1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change frequency: Seldom driven

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by daniel, Jun 29, 2013.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Background: Since buying the Zap Xebra 6 years ago, and even more so since buying the Tesla two years ago, I drive the 2004 Prius very seldom: Once a year I drive it up to Canada for my summer hiking trip; when I travel I drive it to the airport; and a couple of times a year I use it to haul the recycling. Total, less than a thousand miles a year.

For most of that time I've had the oil changed once a year, before the long trip up to Canada. But my question is: Driving it so little, is a yearly oil change even necessary?

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably to remove contaminants in the oil or built up condensation. With an oil change costing around $25 and you can obviously afford it owning a Tesla, just change the oil and don't worry about it.

04prius123 likes this.
  3. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My BP is 10 months old went to the dealer for the free 5,000 mile visit
    I asked the dealer . He said with oil changes , at least on the 2012. Change
    Oil once a year OR 10,000 miles . Synthetic

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whichever comes last.

5. calirider

calirider ECOmobile

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once a year is what you should do. Like you said just before you put a bunch of miles on it on a long trip is a good idea.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You could probably be fine doing it every two years. The long trip will cook off any moisture that accumulated during the time sitting. That moisture is the biggee from sitting. The oil does oxidize also, but the filter and additives should handle any reactants from that.

That said, it's just easier to remember to do it once a year. I'd use the cheapest oil that meets specs doing it myself.

Couldn't you borrow or rent the few times you actually need to use the Prius. There are other maintenance issues that can come up with cars that mostly sit. I know personally that the grease on the brake slide pins can dry up and lead to dragging brakes. A friend had to park a car for a year. It got driven back and forth on the driveway weekly to keep the fluids turned over. Wasn't enough for the struts though. Once back on the road, the strut piston seized, smashed through the strut mount and pounded a quarter sized, half inch high bump into the hood.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll have the oil changed. It's not the cost, just the bother I was hoping to avoid. I'll tell them how seldom I drive it and ask them to check anything that might deteriorate from lack of use. The car does get driven maybe once every couple of months, since I take it to the airport when I travel, plus a couple of trips a year to the recycling place.

As for borrowing or renting: Borrowing is out, and renting is problematic because I drive to Canada, and stay there for a month and a half. I recently rented a car while on a trip and it cost $70 per day. That would come to $3,000 for my six-week stay in Canada. And my Prius is the most fuel-efficient car I could take on the trip since I'm not willing to turn a 7-hour drive into a 10 or 12 hour trip with an EV and a charging stop. (No superchargers where I go.)

I'll get my oil changed before the trip. Thanks, everyone.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Another option is have the oil tested. Blackwell labs, I believe is the name, is a commonly used one. Send in a sample. and see if they say you should change or not. It isn't much cheaper than an oil change, but once you know how long that brand of oil lasts, you can go by that change interval.