are these early-occurring pump noise issues limited to Gen II priuses? or are they all vulnerable?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The noise is not indicative that the pump is about to fail.

Only G2 North American Prius have the coolant heat recovery system including the noisy pump.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, I'm almost positive Patrick's right. Mine sounded sort of like that before I had it replaced under warranty, for the squealing noise.

6. pdm66

pdm66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol, I think the question should be; Why only 17K miles on a 7 year old hybrid?

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pearl has been making that noise since new. Toyota Canada won't replace the pump unless it fails. Pearl goes off warranty in June, and the pump is still working and squealing. I guess Toyota Canada was right in not replacing it.

Anyway, if Toyota wants everyone to know they don't care that the car makes embarrassing noises when shut down, reflecting on build quality, then so be it! ;)

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm thinking this pump can't be too hard to replace. The price for a new one is only $130 US. If it were me and my pump was noisy (to the point of embarrassment), I would either bug the dealer to death (if under warranty) or, replace it myself. The pump should not be noisy. Mine is not (you can hear it but, its not noisy). Pumps are usually noisy if they are dry (pumping air). If the pump is not dry and is noisy, I would think defect but, I have seen pumps run for a long time after they start making noise.

David,
    Have you tried another dealer or have you appealed to Toyota Canada directly?

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought I should call your attention to this TSB if you are not already aware of it:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-...-you-have-squeaky-chs-water-pump-new-tsb.html

Usually the Toyota distributors worldwide will follow the TSBs that we know of in the US (as long as they are applicable.) I assume that TMS USA follows the lead of Toyota's HQ in Japan.

10. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did that noise go away when you pressed the access cover?

Sounds like a relay is not secure into the terminal block.
    Press down all the fuses and relays located under that cover to make sure they have good contact.

11. boostm3

boostm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats easy. It was owned by my 90 yr old mother on Cape Cod, who didnt drive much lately, thank goodness! Its good when old people dont drive when they shouldnt.. Now, I am the beneficiary of it, since I had to put her into assisted living. Listen, the Prius is an ok car, but not so nice that Id put her away just to get the car! Besides, I do like my bmw 135i alot more.. However, gas is a factor, and the 135i is becoming more of a garage queen, saved for sunny days and highway duty. The prius has become my defacto winter car (Connecticut), and for around town driving.. Cant beat that mileage!

>>Did that noise go away when you pressed the access cover?<<

That wasnt my video; as I posted, I found this on youtube and posted it because the CHR pump noise featured first in the video was the one I was referring to, not the second noise he focused on.

12. alan1572

alan1572 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the uk and my gen 2 prius is also very embarrassing due to this noise, it's covered 50k but has been doing it for at least 20k that I can remember, I'm told it's not covered by toyota and I'm not to happy about it