1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change Question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tposs001, Apr 18, 2014.

1. tposs001

tposs001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Does switching back to standard oil damage motor?

For the past 4 Oil Changes, I have been using 5w-30 G-Oil synthetic oil.
    I was using it because they had several promotions with mail in rebates, and it turned out to be free. I also had several FRAN extended life oil filters with rebates that turned out to be $2 after rebate.
    Oil changes were done @ 5000 Mile intervals

Now my questions comes; I can't get the synthetic oil for free anymore, and have several free vouchers for Jiffy Lube for a "standard oil change" which would probably mean not synthetic. Would that affect the motor in some way?

Thanks

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, it shouldn't. Esp if you're going to continue 5k mile intervals. Even dino oil should hold up for that long with no problems whatsoever.

3. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You could probably add the synthetic oil to your Jiffy Lube freebies for the cost of the oil.

And for what its worth, I'd never let Jiffy Lube touch my car. Far too many horror stories from others - including the case where they didn't replace the drain plug.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think that the dino oil will hurt the motor at all.
    Your motor is 12 years old.
    If it's not using oil and you're changing your oil every 5k miles then you're probably not going to have any oil related problems with the motor now or ever.

There are people that say that if you use this filter or you don't use this or that designer blend of synth-o-oil then your motor will explode.
    I've used Castrol 5w30 for years and I've also used Fram filters since I can get both in any city or town that I happen to be in at the time. I've never had any oil related problem with any motorcycle, car, tractor, or other ICE that I've owned, and more often than not I put WAY over 100,000 miles on a car before I even think about getting rid of it.
    The main thing is that filters and fluids need to be checked and changed, and you do have to use fluids specified by the people who built your car.
    Many owners trade their cars out every 3 years or so or never see 200,000 on their odometers, and so their "expert advice" is often based on second or third hand information since almost ANY ICE will get to 100,000 miles even if you skip a few oil changes.
    This is especially true in the motorcycle community where it's a very rare rider indeed who will put 100,000 miles on a bike or bikes.

Change your oil.
    IIRC, for a G1 the 5w30 will be fine with a 5K interval.
    Check the dipstick at least semi-occasionally, and investigate any volume loss and monitor your fuel efficiency.

You'll be fine.

5. tposs001

tposs001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the suggestions.