1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Northern English Humour - Do Americans 'Get It'?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Aug 24, 2011.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Spunk has two meanings here (if not more.) It mean what you said it means to Americans. But it also has the same slang meaning here as it does there.

As for how Coka Cola made that mistake, who knows?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Again....Two peoples seperated by a common language...;)

3. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I lived in gloucestershire for four years, ever since then I have enjoyed british humor and movies more now that I "get it".

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While people will quote Python sketches, the idea of the Four Yorkshiremen is copied.

Python were hit and miss, but had enough hits to make it worth it. And it led to Terry Gilliam directing movies.

To me, if there's anything that separates British and American comedy, it's pace.

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ I must have gotten lucky.

BTW, the orange cat in the video looks like my avatar cat - Spencer.

8. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My neighborhood for one (there are a few of my neighbors that let their cats stay outdoors...and I think I've seen a couple with caps!).

As for Monty Python: I don't think their outcome was just Terry Gilliam movies. One of their contributions to all comedy was their style: which I heard from an interview with John Cleese (in which he summed up their comedy as taking an absurd subject and then following it to a logical conclusion). Probably one of the most popular English transcriptions to American markets is The Office...while the two are different, I've noticed that Steve Carell is a good actor and comedian. He's not like a Jim Carrey that gets caught in one typecast. With movies like Little Miss Sunshine (or Dan in Real Life), he's shown he doesn't just have one shtick...he can embody any baffoon and make them relatable.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you grow up in Wheaton / Glenmont MD? We used to do the same thing - record the shows' audio and listen to it at our leisure. I did most of the recording.

11. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I watch The Young Ones, The Dangerous Brothers, Jeeves and Wooster, Blackadder, Bottom, The League of Gentlemen, among others. Most I have on DVD. And I get every joke, thank you. Much innuendo, play on words, the wrong attitude for the situation... which reminds me, I enjoyed Monty Python for decades, and even have all the scripts for the shows, but I don't really like Fawlty Towers since it seems too cruel to me.

12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it has John Clease in it, I am all over it! I really loved Fawlty Towers, Python movies.
    I had occasion to hear John Clease speak a couple of years ago, what a great show that was. He just stood at a podium and proceeded to tell the story of his life. It really was quite interesting! At the end, you were allowed to ask questions, perfect!
    He did however manage to avoid the Ministry of Silly Walks, something about being a bit old to do it justice!

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I love P.G. Wodehouse. But I've never seen any of his stories made into movies or TV. He wrote more than just the Jeeves and Bertie stories, but those are his best.

14. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Monty Python's style of humor is fairly timeless, likely because it was written with a lot of wit. There will be some sketches that won't be as funny as they originally were because of changes in society, but many of them are just as funny now as when first saw them.

John Cleese apparently had the audience at Graham Chapman's funeral in stitches when he gave his eulogy.

It was painful to watch Fawlty Towers, because I always wanted Basil to come out on top, but he was such a horrid person, they ensured he never did (even when he came across the even more horrid Ms. Richards). Despite that, there are some great lines and just yesterday, while washing the dishes, I was quoting Manuel "I speak gooood Ennnnglish. I learrrrrrned it from a booooook".

15. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Goodness gracious me is VERY funny too (especially because it is.....INDIAN!)

Check Please!

Asian Top Gear
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6h0lkq-Sno&feature=related]Asian Top Gear - Goodness Gracious Me - BBC - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  16. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol yeah Goodness Gracious Me was a classic and very funny. They've gone on to do other shows since. The best clip that sticks in my mind was when they went out for an 'English' though not sure if that would be as funny your way. To many a teen it is almost customary to have an Indian curry at the end of a Friday evening out, the eating establishment refered to as an 'Indian'. It is then customary among the male teens to order the hottest curry available. Any how, that's the background, enjoy;

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... no, Long Island.... but I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition! :D:D:D

18. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very funny! I watched it with the fellow at work who introduced me to GGM. He hadn't seen the sketch before, and we had a good laugh with it. He did have me stop the video several times to explain to me some of the subtlies that I missed (the hand gestures, the Indian words, and some of the mannerisms, like how the girl ordering the curry is putting a "na" sound at the end of her sentences, which is the english equivalent of saying "like" or "OK" or "totally".

The line that tickles me the most is the We're ready to order....Mike! (sniggers). Just picking out a random white persons name and hoping for the best (in a mocking sort of way). Brilliant!