1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Observations on Fuel Filler Door & Charging Port Lid

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Unplugged, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Unplugged

Unplugged Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Two observations:

1. I've seen some discussion here about the PiP's Charging Port Lid location on the right rear flank. Our '99 Subaru Forester had its fuel filler door on the right too (as do all the current Subies). It enabled us to choose the shorter line at the gas station (as most drivers prefer not having to stretch the hose around or over the car). I suppose it's also a bit safer if one runs out of gas and needs to use a gas can while on the shoulder of a highway - away from speeding traffic. We just chalked it up to being one of those quirky Subie things, like the frameless windows they used to have. Not relevant to charging the PiP's battery (unless charging stations ever become common alongside highways, I guess).

2. Is anyone else bothered by the fact that - while the Fuel Filler Door must be opened using the fuel-filler-door switch inside the car - the Charging Port Lid has no such locking mechanism and can be opened by any curious or malicious knucklehead who happens to notice it? It just seems vulnerable and I don't understand why Toyota didn't try to deter tampering by using a similar locking switch. Anyone have an explanation for this?

2. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's isolated so they can't really do anything to it besides damage it physically. I doubt anyone
    would really wanna mess it ? It carries the same reaction as a wall plug IMO, even though
    it's not powered while the care isn't plugged in. Not to much they can do to it.

3. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 2013 Chevy Volt charge door is activated by a switch inside. I read there have been several owners who had problems opening the door.

I just read the 2014 will have the same type of door opening as the Prius. There must be a good reason Chevrolet is doing this.

4. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    As the vehicle is marketed as an EV vehicle, not being able to plug in due to a malfunctioning
    power port would be a big drawback :LOL: A simple manual door is the best. Even an interior
    manual release is better then an electronic type, IMO :cool: If it is an electronic door, it should
    have a manual secondary release that's easy to access. My Energi has an electronic door, but
    also has a backup manual release with easy access. The K.I.S.S. method is usually the best (y)

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The only problem I've ever had with the charging port door was when a gas jockey was going to try and fill the car there. I had to get out of the car and explain to him what it was and then point to the gas filler door that was popped open.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like having the fuel door on the left. that way everyone can stay to the right of the gas pumps. as for the charger door, i'm not chuffed about it, until i hear about actual vandalism.:eek:

7. n5160u

n5160u Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Most of the owners here may be too young to remember this:
    Cars in North America and those sourced in Europe other than the UK have their fuel fillers on the curb side opposite the driver to add an additional level of protection from damage from being"side-swiped"
    This convention was around long before there were any "sealed" fuel tanks or vapor recovery systems required.
    In addition, vehicles with single exhaust systems also generally had the muffler located on the side opposite the fuel filler to help keep any spilled fuel away from any hot exhaust components.
    Most Asian vehicles like these and vehicles from the UK follow the same engineering convention except the positions are reversed because their vehicles are "right-hand drive" and the curb side is opposite what is found in North America or most of Europe.
    The primary exception to this rule regarding Asian vehicles is related to those vehicles designed for and mainly sold in North America. You can easily identify these vehicles because they are far wider that the average vehicle built for the Japanese Domestic Market. They are commonly referred to here as "Captive Imports" because they are usually built in North America for sale only in this market and may be totally different from vehicles with the same model name that are sold primarly in Europe or Asia.

hlunde and Tracksyde like this.
  8. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Having the charger door on that side is going to be a real PITA for us. The EVSE won't reach unless the car is backed into the space, which isn't easy in our location...

9. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I do share the worries of the OP. I wish the lid was lockable.
    Living in apartments building. While my parking space is privet, it is open and very close to the street.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am having trouble envisioning the pump configuration. Here in California, gasoline stations typically have have pumps on both sides of one or more islands, so when you pull in, you chose a pump on the same side as your fuel filler. The hoses typically won't even reach across the car even if you wanted to; this is probably due to the vapor recovery design.

11. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)When I purchased my Level 2 charger, I thought I picked a good location. I goofed. I started backing in which solved my problem. That was a accident waiting to happen. I then purchased another Leviton charge cable off Amazon for $99. It was 25 feet and used 14 gauge wire instead of the 10 gauge on the original. More flexible and easier to use. On the day I was going to change it, I decided to relocate the Level 2 charger to a ideal location. That required running a new dedicated 240v line from the circuit breaker to the new location. A lot of work, but worth it. Didn't need the new charge cable and returned it. Either live with what you have, and make it work, or choose a location that's hassle free, if possible. I also, relocated my DirecTV dish, to a undisclosed, secret location, but that's another story.

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If I can ever clean out the garage, I would be able to pull the car in and charge it. For now, I back into the driveway, too.

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  13. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm really happy the PIP has the charge port where it does as I park on the street in front of my carport fairly regularly. This position still allows me to charge with an extension cord. In the driveway or garage I can always pull in the way that puts the port in the most convenient location. I can't do that legally on the street.

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fuel fillers lock to prevent siphoning.

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  15. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree...would have been annoying to need to click a button every time you want to charge up.

16. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A

Local lock would be fine for me. Once vandalized it can cost a lot.

17. Bill Collins

Bill Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wish the gas filler was on the passenger side and the EVSE on the drivers side ..then I wouldn't have to be backing into my driveway when I want to charge up

18. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Plenty of options to make charging easier. Easiest would be a high quality, proper gauge extension cord. Better, would be to extend the wiring of the closest electrical outlet.

19. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just no way to siphon those darn electrons.

20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just get an extension cord. I've used one for months now, no issue.