1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NY State Residents, don't forget about the 50% EVSE tax credit

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Electric Charge, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you purchased a charging station in 2013, you qualify for a 50% tax credit from New York State (so 80% if you add the federal tax credit for EVSEs).

TurboTax didn't know how to process this until I called, which makes me believe not too many people are aware of this benefit.

A list of incentives which apply to NY residents can be found here.

Obviously, I encourage non-NY residents to check with their own state for any additional EV incentives, as you can't count on software/services locating it for you.

ftl likes this.
  2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Grr. It's too bad I couldn't verify the existence of this credit earlier - I probably would have spent the money to install a proper EVSE if I was sure it existed.

Hopefully it will be extended into 2014 - it could really help offset the cost of my father's install for his Tesla he has on order!

3. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've posted about it a couple of times :( I posted about it again as TurboTax couldn't locate this credit without placing a phone call.

I recommend you check out ChargeNY once in a while, as I have been trying to bring any EV related news in NY to NY EV drivers.

4. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I knew that it was potentially there - and even registered on your site and posted in the thread to keep abreast of it, but it never felt like I found any really concrete information when I last looked - the only references I could really find to it anywhere were back to your site.

For me it's no big deal - I don't really need a proper EVSE for my PiP - and even with the tax credit there would be considerable expense for me as I'd have to upgrade my electric service at my house at the same time - so I'm not 100% I would have done it. If they extend it, I will certainly consider it though and I could probably talk my workplace into installing one or more with a total of 80% subsidy. My dad would probably install a better charger as well.

5. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's extended until 2017, and I posted the link/sources in the incentive record.

drash likes this.
  6. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Awesome! Thanks!

Passing it on to my father.