1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change on v just like standard Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Guill, Mar 23, 2012.

1. h-dogg

h-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Andy, for the detailed pics. I will have to do this once my wife's Prius v is done with the free maintenance. This will be my first time changing the oil and filter on a Prius.

2. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is the bottom cover of the necessary at all? My 2008 hatchback didn't have this. Can you just leave it off?

3. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If I might dredge a little more, is there a reason you chose the F103S rather than the F103N? Do you think the longer nipple on the N would be a problem? I'm a tiny bit concerned about the hose falling off the short nipple, although if the longer one came too close to the cover, I think I'd opt for one risk over the other.

Thanks.

4. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oops. Nevermind. I now see that the "S" version takes care of this by including hardware to attach a hose. Good deal. I'll be getting them directly from quikvalve.

5. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First, it was your photo essay that gave me the info to make sure I'd be all set when I did this myself, right down to the Fumoto. Thank you. I was wondering if you attach the little white plastic piece that comes with the valve and leave it there or not. I bought the length of hose that Quikvalve sells to go with it, just to make sure it would fit, but of course won't need it until next time (November?)

I'd be very interested in hearing about any solutions to the idiot fasteners holding the under cover up. (Say THAT three times fast!) I hate them. Always have, always will. My thought was that a Molly Bolt, if designed and sized for this purpose might work, or if I knew of a glue that would not eventually breaking, just a blind nut with a shallow shank glued to the far side of the non-moving piece would be about ideal.

6. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    glad the pictures were helpful!

I leave the white plastic piece attached to ~12" of hose. Then I just clip the hose+plastic piece onto the valve when I drain the oil.

And here is my thread about my oil door fix: I fixed the @#&% oil door! | PriusChat
    For an update, it's still working fine. My only recommendation is that ALL fasteners should be brass or stainless. I didn't have enough stainless hardware of the proper sizes when I first installed my hinges & clips, but I've since replaced everything (bolts, washers, and nylon-insert lock-nuts) with stainless, and it's great now.
    Every time I work on the car I sure appreciate having it hinged and removable!

Andy

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you Andy for all the details. I printed oil change instructions from TIS. About folding back the flap instructions note to use one clip to pin the flap open, 180 degrees. I just finished my 2 yr free maintenance so I am not able to confirm one is able to actually do this....

Also, before draining the oil from the plug it says to open oil filler cap. Sorry, not sure that is already in your instructions.

I'm not sure I'd go past the recommended oil change interval without an oil analysis. The filter will not remove things such as acids. To be on the safer side you can look at the oil specs for the TBN number. The higher the Total Base Number, the more it absorbs the acids of concern. This is one indicator for the longer change interval you are looking for. High change interval oils have a number above 10, ie. Mercedes recommends Mobil 1 0W-40 @ 10k intervals on newer models.

SCH-R530M ?

#27 jzchen, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  8. dk_brookdale

dk_brookdale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

#28 dk_brookdale, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just read through the instructions that I printed. It mentions nothing about having the vehicle level, although most instructions on cars that I have seen/worked on do say to do it on a level surface.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure about the v, but the drain plug on my Camry and Prius hatchback are on the lower back edge of the oil pan. Having the car with the front elevated actually assists in draining the oil from the pan.

SCH-I535

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's exactly the same on the "v."

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To be safe what I do is usually try to do the oil change while all four wheels are still on the ground. I basically squeeze under. With the filter being on the bottom, unlike other cars I have begun to appreciate, you can jack it up, drain, lower it when it stops draining, and then raise it back up to put things back together. If more oil drains out when you lower it then you know to do the same in the future.

SCH-R530M ?

13. zxcvb4531

zxcvb4531 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    great instructions, I did first just by reading pictures help

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just noticed the "FOR SERVICE" arrow in the pictures. I'm assuming that's the place you pin the flap back with one of the 3 pins you have to remove...