1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not sure how but the top of my engine(mostly the battery/electric motor) is dirty. I have about 20,

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tgpii, Nov 9, 2013.

1. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure how but the top of my engine(mostly the battery/electric motor) is dirty. I have about 20,000 mi on my Prius C. How can I clean that without messing the electronics etc in the engine?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you should see mine! i even have pebbles sitting atop my engine. since i have under covers i can only guess it is coming through the grill.
    i want to wash but worried about water in the componets. i just brush it off. no problems to date.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brush it off with an old paint brush? You can also use a shop vac on blow, to blow junk out of the corners. (or my favourite, a leaf blower ;)) One of those cat tail type duster wands is good too.

I'd avoid spraying it with any sort of liquids, just my 2 cents.

Assuming it's similar to a regular Prius, you can also pull off the ornamental engine cover, clean behind that.

4. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    THANKS.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Low pressure water from the garden hose will hurt nothing. I've done it twice a year since new. What do you think happens in there when it rains. Just don't go to the self serve car wash and blast every nook and cranny with high pressure and you will be fine.

tgpii likes this.
  6. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I usually wipe my engine bay and accessories clean every car wash or every other. That way there is never any major buildup / gunk that will have to be dealt with later on. Minor maintenance goes a long way.

type17volkswagen likes this.
  7. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here's mine after 10K miles. Just wipe it down every once in awhile (every other car wash) and it will still be like new. Definitely helps when you sell the car private party down the road.

I've had cars at 200k that look showroom clean in the engine bay. I've got california weather to thank for that too.

Attached Files: