1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odometer Accuracy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PatriciaRummel, Feb 19, 2007.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you changed tire size? How do you know the mile markers are accurate? Have you compared the odo to a GPS unit? Is this an American car? Apparantly cars sold in Europe and possibly the rest of the world follow the UN specs which allow more variance than cars sold in the USA.

For a first post I'm giving the benefit of a doubt.

2. thorn

thorn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I used a GPS before I changed my tires and the odometer and speedometer was right on. I changed tires (Michelin HydroEdge) a while back and noticed that the speedometer is off, it says 67mph when I'm going 65mph (GPS).

Are the HydroEdges larger? How does one find the specs of the OEM tires? I called the dealer and he said that it could be off 5mph+-. They said they can not adjust it. So my millage has been less ever since I changed to the HydroEdges.:eek:

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can look up tire specs at tirerack.com or on the manufacturer(s) website

The spec that you want is the Revs/Mile, which is derived from the rolling diameter.

Tire Specs for Michelin HydroEdge

856 revs/mile for 185/65R15

Tire Specs for Goodyear Integrity

855 revs/mile for 185/65R15 (Original Equipment Tire)

They are virtually the same for the same tire size. Did you change sizes when you got the Hydroedges?

4. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In July of last year, I took a highway trip to Cedar Point and did 4 separate 50 mile tests using the highway mile-markers on I 80-90 and each time the odometer was underreporting by 1.6%.

5. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My car has 1400 miles on it. It under reports on the odo too. Speedometer is right on though.

6. Big Wave Dave

Big Wave Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have just discovered an odometer problem on my wife's new 2008. We took it in for 10,000 mile service the day before Thanksgiving. 18 days later it is approaching 20,000...that's over 500 miles a day 7 days a week!!! She drives 120 miles RT to work and back...so I know she doesn't want to drive for "fun"....unless she is running dope from Mexico, something is haywire! We are taking it to the dealer in a couple of days...great way to save money on the warranty!!! No wonder Toyota isn't in the same fix as the Big Three!!!
    Anyone else experienced this degree of problem? What has been the outcome? Thanks, Dave