1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise while using the Mic

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by umichioe, Jun 22, 2013.

1. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When ever my wife use the prius v's Bluetooth to call me, there is a lot of background noise.

Also she said the voice commands cannot be use when the fan speed is higher than three bar.

Anyone has any suggestion resolving these? Where is the microphone in the car?

Thanks.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The mic is in the map light module. Mine is so good people do not realize I am on a speakerphone. Might try speaking up as my wife has a softer voice and sometimes people don't hear her correctly. Others report problems if the AC is on high fan or the windows are open.

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right after I get in my car and start heading home after work, I typically call home to say I'm on my way. But on warm days when the a/c fan is on high, I find I have to turn it down so I can hear and be heard. Occasionally someone will say I sound like I'm in a tunnel, but most times they can't tell. When someone starts giving me info thinking I'm writing it down, I have to remind them I'm driving and to please send me a text.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure none of the air vents are pointed up towards the mic. Also, turning off the recirc function will greatly reduce the noise level.

5. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Gathered PriusChatters - FWIW to fuel miser HSD "Cowboys & Cowgirls" out there experiencing unexplained erroneous responses from the Nav Lady to your attempts to execute voice response commands, please read, heed, and be edified.

The "Fan Noise" and "Rapidly Moving Air Circulation From The HVAC" is the "Dirty Little Secret & Fatal Flaw" of the Nav Lady's Voice Recognition (VR) Function.

Here recently, I was reminded of this sonic shortfall of the Entune System when I took my Prius v(vee) Petrol Warfighter into the dealer to have the latest Navigation Map Database Update installed. Prior to visiting the Toyota dealer to have it installed, I had all my HVAC air vent louvers positioned to the "Optimal" position to cool and keep comfortable and happy my front seat passenger, who is normally my, chauffeured-by-me, beautiful wife --- as well as adjusted to push enough air into and towards the rear seat passenger area of the cabin.

I say "Optimal," because it is very tricky to adjust the air vents to keep happy, two (2) Le Femmes, my Bride-For-Life and the "Nav Lady," with respect to the HVAC air direction exiting the dash vents with the circulation fan setting at Max Blower. It is a real challenge to keep my, "Joe, adjust the air conditioner" Bride, and my "Pardon?" Nav Lady girlfriend happy, cool, and understanding my mumbling attempts at Voice Recognition (VR) communication. This communication challenge applies equally to both my flesh-and-blood Bride, and my zeros-and-ones girlfriend, the Nav Lady. ;)

Anyhoo, when I picked up my car after the Map Database download install, the Nav Lady was not understanding and responding to my VR Commands. At first I thought, "Oh my God, the Toyota Dealer's Tech-Mechanics did it to me again and screwed up my Entune as part of the install." I pleaded with the Nav Lady, "Favorite...Home...... Favorite...Home," but the Lil' Darlin' told me there was "No Home." Egads! The Nav Lady told me that I was "Homeless." After a while of driving while cussing and moaning, it finally hit me what was a foot.

It was not Entune "Gremlins" taking up residence as part of the Map Database Update install. It was not the Toyota Dealer's Tech-Mechanics doing it to me again as they have in the past. It was the Tech who installed the Map Database changing and putzing with the "Optimal" positioning and settings of the HVAC dash air vents.

Tout de suite, I readjusted the air vent louvre direction to achieve my previous, original pre-service "Optimal" positioning, the Nav Lady loved me again, my Bride was happily kept cool and comfy, and all was right in the world. :cool: