1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now,, what is this about???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lester williams, Sep 8, 2014.

1. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK,, here's the deal----- I helped my grand daughter get a really nice 2006 Prius this week-end. The car was remarkably clean, inside and out. Girlfriend Elsie [ member here ] test drove it as she has had a 2005 and a 2008 driven over 150,000 total between them-- she is familiar. She said, '' It is sound, drives remarkably well, and is in great shape''. My grand daughter came over to Meridian, Ms from Monroe, La. and bought it Saturday, got 51.9 mpg on trip home. [ approx. 250 miles ] Sunday after Church--- the car would not go into ''ready'' and all sorts of ''lights'' on across the dash. They finally called a tow service and carried it [ no towing ] to Ruston, La to the dealer. I talked to them today,, he said,, ''We got it running, it had all sorts of codes we cleared and now all are clear, advised her to take it back as it had a ''transaxle code'', and they are $5,000, and other problems''

Now,, I know the previous owner was an older man, the car was in immaculate shape, and was not ''abused''. I asked the service manager, '' What sort of transaxle code''--- ''I don't know'',,,,,, ''what were the other codes''???? ''I don't know'',,,,,,, ''Is it now drivable'',,, '' yes, but if she starts home in it,, a code might throw and she will be beside the road'',,, What caused this problem yesterday''?,,,,'' I don't know, it coded and stopped'',,,,,, WTH????

I had sort of figured from reading threads here that the 12v battery has quit upon arriving back in La., he said it had recently been changed------ I asked, ''Is it the correct one for a Prius, as the wrong battery in a Corvette will work off and on, and cause mucho problems'',,,, ''It fits in there, I suppose it is correct, it fits. .''

So, unless Papaw can come up with some insight-- she will trailer it back to Ms tomorrow to return to the seller, who has readily agreed to not ''shaft'' a young girl. Something is not adding up--- I seriously doubt the ''transaxle is fixing to quit, $5,000'' and the car is not safe to drive home because it ''throwed some codes'' and have the VIN # but do not know how to look and see if Toyota has any service results to this car. It did have a squeaky clean ''Auto Check'',, but I could not find any service records there. What is the members thoughts on this situation???

2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Google Toyota Owners.com and sign in and become a member. After you do that put the VIN number in for that car and you will be able to see all service work that has been performed by Toyota dealers on the car.

USMC1968 likes this.
  3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hopefully the dealer was knowledgeable enough to check the inverter coolant pump to make sure it was working. If it's not working, there will be a number of codes that are set, which can be cleared again after things have cooled off. That pump was a dealer recall item, so it ought to show up in the Toyota records.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Get the codes from the mechanic. If they did not record them them get your money back from the mechanic
    Check the 12v health
    Buy code reader. (smartphone + app) is probably simplest for grandaughter
    Ask seller if any similar problems

6. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I suppose I left off pertinent info-- the car has 103,000 miles on it, runs like a top, no squeaks or rattles. really clean for a 2006. I was wondering if a ''wrong'' battery could cause electrical gremlins-- they sure will in a Corvette, of which I have had three over the years. The dealer is in Ruston, La.,, I am in central Ms, so I was not able to gather much insight into this. He did not know what the transaxle code ''was'',, just sure it was fixing to crap the bed.........Scared a post graduate, poor college student.....

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most likely she left the door open, dome light on, something. A long multi-hour trip by a girl means that the dome light was turned on at somepoint and most likely not turned back to door or off. It sounds like a 12v problem. How long ago the 12v was replaced means diddly squat. I can buy a new battery discharge it the same day I buy it and destroy it. Just because it is less than a day old, doesn't mean it is working. Check the battery in the morning after it presumably hasn't been driven in a while with a voltmeter and the car off. Then again with the car in accessory mode, headlights on and rear defrost on. Then again with the car in READY.

You should read the resting aux battery voltage, the under load voltage, and the inverter output voltage (like alternator output).

The "wrong" battery in the Prius won't cause harm other than perhaps not getting a venting battery and installing that wrong since the battery is in the passenger compartment. They are small batteries. Think motorcycle or lawn-mower style. They go dead easily if abused or used like a standard big beefy cranking battery.

As to the dealer, without codes, it didn't happen. It sounds like they are just ragging on a great car and wanting to get a big payout in repairs for nothing. Any major problem has a code associated with it. If they don't have the codes, they shouldn't even be touching the car.

usnavystgc likes this.
  8. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just joined the ''Toyota Owners ''forum,, found great service records. But--- it was in on 5-31-14 to ''repair sublets''??? and another same complaint of '' won't start, both batteries just replaced'' and ''repair sublets''... what in the dickens is ''repair sublets''??--------It has been immaculately serviced all along--- as I had suspected..

9. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Les the dealer of record should be listed by those entries on Toyota.com. I
    suggest you call them in the morning for more details. What a joke of a dealership that can't or won't provide codes. And they wonder why they get the wrap that they do.

10. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That means they took the vehicle somewhere else for work to be done. Maybe they didn't have the batteries there?

11. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Daughter at dealer,, going to trailer it back to Ms and return it. She said the goobers told her the code was ''P0AA6''---- anyone know what that might be???

12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the code coming back consistently? I would not depart with this car because of that. This is likely a dead/weak 12V battery or its connections. If your car has a problem, the code will be consistently there. I hate to see you lose out on a good deal because of a one time incident. Chances are, you won't have that problem again.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  14. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is like a nightmare unfolding before my eyes that I can't stop. I'm of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with this car. So it flagged a P0AA6, one time. That hardly points to a failed tranny. A failed tranny will consistently flag the code after resetting them. The key to these codes is consistency (esp if you have 12V power problems). This car sounds like a great, well maintained car (the proverbial old man's car that was dealer maintained). What would cause these tranny problems so early in its life? The Gen II tranny is built very solid and has an excellent reliability record.

This dealer sounds like a clown to me.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You make a good point that real problems will recur, but the converse is true as well: true problems can be intermittent.
    Sounds to me like OP has to decide now whether to return the car. Personally, I would not gamble here. This is true 10 times over if the traction battery was recently replaced*.

*I say this because it makes me think that either the traction battery repair was poorly done, or was a misdiagnosis.

16. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If there were intermittent problems, they would be reflected in the maintenance data on the Toyota owners website. If the traction battery was recently replaced, that's all the more bonus for this car. IMO, the gamble is trying to find another Prius this well maintained.

17. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The car is now on it's way back to dealer--- who happens to be a long-time friend of G/F's children/family, and a very honorable man. I am not as scared of this documented dealer serviced car as they are--- and do not have any of the sub P0AA6 codes. Googling this shows that it could be the A/C system electronics as well. I have a strong notion to offer the dealer what he has in it,, take it off his hands, so he will not have to fool with it. It is my understanding that there is a fine Prius tech at the Tuscaloosa, Al dealer,, maybe take it to him......There is some fault current somewhere-- not necessarily in transaxle,,, who knows...

18. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is it displaying any codes right now????

19. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He cleared all the codes in Ruston, La at the dealer there. The car cranked right up, drove on a trailer and off again today at seller in Ms. Apparently, this first started in May 2014, then again in July. Both times complaint was, ''won't crank'', and ''Toyota Owner's.com'' listed ''repair sublets''-- all I know. There obviously is some sporatic stray fault current from someplace.... From searching on the web, it does not have to be the transaxle going out for the P0AA6 code,, that code is tied into other things...

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That points even more to a $185 fix of replacing the 12v battery and not letting it die. "Won't crank" in the Prius means the 12v is beyond dead. No jumping or resuscitation is a true fix, only replacement. I have a dying 12v in my 2006 with a resting voltage in the 10.5v range meaning one cell is shorted. I leave it unattended for a week or more with the smart key system on and it still works. Lowest I have seen it get with a true Fluke DMM is 9v and the Prius still starts right up. This is because it only flips a couple relays in the back after priming the brake pump. If the battery can't do that, then it is beyond dead and needs to be replaced. So "won't crank" directly means dead 12v. The "cranking" of the motor is done by MG1 through the HV battery pack. And that would READY the car and then have a problem. Not just be dead out of the gate.

Sounds like you are dealing with a lot of incompetence.