1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Analysis Result - 10k miles on Toyota 0w-20

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, May 11, 2012.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Think in averages though. The average Prius in the US lives in a much more temperate climate than the average Prius of Canada.

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt it's good for the engine, but I really think that the engine will be the least of my concerns with this car.

3. sharaty

sharaty New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have 2014 Prius and just did first oil change at 7500 mi and sending oil in for analysis to Blackstone for the first time. Live in Wisconsin (can get to 20 - 30 below zero in winter) and drive almost exclusively highway miles - 30K a year. Would like input on using the Toyota 0W20 synthetic verses the Mobil one. Can get the Mobile one for $2.50 a quart less - but am interested in maximizing the engine life. Plan to keep car and would like run it to 250K - 300K miles. Thanks

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than brand loyalty debates, I've never read an actual report of anyone on PC having a problem specifically caused by using Mobil 1.
    I used it in my Prius 5, in my PIP and I intend to use it in my Volt.

If you want to go above and beyond- take a look at the TRD filters for the Prius!

5. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a short rabbit trail here...but what is the oil change schedule like for the Volt?

6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's got the Oil Life Indicator system- most get 7500mi on the low side to over 10,000+ miles per change.
    In cases where the ICE doesn't run for enough to wear out or contaminate the oil- it's recommended to change it at 2-year intervals regardless of the (lack of) miles on the ICE. From my driving habits (1.5 full work weeks commute, 550mi on the ODO) the ICE hasn't started since I bought the Volt- so I'll be changing the oil at the 2 year anniversary it seems.

markabele likes this.
  7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the exact reason I don't think people need to freak out about changing the oil every 10k in the PiP if they do a lot of EV miles.

8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed!
    My lifetime EV ratio with the PIP was about 40%, so the ICE didn't hit 10K miles till I had over 16,500 miles on the odometer.

9. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just visualize Oil Analysis testing as the automotive equivalent of getting a blood-test for HEPATITUS or AIDS...information that ALL IS WELL--or NOT.