1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM foglights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ewilke, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ewilke

ewilke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I installed OEM foglights today the installation went well.
    It has the 2 relay system and I faked out the switch by grounding the orange and black wire and did nothing with the green and black.
    The good news I can run them as DRL the bad news is they DO NOT turn off when the car powers down.I have to turn the switch off when I turn the car off.
    I believe the problem is the red power wire in the fuse block.
    Does anyone know where to get ignition ON power in the engine bay.
    Or do I have to get it from inside the cabin.I was thinking the stereo power wire.
    Any input would be appreciated.

2. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may want to connect the low beam wire to the cigarette plug wire and not use the wire to the high beam. DO NOT disconnect the red wire from the fuse box. You don't want to overload the circuit when tapping that red wire to an accessory wire in the dash. Remember you are powering 2 55 watt bulbs. I know my fog switch(pilot light) only lights up when low beams are on and turns off when high beams are activated.

3. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You should be able to use the low beam line as a power to the relay - this way it will work using the light switch as designed.

Using the parking will give you the DRL function with the rear lights.

Since they don't work that well as fog lights -- placing some LED's in the sockets and using them as front only DRL may be a good idea.

4. ewilke

ewilke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks for the replies the OEM foglights seem to use a negative system to tell the foglights when the headlights are on or when the high beams are on. that is why I grounded the low beam side to let me use them without the headlights. the problem is I would like them to shut off with the car. I could wire them to the lowbeam but I would have to turn the lights on to use them.I don't like how dim the gauges are when the headlights are on during the day.I am trying to wire them as DRL's
    I will change the bulbs to LED's as well.

5. MikeHof

MikeHof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can make the gauges brighter in the day by turning the dimmer all the way up and then go past that til it clicks. It will be as bright as the dash is during the day without the lights on.

6. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If that's the case, you need to change the relay. Instead of using 2 relays, just use one with the positive trigger and hook it up to your ignition 2 position. Using ignition 2 as your trigger will not turn your foglights on when you are in accessory mode or ignition 1.