1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeanie P, May 3, 2016.

1. Jeanie P

Jeanie P New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well... I got confirmation from my local dealership that the prius' are losing oil. My 2008 failed the consumption test miserably. I have taken meticulous care of this car. I have to add oil every 1000 miles. This is the same issue people have had with the Corollas and Camrys. However, Toyota did an extended warranty with those vehicles and put a new motor in them at no cost to the car owner. Toyota (corporate) is refusing to do this for Prius owners and their answer was "trade it in". This car was supposed to be passed down to my daughter. I have been a Toyota fan but now I am very disappointed. Toyota's response was unacceptable. I just got off the phone with Toyota again about the same issue with my 2008 and they said although they have replaced the motors in Camry's and Corolla's for this same issue, they have not received enough complaints with the Prius and are not doing anything for us! Complain to Toyota. My neighbors have a 2007 Camry and a 2006 Corolla and both of them got new motors covered by Toyota.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you lost the lottery, most of us never had a consumption problem in gen 2. sorry, life happens.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    one time negative post, likely trolling.

5. butterly3115

butterly3115 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you have any luck with Toyota on fixing this problem? I also have a 2008 and has always been serviced by dealership the car was purchased from. The last oil change I told them a warning light was on and they said nothing came up wrong and it must have been something I did. Then yesterday and oil light came on I wasnt due for an oil change so I checked my oil level and it was completely empty. Drove a mile to dealership and thatswhen they told me about a service bulletin of the oil consumption needing repair, but my car is out of warranty so they want $3800 to fix. Ive read on here these cars have this issue but they dont want to do a recall.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't read on here about the 2008 having this issue.

how many miles have you put on since the last oil change?

7. butterly3115

butterly3115 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Less then the 5000 I was about 700 away from the next service which I was going to do next week. They said I have to have the pistons and piston rings replaced. That Toyota knows of the issue but they are not doing a recall

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much oil did they put in to bring it back to full?

9. butterly3115

butterly3115 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just looked at the receipt and it doesnt say just says 1.0 motor oil fill and they charged a flat rate. I could call and ask them. They said I need to check dip stick a couple days that it burns fast with this issue

10. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So how come you never inspect after oil change your oil level....and confirm other parts that where done before paying for service
    Remember you are QA this is your car and always check and inspect before you pay at any service......

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    5000 miles is the recommended distance between changing the oil, not between checking the oil. You need to check the oil level from time to time, especially in a 9+ year old car.

#12 uart, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  13. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You've got to check the oil often on these engines. All four of the gen 2's in the family drink oil at 150,000+ miles. It's more rare for a higher mileage Prius to not drink oil than to drink. Sad reality. Also have friends that drive Prii and all of theirs consume oil too. Toyota corporate doesn't care/recognizes us unfortunately

14. butterly3115

butterly3115 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 90k miles on this and have always dealer serviced Im just mad that my extended warranty just ran out so they say I need to replace my pistons.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  15. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Call Toyota corporate TODAY.

16. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    800-331-4331

Samprocat likes this.
  17. butterly3115

butterly3115 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I already called and put in a claim, they were no help just said I am responsible for maintaining the car. They said a recall is issues they would refund me but she didnt sound to convincing. :(

18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Consider this: 1 quart of oil costs $2. Assume you burn 1 quart every 1000 miles same as OP. That's $20 worth of oil to buy a year at your annual mileage. Just add a quart of oil every other tank of gas.

Let me be clear. The dealer wants to replace your pistons after the expiration of warranty because they need to make their next boat payments. It's not a coincidence they want to replace it now. Are you really going to spend hundreds of dollars to repair it rather than spend a couple minutes and a couple $'s once a month?

Don't let the dealer sucker you in for a simple maintenance tasks.

I remember, the manager of the McDonalds I worked at had an oil burner car. You know what she did? Instead of getting her hands dirty, she asked one of us 16 year old hourly employees open her hood and pour oil in her engine every one in awhile. Brilliant woman.

Raytheeagle and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sad to say, you have to check your oil level, periodically. The oil consumption, and a partial oil-starved condition, could have been going on for a long time. When dealerships drain the oil at a change they very likely won't check the level. Anyway, is-what-it-is now, but for next time.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    learn how to check the oil and start monitoring it everyday until you get a handle on how much oil you're burning. when it gets to the low mark, fill to the high mark, and track how much you're adding. after a couple weeks you'll be abler to start spreading out the checking interval.
    hopefully, you didn't do too much damage when you ran low.

valde3 and Mendel Leisk like this.