1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-Technical Owner Requesting Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AliQS, May 19, 2013.

1. AliQS

AliQS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope I am posting in the right place. This forum is huge and I am technically challenged, unlike many of the posters I've seen here who sound like they could build a Prius!

However, I believe I have a problem with my Prius and I want to ask for assistance before calling Toyota. I have a 2006 Prius III with 129K miles on it (purchased used at 60K - we've had no problems with the car during our ownership). Over the last few days, I notice the following when I start driving when the car is cold:

-->When accelerating from a stop the mpg is in the single digits, whereas always in the past it would start in the teens and work it's way up as my speed increased.
    -->When coasting, the mpg shows between 60 and 85 (always used to show 99.9).
    -->There are fewer blue battery bars on the display.

As the car warms up, the mpg behavior also gets better and the blue battery bars increase.

I am pretty sure what the answer is going to be - my hybrid battery. But, I would appreciate any information I can get on what to expect. I DID search this forum for 'battery' and got 10 pages, with no posts that seemed to apply to this situation.

TIA,

Ali

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    First thing to check is the 12 volt battery, if you have the owners manual, there are directions on how to do that. If you are lucky that will be your problem.

JMD, kenoarto and AliQS like this.
  3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree, and at 129k the hybrid should be good, you are up for spark plugs and drive train fluids, if the hybrid battery is failing, a rebuilt will slide right in, a read of the obd2 port is in order, a test of the 12v also

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to Prius Chat!

First and foremost. Check the 12 volt battery. Take a look at the following link. Run the test after the Prius has set overnight. Please post all three (3) values.

Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

If you do that, we can tell if your 12 volt is failing. A weak and or dying 12 volt can cause all sorts of problems.

Concerning the traction battery. Until the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, there is nothing that can be done and should not be worried about.

So with that said, check the 12 volt battery first.

Ron

Rae Vynn, JMD and kenoarto like this.
  5. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When was the last time you checked your tire pressure? I've seen customers go over a year without checking.

Had a customer with the same symptoms. Tire pressure was 25psi at each tire. Raised the tire pressure and her car went back to normal.

6. AliQS

AliQS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you all so much for your posts. We will test the 12V - just got new tires, so pretty sure the pressure is good. I will post the results.

Thank you!

7. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    New tires doesn't mean proper pressure was put in ;)

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New tires mean they inflated it to door placard psi. Way to low for good gas mileage.

What kind of tires did you buy? Inflate them to 44 front and 40 rear and see if you can stand how hard it goes over bumps.

Then:

Best way to check if your Prius is having mpg problems is find a nice flat highway. No hills. Then with the car warmed up set the cruise control to 55 and then don't touch the brake or gas. Push the reset button on the consumption meter to zero out mpg. Drive 3-5 miles and the consumption meter should read at least 52 mpg.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are assuming they are good, but this is not something that can be assumed. Always check. Get your own tire pressure gauge if you don't already have one.

Some shops are good about setting pressure, but some are very sloppy. And I have had mounting problems that resulted in serious leaks around rim beads on new tires. It was fixable, but it was up to me to discover the leak.

kenoarto likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What we notice in winter the car heat is on which makes the engine run and we are always green on the HV battery bars. Today, now we are running A/C more and this drains the HV battery so now we have more purple bars and blue bars and the green bars are harder to come by.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All the above give sound advice, but having had new tyres fitted could you please check the pressures as above "for a reasonable ride I suggest 38psi front 36psi rear but you can go higher than this if your happy with the harder ride.

Next new tyres do not roll as easily as tyres that have been run for a couple of thousand miles, so this will make the drive system work harder, and may produce the effects you are getting.

Finally can you let us know what new tyres have been fitted, make, type, size, and as much other information off the side of the tyres.

All this information will help us help you.

John (Britprius)

12. AliQS

AliQS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ron et al,

Did the battery test and here are the 3 values (in red):

1--> 12.8 Press “Vehicle Signal Check” - the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded battery)
    2--> 11.8 Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere)
    3--> 13.9 Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than 13.6V or more than 14.4 there may be a problem with the charging circuit).

We'll try it again tomorrow morning and also take the tire pressure, and try the mpg test on the straight highway.
    Thank you everyone for your input and assistance!
    Ali

13. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Please do battery test and tire pressure in the morning when car hasn't been used for several hours.

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Ali,

Thanks for running the test. A couple of questions for you. Did you run the test after the Prius had sat overnight without being driven? Also, on the second part of the test (Ign On) you report a voltage below 12.0 volts. Did you have any excessive loads running ie: headlights, a/c fan blowing, etc?

Also, when you check the air pressure in your tires you should check them when they are cold. Again, let the Prius sit overnight. There are quite a few odd's and ends that can cause the problem you are looking at. The battery and the tires are usually the culprits, but there are a couple of other things that are easily fixed and often overlooked.

Ron

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    11.8 under load. Yep its time for replacement for sure. Soon it will throw up a quick red exclamation point upon start up
    which means HELP! I'm getting ready to leave you stranded.

How many times in that battery's life have you had to jump start it?

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not so fast. I think you are judging by the traditional non-hybrid scale, but my Prii have tended to run lower voltage without problems. The low batteries that caused problems for others have been considerably lower than that.

Wait until we get the cold morning reading.

richard schumacher and koolingit like this.
  17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  18. AliQS

AliQS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello, all. More results:

-->Did the 55 mph flat road test, average was 51.5 mpg.
    -->Never have had to jump start the battery
    -->Unfortunately didn't have time to do tire pressure this am before work.
    -->Did the battery test a second time. The 1st results, and these, were both done 1st thing in the morning, and neither test had excessive load like lights/radio/air on 2nd step. Here are the 3 values (in red) this time:

1--> 12.2 Press “Vehicle Signal Check” - the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded battery)
    2--> 11.8 Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere)
    3--> 14.4 Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than 13.6V or more than 14.4 there may be a problem with the charging circuit).

Thanks again for your help.

JMD likes this.
  19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I suspected, your battery is getting weak. However, that is only part of the big picture. Check the air pressure and let us know what they read.

There is a survey you can fill out if you want to, however for now lets focus on the two items (battery and tires).

Here is the link to the survey. If you were to fill it out, that will give us more information to work with. FWIW, your 12 volt is definitely weak and probably will have to be replaced soon. Since you are in FL, you should be OK till winter, but it might go bad then. You really don't want to be in a situation where you have to jump start a Prius. One wrong move, and thousands of dollars of damage if you jump a Prius the wrong way. There is only one way and one shot. If you do it wrong, there is no easy and cheap fix to it.

Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat

Anyway, let us know what the tire pressures are and fill out the survey if you have the time.

Ron

JMD likes this.
  20. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It does sound like you need a new 12 volt battery. Your new tires will add to the rolling resistance even if the pressures are correct so you may see an mpg impact. Did you get any brake work done when the tires were replaced?