1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd Side Effects From Disabling Nuisance Beeps.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by kenmce, May 2, 2014.

1. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Took the car to the dealer, said "just turn off the beeps, all of them." The rep. said come back in an hour. Most of the beeps are off now, but I have an odd pair of problems.

1.) The rear hatch no longer beeps when open, but it also has no longer has the SKS function.

2.) The front seat belts no longer beep, but the front dome light no longer has an on-when-door-is-open function.

3) I'm waiting to see what bizarre side effects come from the single reverse beep.

The rep. says these are side effects from killing the beeps, that the nuisance beeps are tied to these two functions and that the only way to restore them is to bring back the *&&! beeps. He claims that the front beeps & dome light are triggered by a sensor inside the door that is part of the door latch, that when this sensor is disabled all its functions stop. I think he said it's the same problem with the rear hatch and its SKS.

Opinions?

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    not true/
    I have both seat belts disabled & my interior light works as good as before/
    the rear hatch I don't know, but the one-beep reverse thing had no side effects at all on my car//

3. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It sounds like they disconnected a sensor or two instead of 'programming' the computer to behave as it should.

TheeWood likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oy vay!:mad:

5. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Yikes...this is what I'm scared of. Messing around with something and then other things pop up with the Prius..

Hope you get some good answers here.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Check the dome light switch. It's too easy to inadvertently press a button or slide a switch.

TheeWood likes this.
  7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From what I gather on Priuschat. The single reverse beep and the seatbelt reminder beeps don't have any side effects. Those are the only beeps anyone on here considers disabling. I suggest you disconnect the battery to return to default and then have the dealer perform those two modifications only.

8. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    are you sure that's gonna reset EVERYTHING?
    I had my battery once disconnected & nothing got reset/

BION
    StarCaller

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Same here. It isn't a given that disconnecting the battery will reset everything.

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I am not sure. I am absolutely sure some things will be reset. No one except the dealer knows what the extent of the modifications are. Hopefully, disconnecting the battery will get everything the dealer modified. There is no way for me to be sure. I can only advise.

iPhone ?

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For sure, you'll lose your lifetime mpg, trip A/B history and the miles to empty will default back to 600 in the MFD.

12. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Thus my decision to go to the dealer rather than buy a Scangauge.

My first thought was that the dog had bumped the switch again (tall dog). I went through every position on the switches and checked that the bulbs worked, problem was the same on both sides of the car.

On a second Gen Prius the backup beep can be cancelled by the owner, but it returns from the dead if you lose 12 V power. I've heard that the power windows can wake back up a little groggy from power loss but will relearn their routine.

That was my understanding also. It's why I started this thread, to see if anything he told me was in any way correct. On a second gen I know there should be no effects because I had my car that way. These here new-fangled third gens are still a little mysterious to me though so I figured I'd ask.

I try to keep my expectations very low when I go to this dealer. I am however quite sure they would set it back just like it is now.

Try driving home from the next town with some ten footers sticking out the hatch :mad:

I haven't had it long enough to care. All those readings, the GPS, stereo presets and the phone book are still set to the last owner. Of course I am also listening to his satellite radio, and using his Onstar (or whatever Toyota calls it) so it evens out.

13. testriderchuck

testriderchuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely the BEST way to "disable" the seat belt beep is to get the SHORT seat belt extender. NOT the ones with the belt between buckle and tongue (unless you're plump). Plug it in and leave it there. Plug seat belt into extender as needed. VOILA! silence is golden so shut up and get rich! Until you hit reverse, open a back door with "engine running", hit the lock button on the fob with a door open or any of the other ways those other beeps can be activated.

If anyone could describe where the beeper is located, I'll be happy to disconnect mine. hopefully the inside noise dont come from the stereo speakers.

kenmce likes this.