1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not all HID Bulbs are created equal

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by 2k1Toaster, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ElmoZarf

ElmoZarf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great article. Thanks.

To the forum of prius owners: I got the right OEM replacement bulb that looks exactly like the original OEM from the same manufacturer, but when I try and install it I can't seem to figure out what orientation to use. There are the notches that are supposed to line everything up, but for the life of me doing very small rotations and pushing in, they all seem to bind and rock. No orientation I try seems satisfyingly "correct". I just picked an orientation and put it together, but the bulb is able to move around a bit in the socket even with the wire retainer in place. The wire retainer itself was binding in its socket and got a bit bent too as I tried to get it free so it could swivel again in its socket. The light works, but the bulb seems to be able to touch the reflector cone when it vibrates because it isn't being held perfectly still and perfectly centered in the assembly.

Any ideas? I can't find a close up picture of the socket on the web so I don't know what orientation I'm shooting for with the bulb notches. Did you get a pleasing "snap in" feel with the notches providing alignment?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A poor fitting base is generally a sign of a cheap bulb. But before completely rushing to judgement, can you post a couple closeups of your bulb and the one it is replacing?

When the bulb is seated, it should have a little, but not much play. Then when you close the spring clamp over it and get the bendy bits into the guide slots there should be no play on the bulb at all. By bending the retainer, you have compromised it a bit, but unless you really bent it you should be OK.

I am advocate for taking the entire housing off of the car and installing the bulb with the clear advantage of being able to see and operate the entire back side. Remove the top bumper bolts and the two on the sides in the wheel well and the whole thing just pops up, out, and hangs down. Then you can access the 3 bolts that hold in each headlight housing and in about 10 seconds with a power drill the entire assembly is free from the car. Total time is under 5 minutes if you know what you're doing. That will save you a lot of blind fiddling.

3. skimb37

skimb37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i just bought some phillips bulbs from Amazon as the seller and they showed up in a plastic bags. and when i changed them both of my old bulbs i took out looked just like the ones in the first post picture with the brown part on the outside of the bulb . The ones i recieved has a green part on the outside. I think what bothers me mostly is the fact they were in plastic bags. any one else have this when they buy from Amazon as a direct seller

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Amazon isn't really a "direct seller". They buy the cheapest from their suppliers in bulk and then sell those directly from their warehouse. At least you can return them and try again.

5. skimb37

skimb37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i'm going to, thanks

6. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    @2k1Toaster ,

Thanks for this extremely helpful and informative post(s)! My 2006 lights decided to start acting up after the recall (of course) and Toyota doesn't want to replace them gratis as my recall notice never showed up (long, boring story). I'd like to try to swap them out myself, but my dealer was warning me against it as they said it was difficult to do. My left light is cutting out more and more and I don't want to risk damaging the wiring, but with the shorter days I have to drive at night and I find myself continuously turning the lights off/on to keep them both on.

Now that I know what bulbs to use thanks to you, could you recommend an installation guide here or elsewhere to see if I should attempt this myself?

Edit: tagged Toaster (thanks @Tideland Prius !)

#46 BellBoy, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to use the "@" feature to get toaster's attention, otherwise he might not see this as you didn't quote his message or tag his name with the "@" feature. You simply just add the @ sign in front of his name, like this: @2k1Toaster

BellBoy likes this.
  8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think non-moderators can tag people @2k1Toaster.

edit: Woah! It got enabled. I tried it long ago and was denied.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Attention grabbed! :)

The bulbs going in and out definitely sound like the end-of-life of the bulbs and they need to be replaced. You can do it yourself super simple.

Lucious Garage is the recommended Prius shop in CA bay area, and they have great youtube videos for people. Here is one on HID bulbs:

Now this is definitely possible, but if you haven't done it, I actually recommend the much harder route. Pop off the clips on the black bumper cover thing by the radiator and that whole piece just comes off in a couple seconds. Then you can pop the clips off the underlying plastic bumper piece. Then in the wheel wells there are 2 screws with bolt heads and phillips inserts. A power screw driver removes them super fast. With that done, you can pull up and out the bumper and it just comes out and hangs off of the bottom part of the car. Then you can access the 3 bolts that hold on the headlight assemblies themselves. Remove those 3 bolts and you can then literally pickup the headlight assembly with everything still wired. Rotate it towards you and you can see everything that's going on. Makes it much simpler to replace. The Lucious Garage video IMHO requires some knowledge of replacing bulbs since you are doing it blind.

Something to be very careful about is to not touch the glass part of the bulb at all. If you have some nice clean (or new!) gloves, it might be a good idea to wear those.

WilDavis likes this.
  11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …nice post, and I'll just add that in the event of accidental contact of your fingers with the glass part of the bulb, any fingerprints may be easily removed using rubbing alcohol (ethanol/isopropyl-alcohol/alcohol-wipes), always recommended when handling any halogen lamp bulb. hope this helps - Wil

Dr_DLH likes this.
  12. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    @2k1Toaster,

Got both bulbs swapped out. It was a learning experience to say the least. After checking out a bunch of videos that I could find online I went out and bought two Philips 42406 bulbs from Pep Boys (more like Rape Boys). $100/bulb made my spit thick. ;)

Tried the quick way and since I couldn't get the leverage to get the back cover off, I went with popping each side of the bumper and pulling out the light. After seeing some videos of people putting the light into the end cap and loading the whole thing in at once was pretty stupid. I wish I had found a resource that I found later, sooner. That showed just putting the bulb in, setting the spring clips and ending with the end cap. The problem in the first one was that either I did it or it was like this, but the external part of the electrode casing has a crack in it. I swallowed hard and completed the install and everything worked ok. I just don't know if that damage will shorten the life of the bulb.

