1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Offers to buy my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by er86, Aug 31, 2014.

1. er86

er86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I get regular offers to by my 2012 Prius since moving to Austin. They began with the Toyota dealer offering to buy the car and have now extended to the Nissan dealer. Unlike when I purchased my Prius there is plenty of inventory...why would anyone offer me nearly $3000 OVER the value of the car? Or are these just veiled marketing efforts and not a real offer to buy the car?

2. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    it's a ploy to get you on to that dealerships property don't fall for it throw away any and all papers you'll get some papers with keys,don't fall for it.

Merkey likes this.
  3. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    monthly I get mail that says they want my gen 3 car and that its in high demand you know what I do with that paper I go over to my and I shred the hell out of that bad boy it means nothing they just want to get you into a new longer term contract

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do like I do when I get regular offers in the mail to buy my house. Pitch them in the garbage. Remember, the rule IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT ISN'T.

5. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    They probably want you to trade it in for a shiny new car. Then they'll tell you that due to various little dings and scratches, the offer they gave you originally will now be lower to compensate for the "damage".

But hey, new car smell! Imagine driving this new baby home!

That's probably the gist of what you're getting. They'll undercut you, then overcharge the next sucker when they sell your car off.

Merkey likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you have strong willpower, (stronger than a car salesman) give it a shot. i'd be interested to hear what they say. i've never received one of these offers. take your phone and tell them you're recording everything.;)

7. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All dealerships do this to their former customers...as others have said, just ignore them. You are in the "sweet spot" of ownership on your 2012 so stick with it.

8. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its a trap to entice unwary car owners to buy their new cars. Trust me the letter will say it will give you $3500 above NADA ect ect you have to read that microscopic fine print, and besides these's are expert marketers that dealer hired to get people into their dealership, just toss them away and be happy that your not in debt...or even more in debt.

9. Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not familiar with Texas motor vehicle laws. Perhaps dealers get an incentive for getting high mpg cars off the road to spur the petroleum industry? ;)

10. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Big business runs this country. Nothing would surprise me.

11. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    After taking my car to a dealership for a free inspection, I received the following email:

Wrong from the outset. I don’t trust the dealer to service or maintain my car any further than I could throw my 12V battery. I perform most of the maintenance myself, and if my car had a problem, I’d take it to Luscious Garage.

Seriously? You mean to tell me that there is a long list of people that are looking specifically for 2005 package 6 Prii? Well, it does have low mileage. Perhaps you foresee a high profit margin in reselling a low mileage vehicle…?

Other than the free inspection, I have never had any service done at this dealership. The previous owners had maintenance performed at another dealership, but I doubt that is what they are referring to (I think it is unlikely that they took the time to browse through the service records).

And if I’m not ready to trade up, I’ll just be left without a car? Sounds great!

I contend that #2 is a euphemism for manipulating the 4 squares in order to milk me for the maximum possible profit.

Yes there is. You are pressuring me to stay away from your sleazy dealership. The next time I get a coupon in the mail for a “free inspection”, I’ll think twice before handing my FOB over to your service department.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm such a busy person that I don't have the time to take them up on the free offers......now reading this, I never will.