1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change video..?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MN Jack, May 20, 2014.

1. MN Jack

MN Jack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone have, or know of where, in the Prius C forum and/or on the internet I can view a "How To" change oil on the 2013 Prius C, even the 2012, 2014..? Also resetting the maintenance light..?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's not already on YouTube, try watching your mechanic closely the next time he does your oil change

SM-N900P ?

3. MN Jack

MN Jack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing on you tube yet for the Pricus C, been looking for over a month. Thanks for the help.

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't do a video, but I did a thread on oil change for the C.

Here.

It isn't difficult, and everything is easy to reach. You would need a set of ramps or a jack with two jackstands, drain plug wrench, oil filter wrench or socket, a drain pan, 4qts of oil, a filter, a funnel to pour oil into the engine and to pour used oil into whatever container you use to take the oil in for recycling, and some paper towels for cleanup. I also use latex gloves to keep the oil off my hands.

I rotate tires every 10k miles, so the jack and jackstands are a good investment if you have a place to put them.

I've taught a number of people to change their own oil. They have all been amazed at how easy it was when they were done.

minkus and MN Jack like this.
  5. MN Jack

MN Jack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I came across your thread on oil change, on the Prius C, after I posted and found your highly informative instructions to be very helpful. You actually answered all my questions and concerns about doing an oil change on the C. Thank You..!

6. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Glad to be of help.

Just last weekend I let son-in-law use my tools and guidance to do his first solo oil change, and on their new Mazda3. Then all the wimmen and chillen show up with lawn chairs to watch. Yikes!

We worked through it, though, and much fun was had by all in the end.

7. MN Jack

MN Jack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand there is a "Maintenance Warning Light" that has to be re-set after the oil change. How is that reset..?

8. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    To reset the data, follow the procedures described below:

Vehicles without a smart key system
    Switch the display to the odometer (P. 188) and then turn the engine switch off.

Vehicles with a smart key system
    Switch the display to the odometer (P. 188) and then turn the “POWER” switch off.

Vehicles without a smart key system
    Turn the engine switch to the “ON” position. The multi-information display's initial screen will be displayed for a few seconds. While the initial screen is being displayed, press the “TRIP” steering switch (P. 186) 3 times, pressing and holding the switch on the third
    time.

Vehicles with a smart key system
    Turn the “POWER” switch to ON mode. The multi-information display's initial screen will be displayed for a few seconds. While the initial screen is being displayed, press the “TRIP” steering switch (P. 186) 3 times, pressing and holding the switch on the third time.

Continue to press and hold the button until the trip meter displays “000000”.

This, and other wonderful information, can be found in the owner's manual.

minkus and AliIzad like this.
  9. MN Jack

MN Jack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again, MR.I

10. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you - this will come in handy in 14,000 miles. The shopping list is especially helpful. Normally I find a coupon for a $17 oil change, but the price increase for the synthetic 0w20 is quite steep.

To continue the shopping list:

Any tips on where to get the best deal on 0w20, or is the best place the dealer (what's their price?)? Here's what I found:
    How 'bout filters?
    • Autozone, various brands, $3.59 - $15
    • Toyota OEM filters, on Amazon: $6 for one, $25.50 for 5 ($5.10 each), $48 for 10 ($4.80 each)
    and drain plug gaskets ($9 for 10) - do I need to change these at each oil change, and are they not included with the filter?