Of course as I did each side, when I put everything back together and tested the headlight--the parking light bulb would go out. A couple of taps on the driver's side and it came back on. The passenger side didn't. I wound up picking up a two pack of bulbs at the parts store for about $5. Without taking anything apart again I was able to squeeze my hand in to swap out that bulb and while it was harder to get the bulb back in, it did the trick.

#52 BellBoy, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  13. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I spent a lot of time trying to get my 2011 projector lights to work at night, I purchased several different sets if bulbs and nothing seems to be brighter than the stock oem bulbs. I had the HID with the separate ballasts installed and for the life of me they didn't work that well. For some reason I hated the projector lights until I read a thread on here about modifying a OSRAM H9 bulb to fit the H11 socket. I purchased a set and modified the bulb to fit, man, I can see again at night!! Those worked perfect and better than the oem ones and all the xenon and HID bulbs I purchased in the past. Don't get me wrong, the xenon and HID work awesome in my 2005 Prius but the projector housing it didn't.

14. JayLn

JayLn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I really appreciate the well explained time you spent to made the post, but I just want to share my HiD bulb that I bought since 2008 on my bnew that time hinda civic 2 door and they are still on my civic and still working fine, back then I think I bought it around $75 with the ballas included, I check from the same seller I bought it they are now very cheap, IMO I dont think they differ that much unless you have the expensive one aide by side because my cousin acura tl which is originally come with HID has almost the same output side by side but mine is alittle cooler slightly bluish his is slightly yellowish but from the beginning that I installed mine on my civic I already have the issue that sometimes I need to turn off and on to fire the left side headlight and on my cousins acura tl it is always both on, so what I did was a place a relay and it that fixed the issue. So if now you ask me should I buy the $300 vs $15, I would say $15 all day because I can buy 20pcs ebay bulb vs 1pc. just saying.

15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And when the bulb bubbles your chrome in the projector or reflector? That's a couple hundred dollars...

16. JayLn

JayLn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Unfortunately after 7 years the is no issues.

17. qval

qval Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also got some from xenon corp, the official reseller is at amazon. Before I spend half an hour to an hour installing these bulbs can I get a confirmation that they are legitimate Phillips bulbs ? They seem to be alright, but the box is different than I expected based on the Philips authenticity website. Thanks @2k1Toaster !
    There isn't a QR code on the box, and the box references the "included instructions," but inside the box, there's nothing but the bulb. What's going on??

Counterfeit Philips Xenon HID Bulbs and Lights | Consumer Alert
    Welcome to Philips product authenticity
    !
    IMG_20150726_171248487.jpg IMG_20150726_171154103.jpg

#57 qval, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    cwerdna likes this.
  18. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From the one bulb shot, it is hard to tell. It looks real. Can you take some photos like the first thread that show the bulb in more detail, macro on the salts if you can? The lead going into the top of the bulb, the base of the bulb how it is riveted together, that sort of thing.

For bulbs there are a few sources you will always get real ones from like The Retrofit Source. A place like Amazon, it can be anything and therefore more suspicious. Even going on price alone isn't good enough because some of the criminals charge real prices for the fakes now since it is just extra money for them!

qval likes this.
  19. qval

qval Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Toaster, thanks for the reply, Here is DSC04792.JPG my macro attempt at capturing the salts. It looks like tannish brown condensate in the salt chamber. The electrode leaving the glass looks like pictures you posted DSC04796.JPG , but it's maybe not totally straight? the spot welds on the bottom look good in my book.

There's a slight zigzaggin on the bottom electrode in the glass, but I can't quite capture that.

Why did I receive a box without the COA sticker, and without something protecting the bulb inside its box (it was shipped loose inside the inch by inch by 3 inch box, without something to hold it immobile, like they do in CFL or LED lightbulb boxes.)?

20. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would say you either have a good counterfeit or a poor genuine bulb. Both do happen :)

The top being slanted like that is IMHO the biggest giveaway on the bulb itself. During the process it is very easy for these to become slanted. Generally Phillips will block these from being sold. A counterfeiter with less stringent quality control will let it slide. Also a possibility is what happens with most electronics is that when a bulb genuinely fails real Phillips testing, it goes in a bin to be destroyed. Some unscrupulous employees take and sell them to their families in who-knows-where who sell it as a genuine. Happens all the time in the consumer electronics market, perhaps it has caught up with bulbs considering the margins are so high and almost every car uses them now.

As for bulb protection I did waaaaaaay back in the day of blank white boxes get a bulb with no protection around the glass, it was just held in by this rather elaborate cardboard maze thing on the base of the bulb. The bulb did arrive intact and work for a reasonable time, but it never felt right. I have also had genuine bulbs arrive with a custom foam piece that goes over the bulb and has a cutout for the filament wire. I have seen fakes that have this foam piece but usually do not have the filament cutout, so when it is wrapped over the bulb you see lots of air gap.

My spidey senses say this is a bulb that if you can return, you should.

qval likes this.