1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil! A Primer on Petroleum Exploration & Production

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by ewhanley, Jun 21, 2008.

1. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Chapter 2 of the below report is a most excellent summary of the US grid:

https://reports.energy.gov/

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cheers mate. Good stuff.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Please don't be discouraged by this constant barrage of distractions, ewhanley. Some of us are interested in
    A Primer on Petroleum Exploration & Production.

4. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We're just restless, we wouldn't be polluting this thread with idle banter if we weren't. Besides, FL_Prius_Driver's post about the grid link is somewhat germane to the topic and is worthwhile in it's own right, esp if you like dry gummint publications. ;)

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, it's killing me to know whether the kid was born yet. The suspense is bad for me

6. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Once again, I am terribly sorry about the slow progression of this series. I will add at least one more update this weekend. The baby is not here yet, but she is tentatively scheduled to be here in the next two weeks (albeit a little early). My wife and I have been going doctor appointments almost daily at this point, but so far, so good except for a few minor hiccups. Again, I am sorry this is dragging on so long, but it will be finished at some point.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't worry, I've gone through this with friends and co-workers. I think the suspense is part of the overall package

The closest I've come - as a single guy - is at 3am when one of the cats makes that huck-huck-huck-huck-koff-koff-koff-ack-ack-ack-HUCK! sound and produces a hairball on my bed, next to my head

I have it under good authority that childbirth follows almost the same sound effects and mess

Hang in there!

8. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So the last time I left off, a long, long time ago, we had completed drilling a successful exploration well - a very rare occurrence indeed. We sent our collected fluid samples to the lab for analysis, along with core samples to be tested for porosity, permeability, lithology, etc. We have also analyzed the results from our flowback tests, and we have some sort of an estimate of the volume of the reservoir.
    So, say we just received all of our data back from the lab, and the oil is fully saturated with gas in solution, and the crude oil is of the light, sweet variety. Light crude oil is defined by having an API gravity greater than 31.1 degrees. API gravity is a highly specialized "oilfield unit" that basically amounts to specific gravity. Saying that the crude is sweet means that it does not have hydrogen sulfide in significant quantities. Hydrogen sulfide is a weak acid that is extremely lethal in its gaseous state, and it also presents some major corrosion issues as well as complicates matters during the refining process.
    As I mentioned, we also have an estimate of the volume of the field based on flowback and shutin tests performed on the exploration well. The data gathered during well testing can be analyzed via a very, very abstract methodology called Pressure Transient Analysis (PTA). PTA is a very interesting topic of study, and a few (literally a handful of true experts at the global level) very smart folks have built careers on its premise in both industry and academia. In simplest terms, the flowrate that can be sustained, and the rate of recovery of pressure after the flowing well is shut in can be used to make a reasonably accurate estimate of reservoir volume, and it can even give hints about things like reservoir geometry, faults, and anisotropy. Let's assume that our results indicate that we have an economically significant reservoir volume. In fact, let's say our estimate is approximately 100 MM bbls (in the upstream petroleum industry M = 1000, thus MM = 1000*1000 = 1,000,000; also, bbl = barrel*). We shall assume 100 MM bbls for the sake of simplicity in calculations later on, but I should mention that a 100 MM bbl field is not particularly large.
    We have also analyzed our core samples in the lab, and we have arrived at some estimates for porosity, permeability, and wettability. The core samples show porosity on the order of 25-35%, which is quite good. The permeability, which has a much greater degree of uncertainty, has a range of 20 millidaricies to 2 Darcies. I mention uncertainty, and that is perhaps the single thing that defines reservoir engineering - narrowing uncertainty. You can never have enough data, and the information you have as well as estimates are in a continuous state of flux as they become ever more refined as new information becomes available. Narrowing uncertainty is key to developing fields economically by mitigating risk.
    So, we have completed a large amount of analysis, and have seemingly discovered a field which warrants closer examination. The process thus far has probably taken years and 10's of millions of dollars have been spent with nary a return on investment - exploration is stressful work. If this field were on the North Slope of Alaska, we would be packing up our equipment and waiting until next year, as the exploration season only lasts as long as the tundra is frozen and all exploration work is done from pads constructed of thick ice to minimize environmental impact. That being said, our imaginary field is in a location where we can proceed with appraisal drilling.
    Appraisal drilling is exactly what is sounds like. We have identified a candidate, and it is time to narrow our uncertainty about the field by trying to find out how expansive and continuous/discontinuous it is. The objective is to drill a few (perhaps 1 to 4) more wells in an attempt to delineate the structure of the field and find an oil water contact, if one exists. Our field is an anticlinal structure with a domed shape. Our oil sample analysis revealed that our oil is fully saturated with gas in solution, which suggests that a "gas cap" exists at the crest of the geologic structure. A gas cap is free gas that cannot go into solution, as the oil is already saturated. This is a good thing from a reservoir standpoint, as it provides a drive mechanism - a source of pressure to push the oil to surface. Though we suspect, and rightly so, that a gas cap is present, we will not drill an appraisal well at the crest of the structure to confirm this. Doing so would provide little useful data, and it would only serve to prove/disprove our hypothesis about the gas cap, which is not reason enough to spend money. We actually want to drill our appraisal wells near the flanks of the reservoir structure to search for its edge and/or an oil water contact. We are proposing to drill three appraisal wells, but we will only drill one at a time, so that planning for the subsequent wells can be revised and refined.
    So moving forward, we drill our first appraisal well using the same process as the exploration well. It is located nearer the flank of the structure than the original exploration well, though not quite at what we think to be the extreme margin (we don't want to drill a dry hole, as this provides no usable data). This second well again strikes oil in the same rock interval as the exploration well, and presumably the two are in the same reservoir. We did not gather core samples while drilling this well. We did, however, conduct flowback tests while monitoring pressure on our shut in exploration well. We saw a very, very slight drop in pressure in the shut in well while flowing the other, and this established that the two are both drilled into a continuous interval within the reservoir. This is good, as it indicates that our reservoir is laterally continuous and rather permeable. With this information, we proceed with the drilling of our second appraisal well, which is located nearer the flank of the structure than the first appraisal well. We strike the same interval as the first to wells, but this well is different. Oil is present, but so is a significant volume of water. We have found the oil water contact. Oil being less dense than water, migrates up in the reservoir and sits atop the water which sits lower in the reservoir, at the flanks of the dome structure. So we have now established that we have oil in significant quantities, a gas cap is likely present, the structure is flanked by water, and the producing interval appears to be porous, permeable, and continuous. Huzzah! We have a field that is likely worth being developed. Based on this, we will save some money and forgo drilling our third appraisal well, unless our lease stipulates that we must drill more wells in a given time period (let's assume we face no such stipulations).
    So the next step is to conduct a study and arrive at a development plan for the field. Development plans, and the research that they entail, are, in my opinion, the most interesting facet of upstream petroleum engineering, but I am a little biased.
    In the next installment, we shall create a development plan for the field - ahhh, science:). This requires much simulation work and uncertainty analysis as well as a plethora of economic analyses. Thank you all for bearing with me during my slow updates to this series.

*bbl is the standard unit of measurement for oil field volumes in the US, and indicates a volume of 42 US gallons. There is some dispute about origin of this abbreviation "bbl". I http://www.amazon.com/Prize-Epic-Quest-Money-Power/dp/0671799320 that its origins lie with "blue barrels" which held 42 gallons and were originally used for shipping fish, but were adopted in the early Pennsylvania oil fields. However, wikipedia provides a couple of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)"]alternate hypotheses[/ame] about the origin of bbl.

9. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Brilliant stuff, mate. Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. It's really quite interesting.

Is a flowback test similar to an aquifer test? If I recall my hydrology (which is a big if) you can do pump tests to characterize the aquifer (hydraulic conductivity, etc) in the vicinity of the well with just the pumping well, but having additional monitoring wells is better. Is that basically what you're doing in a flowback test? Is this used to give some indication of production rates?

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not at all, you're a better teacher than I am. This is great information for the layperson to understand how difficult oil exploration, extraction, and eventually refining, really is. Some fanboys make it seem almost brainless, which only proves they have zero experience in the field and no engineering concept whatsoever

Looking forward to more installments. Also looking forward to all the details about the impending offspring. Nudge nudge hint hint

11. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks. You are absolutely right about hydrology pump tests being similar to flowback tests. The premise is exactly the same. You draw down the reservoir or aquifer and monitor pressure and flow rates. The information is even more valuable if more than one well can be monitored simultaneously, as this establishes continuity across the field/aquifer. These tests can be used to establish an inflow performance curve, which is an indication of production rates. This curve is then used for things like simulation studies, sizing production tubing, and sizing surface production facilities.

Hydrology and reservoir engineering are basically parallel fields of study. They are nearly identical except for units of measure, and I am actually partial to hydrology units as they are consistent and less abstract than "oilfield units". Hydrology classes were some of my favorite in school, and I considered pursueing a career in the field, but, alas, $ conquers all (most).

Jayman - still no baby. We have another appointment in about two hours, and the delivery is tentatively slated for next wednesday. Stressful but exciting times.

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

A lot of things seem very simple when you don't have to concern yourself with the details of how to make it happen. ;)

13. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How far apart are these initial wells? Yards? Miles? Sort of basic, but that's why I'm reading.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why is it, I have a hunch the next installment will be in 22 years :D
    Thank for all the effort.

15. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm curious to see what happens to "drill baby, drill" now that the price of oil has taken a massive hit. I can't see the shelf oil being very profitable given the current prices. oil shale and tar sands will probably suffer too, can't say I'm sorry to see that happen. Of course, it's unclear how long demand will be surpressed. Once the global economy gets chugging again, demand go right back up.

17. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This should have been a wake up call. We need a real energy plan and policy with all types of energy where applicable.

If we start to drill responsibly by the time this all shakes out we should be doing something besides nothing.. like the last 30 years.

Implement as many alternatives as possible.

We can't wait another 30 years and find our selves in much worse shape than we are today.

18. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    IMO, it is a national security issue. We can develop alternative energy, or we can deal with people who dislike our interference in their affairs. We can send our money out of the country to buy and/or secure other nations oil reserves, or we can spend the money in the US to break our dependance on others.

19. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We'll have to see what the price of oil does in the next year or two. If it stays cheap we would have so massively subsidize the oil companies to produce the offshore stuff. I'm guessing that that stuff is not cheap to produce and requires a pretty hefty price/bbl to be economically feasible. Of course, the longer oil stays cheap the longer alternatives will suffer or require big subsidies to compete. I believe that the national security/environmental/public health arguments are compelling and we should really try to foster alternatives as much as possible. The long term trajectory for oil prices is up so this is all in our best interest. The problem is that it takes political will on the part of the people to see the mid/long term ramifications of our policies.

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Right now, oil is below the profitable, indeed the break-even, for Tar Sands. We're going to see a massive scaling-back of tarsands in Alberta. Some folks would say that's a good thing, eg the increased energy and water consumption required for syncrude production, or the need for settling ponds full of toxic goo

The Hibernia oil development is actually managed by a Crown Corporation, the Hibernia Management and Development Corp. This ensures that oil companies like Exxon can laugh all the way to the bank no matter what the price of oil is - the Canadian taxpayer will make up the difference

With a serious global recession, crude demand and prices falling as a result, expect to see any serious discussion of oil independance and alternative energy thrown out the window. Then, in 4-6 years time, we'll be back in the same mess, whining why nobody did anything