1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Observations After Shopping Camry & Avalon Hybrids

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by car compulsive, May 16, 2014.

1. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I made the jump from the Prius to an Accord EX, 4 cyl CVT yesterday. I intended to choose between a Camry Hybrid SE and Accord Sport. (Accord hybrid was ruled out due to tiny trunk, no spare tire, and new hybrid system. Plus, some owners are seeing highway miles in the upper 30s with the 4 cyl / CVT Accord.) The final decision was between the Accord EX and Avalon hybrid XLE Premium. Observations:

- Camry hybrid SE had OK fabric / pleather seats. I felt the rough ride quality would be hated by my wife.

- Camry hybrid LE and XLE had horrible feeling cloth interiors. Ride quality and power were good. Trunk space was good plus had a small pass-through.

- Camry hybrid XLE with leather was OK, but the hard plastic center console and switch area on the armrest felt really cheap. The lower door cards were all plastic and the door pocket felt flimsy. I generally felt the interior was lacking compared to the Accord. I also preferred the Accord exterior styling.

- Avalon Hybrid had a very comfy interior - loved the seats even though the leather wasn't cooled, but it still had lots of flimsy parts like door pocket, and hard headliner. I also felt the ride quality was a bit harsher than the Camry hybrid XLE. I disliked the new Avalon styling even more than the Camry. It was also about 10K more than an Accord EX.

The final decision came down to the Accord EX CVT v. Avalon hybrid XLE premium. After trade-in and allocating a small amount of money to pay off my Ridgeline, the monthly payment was the same with the Accord at .9% for 36 months and the Avalon at 0% for 60 months. I felt the Accord EX (silver/gray BTW) best met my needs, preferences, and overall cost.

2. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    What about the Fusion Hybrid/C-Max Hybrid?

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Enjoy the car, but I hope you do a lot of highway driving. I went the other way, preferring the combo of real world gas mileage and comfort. Did I waste money vs the Accord, probably, but I'm in my seventies so this is probably my last new car, finally time to splurge.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we'll miss you cc, all the best!(y)

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, I truly cannot imagine anyone having such negative impressions of the Camry Hybrid LE or XLE or the Avalon (any version). I must be missing something, is the Accords interior materials that much better? Do they use a different kind of plastic? The Avalon is twice the vehicle as any Accord and city mpg will bear that out. I agree, hwy miles in the upper 30's in the Accord, I can see that but city mpg in the 20's. My TCH LE easily nets 40+ mpg's in the city and the Avalon would likely net similar results (but in luxury). I'm guessing (I haven't researched it) that both TCH and Avalon Hybrid have more torque, more hp and faster 0-60 times than the Accord EX. I can't imagine the Accord driving any smoother or quieter than the Camry or the Avalon.

hybridbear likes this.
  6. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not saying the Accord was smoother or quieter than the Hycam XLE or Avalon, but I felt it was comparable and handled better without being harsh. I was targeting a cloth interior and felt both of the Honda interiors, Sport and EX, were superior to the Hycam cloth. (I was willing to make an exception to the cloth rule given the Avalon's soft and comfy leather seats.)

My goal was a non-premium (under $30K) midsize sedan from Honda or Toyota with good MPGs that I could live with for the next 10 years years. (Yeah, like I'm really gonna keep a car that long.)

Oh, and I didn't notice whether the Hycam steering wheel was offset or not.

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Camry hybrid with Clazzio leather seat covers? ;)

SCH-I535

8. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My son in law has a new Accord EX, I have the Avalon, to my old ears the interior noise levels were far far different, but if you always play the sound system loud, the EX would seem ok.

usnavystgc likes this.
  9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My thinking is the same as your's. I'm thinking about a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring. What type of Avalon did you get? Just curious and how are you liking it? I'm in my 70's as well and if I buy one it will be the same reason you bought your's.

10. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Mine is a 2013, which I bought in December. It is also an Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring, I wanted to splurge on the Limited, but I couldn't see the added value and as it was, this car cost more than my first house.

11. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    How many mpg are you getting on your Avalon?

12. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Doesn't my Fuelly tag show on my post?

13. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes it does. Just checking. I figured it would be higher than 36.1.

14. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How does one get ones Fuelly tag to post as I see many do here?

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  16. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I saw that but have been unable to find here what one uses to link it - a signature feature or the bbcode or html etc - got stuck at that part - thx.

17. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In fairness to the car, I'm sure the MPG would be better if I overinflated the tires, used pulse and glide and slowed down, but I choose not to do any of the above, still get a better combined average mpg than almost every car on the road Prii excepted.

18. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes you do. A neighbor of mine has a Buick Lucerne. She said she gets 18 MPG in town. You get twice that amount without trying. I would like to have the exact same car as you have and I can afford it but so far I have been to one Toyota dealer and they would only give me $13,000 trade in for my 2011 Prius Two that is in showroom condition. That is almost giving it away and rather than do that I'll drive it until the wheels falls off it. Disgusting trying to trade cars.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hover on your user name at the top, and a drop down menu appears. There is a link for signature there.

20. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was offered 12k for my 2011 Prius 2, sold it to a private party for 14k, it was a good car but I wanted comfort!